Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you're a balance between minimalist and addicted hoarder, please give me advice!

I will try to keep this short, but I tend to post novels. Feel free to skip down to my stash stats and give your input.

My stash feels out of control so I've been selling a lot. I've sold off 35+
diapers/inserts in the past few weeks. It feels AMAZING to de-stash and I will continue to sell a little at a time until the baby is here. What I need help with is figuring out what to keep and if I should add anything to finalize our new stash.

Since DD isn't showing interest in PL'ing and I'll likely have another big baby who won't be in NB dipes long, I'm trying to focus on a *mostly* GN, OS stash.

I don't want a minimalist stash. If I downsize too much I'll probably get bored and start buying again but I also don't want a massive, overwhelming stash like I have right now.

Here is what I have in our regular stash. Please help me decide what to sell/keep (this does not include what is already set aside to sell or the newbie's NB stash which I'll sell when he outgrows it):

20 ish fitteds:
3 GM
3 ODC
2 Imagine
2 Sandy's
The rest are GMD Workhorse and SBISH.

Covers:
4 Flip
8 Thirsties size 2
3 Capri size 2 (LOVE these)
1 Litewrap

Prefolds:
18 medium Imagine
12 large Imagine
12 Thirsties hemp size 2

Inserts:
30 Alva bamboo (it seems like a ton, I know, but I have to use 2 for DD)
6 Thirsties hemp
2 Flip organic (love these)
2 FuzziBunz minky
5 JoeyBunz
8 gCloth
5 BestBottom hemp (we use these in our AI2s)

AIOs/AI2s
20ish BGEs/BGOs
12 Ragababes
2 Tots Bots
4 Nana's Bottoms
3 Imagine
5 Chelory (2 AI2s, 3 AIOS)

Pockets:
4 Alvas
4 BG 4.0 (all artist series)
3 Fuzzibunz

Wool:
3 SBISH longies
2 SBISH soakers
2 LoveyBums soakers (matching for DD and Baby)
about 8 other various pieces of wool as well as some ITW (2 soakers for DD and a pair of longies and 2 shorties for Baby).

I'm thinking I might sell off the FuzziBunz along with some of the Thirsties PFs and about half of our inserts.

I'm very tempted by the BG buy 5 get 1 free sale because we LOVE BG products. 4.0s are really the only pockets I like and there are a few colors I'd love to have doubles of that we only have one of (in the Elemental).

What do you think? Should I just focus on selling off what I already have set aside and leave our stash as is until Baby comes? I know some things might work for him that don't work for DD and vice versa. Maybe it makes more sense to wait... I'm trying to be practical without going too far off the deep end because I KNOW I'll just end up buying more if I do that.

ETA: I'm definitely keeping all the BGE/BGOs because we use them constantly and if I lose my mind and sell every other diaper we own, those are the ones I'd keep.

Advertisement

Last edited by el's mama; 07-21-2012 at 06:55 PM.
el's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I limit myself to owning only 4 or 5 days worth of diapers (not including prefolds for burp rags). You dont need more than the maximum you would ever go between washes. Buy and sell as needed, but if you are at your quota sell before you buy.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: If you're a balance between minimalist and addicted hoarder, please give me advic

I would wait until you know what will work on the new baby. Then sell what just isn't working for you. Otherwise you may wind up selling the very diaper that works best for your new little one.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: If you're a balance between minimalist and addicted hoarder, please give me advic

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliasmom View Post
I limit myself to owning only 4 or 5 days worth of diapers (not including prefolds for burp rags). You dont need more than the maximum you would ever go between washes. Buy and sell as needed, but if you are at your quota sell before you buy.
True, I don't *need* more than that....but only having what I need to go between washings would be a minimalist stash to me and I'm not ready to go there. I like having a variety and we do use every type of diaper we have, we just don't use each and every diaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I would wait until you know what will work on the new baby. Then sell what just isn't working for you. Otherwise you may wind up selling the very diaper that works best for your new little one.
I've been leaning towards this when I have the fleeting thought to sell off everything except BGEs and PFs/covers. What works on a 5 month old is often very different than what works on a 2yr old. I have plenty to sell before I get to what's left in our diaper dresser.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

I agree with pp wait until baby comes to see if you like what you have on that baby, with the exception of any style or type that you hate such as if you just prefer aplix or snaps.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I feel your pain mama. I too am Dr Jekyll/Mr Hyde with whether to be minimalist or ADD hoarder lol.

If I was to streamline that stash, I would get rid of all the pockets and their inserts. That would be many fewer individual pieces and I think stuffing on top of all the laundry sorting you will be doing, is just too much. I might also ditch some of your less preferred AI2 inserts since you have tons of prefolds including the Thirsties Duo hemp ones which are awesome. I wouldn't streamline much more than that though because I think you have a nice variety - I have AIOs, AI2s/prefolds/flats, and fitteds with some wool as my stash and I have been very happy with it just enough variety to keep things interesting! Just my two cents, good luck with the new addition!
Old 07-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Zepp
DS Addict
Formerly: K*B*T*M*
seller
seller

My Mood:
Hh well what's your preference to type of dipe?

Sent from my iPhone- forgive the craziness
Old 07-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
juliasmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by el's mama View Post
True, I don't *need* more than that....but only having what I need to go between washings would be a minimalist stash to me and I'm not ready to go there. I like having a variety and we do use every type of diaper we have, we just don't use each and every diaper.

I've been leaning towards this when I have the fleeting thought to sell off everything except BGEs and PFs/covers. What works on a 5 month old is often very different than what works on a 2yr old. I have plenty to sell before I get to what's left in our diaper dresser.
I guess my stash nirvana is minimalist then! I know that I like to use mostly fitteds and breathable covers regardless of the baby's age or even shape. I don't like having too many options...I like to have plenty of my preferred diapers so I am never stuck using the it's-wash-day-and-I already-used-up-my-favs diapers. I don't have less than 6 of any type of diaper. I also use sized mostly and I don't care for OS, but remarkably the favorites on my 2 yo at the time of PLing are also my favorites on my 2 month old newbie...GMD WH fitteds and Loveybums wool pullons. I would probably be fine with having a stash with nothing else but 48 WH fitteds, a bunch of bamboo doublers and 8 LBs pullons.

My whole size small stash:
24 yellow edge GMD workhorse fitteds
6 small motherease bamboo Sandys (we use these at night)
6 SBish snapless
24 GMD yellow edge prefolds
doublers

6 wool covers (Loveybums and WCW pullons and a few wraps)
6 fleece wraps
3 Nikky cotton wraps

I never run out of diapers, but they aren't coming out of our ears. I love the simplicity!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
el's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissed by the Moon View Post
Hh well what's your preference to type of dipe?

Sent from my iPhone- forgive the craziness
Right now AIOs are definitely our favorite. I find that when I'm leaving the house I ALWAYS reach for our BGEs. They're trim, never leak, are one piece and they are easy to repurchase if the unthinkable happened and I lost one. I do love PFs/covers during infancy though. I've wondered a few times if I should de-stash down to BGEs and PFs/covers... I do think I should keep a few pockets though so that I have a stay dry option in case the newbie is sensitive.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #10
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think you should just do the pfs and bges. Pockets would be easy to replace if you need to.