Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
GotAllBoys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question LO won't stop scratching his butt!! Rash?

Okay, so my little one keeps scratching in the same area on his butt EVERYTIME I take his diaper off for changes or bath. It's not red until he keeps scratching at it then it turns bright red. The only thing I've changed lately is he started solids so I started using Grovia bioliners because I don't have a sprayer (yet). I ordered a sprayer but she's out of stock and it won't be here for a few weeks.

Do you think he's really itchy or is he just interested in the cause and effect of what scratching & grabbing feels like? He's almost 6 months and is just starting to discover his "bits and pieces" of his body if you kwim. It started with him grabbing his "bits" and SQUEEZING so hard it made my husband squirm (lo didn't seem to care). He did that for a few days and then added in the scratching so now he grabs his bits with right hand and scratches his butt with left

If it was bio liners I'd think he'd be red in the area the bio liner sits.. but he only scratches at the top of his left butt (because that's how far his arm reaches). I could use fleece liners for a few weeks and see if anything changes. Those are at least easier to rinse in the toilet. I keep hearing about suede cloth irritations, I use a mix of stay dry and cotton, about half and half. But again, I'd think that would show up some sort of irritation before scratching.

What I really think it is is I can sometimes get sensitive skin after showers and usually use oil or something, and his skin looks like mine where he gets tiny red lines along his tummy after a bath and I usually massage him with coconut oil after baths (he seems to love it). Maybe that's all it is? If that's it maybe I won't bath him every night. I stopped using baby bath in his bath, maybe I should add a bit of oil to the water?

Advertisement

GotAllBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
jmoon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: LO won't stop scratching his butt!! Rash?

I don't know about your lo, but m ds is 4 1/2 and he has been scratching his but since he was 1! He doesn't have a rash, or bites or anything! He just is always constantly doing it! It drives me nuts, but he won't stop. Maybe it is just a "thing" a tick or something?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
gghmommy
Registered Users

pinworms can also cause itchy butt, it's easy to get them from playing in the dirt, putting hands in mouth... just a thought.
gghmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Micheliala
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my older ds had eczema really bad when he was that age, it manifested worse after he started solids. He wouldn't look like anything on his tush but as soon as the diaper was off he was itching frantically.
In your situation I would change anything that was new, like the liners. There definitely could be something in them causing irritation. I think coconut oil would also be an awesome idea on that area of his bum that he's most itchy on. See what happens
Oh and just as an aside I do think exploration is normal to this age group but not itching. I could be wrong but from personal experience and 5 kids itching has only ever meant something was bothering them. Good luck mama, I know how frustrating it can be to figure these things out

Hyenacart, Babyshapes on Etsy
Micheliala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

My 22 month old CONSTANTLY scratches her butt and her girly bits the moment the diaper comes off. She always has, since she had the control to intentionally do it. As soon as the diaper comes off, her hands go there. Strip her down to give her a bath and she is constantly scratching, butt, girly bits, even her belly. There's no visible rash, something that seems to actually bother her. But, I think she's got some sensory things going on, so I am sure that's it.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
MommyZ of 2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoon
I don't know about your lo, but m ds is 4 1/2 and he has been scratching his but since he was 1! He doesn't have a rash, or bites or anything! He just is always constantly doing it! It drives me nuts, but he won't stop. Maybe it is just a "thing" a tick or something?
My ds is the same age and does this, too, forever! He has damaged the skin there, too. Always at the top of the crack, and he exacerbates it by twirling the tags on his undies or pants. When I ask him why he does this he says its not itchy, but it feels good to scratch there. IDK.
MommyZ of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
GotAllBoys
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micheliala View Post
Oh and just as an aside I do think exploration is normal to this age group but not itching. I could be wrong but from personal experience and 5 kids itching has only ever meant something was bothering them.
Okay ladies, so I stopped using the disposable liners and he's still scratching. Next I'm going to try to stay away from suede cloth for a week and see if that does it. I don't now if I can as most of my stash is flip stay dry and I just ordered 4.0's :bang head: but I think I have enough cotton options to do it if I wash a bit more often.

What does suede cloth irritations look like?

Amy
GotAllBoys is offline   Reply With Quote