Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
louda
Registered Users
seller

Diaper stink!!! please help

Hello everyone! I need some help please!! I have been using bum genius 4.0 one size pocket diapers for about a year and have had such a nightmare of a time with getting these guys clean.....I have a front loader and I have heard that can give people trouble so I have put saturated towels in with the diapers to trick the washer, bleached them every two weeks(which I HATE, I then have to rinse like 4 times so my son doesn't get a rash from bleach residue).....I have used a million different detergents(all cloth diaper approved) we are currently using allen's what ends up happening is I have to wash the diapers 4 or 5 times to get them to not smell and to rinse out detergent...I have used less detergent and they smell still.....SO I switched to prefolds and thirsties covers and I love them, but today I noticed a smell after the hot cycle and ended up having to pretty much do the same thing with these.....I washed them 4 times....is this normal......I have heard that maybe it is my water and I should try rockin green....honestly I am about to throw in the towel on the cloth diapers......I am getting ready to have another baby and I need to figure this out before he arrives at the end of august!!!!!!

Advertisement

louda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diaper stink!!! please help

i say no way to rock n green! I use bleach every wash and love it. I put it in the 1st wash so the second wash with tide washes out the bleach. I also use Calgon (water softener) with the tide even tho i dont have hard water its a detergent booster too! I have heard the problem with FL's are that there is not as much water going in so i would make sure you use HE detergent. also if its a full load of diapers i would skip adding towels because of lack of water anyway..here is my wash routine if you are interested and i have zero stink issues

1 wash with 1/4 cup bleach (never add to bleach dispenser in a FL, mix with a pitcher of water and add directly to washer)
1 wash with liquid tide and calgon
1 quick wash with nothing/or extra rinse

it also may be as simple as you need to strip..if you havent stripped between switching all those detergents you may have some soap build up. some recommend RLR but i just use orginal dawn dish soap (or any ol dish soap works)

good luck getting rid of the stinkies mamma!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #3
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i say no way to rock n green! I use bleach every wash and love it. I put it in the 1st wash so the second wash with tide washes out the bleach. I also use Calgon (water softener) with the tide even tho i dont have hard water its a detergent booster too! I have heard the problem with FL's are that there is not as much water going in so i would make sure you use HE detergent. also if its a full load of diapers i would skip adding towels because of lack of water anyway..here is my wash routine if you are interested and i have zero stink issues

1 wash with 1/4 cup bleach (never add to bleach dispenser in a FL, mix with a pitcher of water and add directly to washer)
1 wash with liquid tide and calgon
1 quick wash with nothing/or extra rinse

it also may be as simple as you need to strip..if you havent stripped between switching all those detergents you may have some soap build up. some recommend RLR but i just use orginal dawn dish soap (or any ol dish soap works)

good luck getting rid of the stinkies mamma!
Old 07-31-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

First bleach is perfectly fine to use and BG recommends it. I would advise 1/4 cup. Second there is no such thing as CD safe detergent. If it works for you it is CD safe. Tide, Gain, Dreft, All etc. are fine, fine, fine to use. Ignore everything you were told about detergents and using less of it to clean dirty diapers because it's all false. The problem and solution is actually very simple. They smell because they are dirty and holding onto bacteria so to fix it you need to get them clean! DO NOT try RnG.

Take whatever gets your clothes clean and use that on your clothes. Use the full amount that you would use for a full load of soiled laundry. I have had the best luck (as have many others) with Tide but try what is already working for you first. There is absolutely nothing different about a prefold vs. a towel that has been pooped on. Do not use less detergent. Keep adding water to your FL if you need to but do not skimp on the detergent.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote