Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
Lanae
Registered Users
Formerly: Lanae~1st time mom
seller

Location: Hawaii-Oahu, DH-Deployment to Iraq, My home state-TN
My Mood:
Help me do it!

My house is barely live able much less tolerable and we aren't even all the way unpacked but I'm so scared that if I get rid of stuff I will regret it! Tell me that's ridiculous! I always have this fear that as soon as I let it go I'll need it and my house is just way overcrowded! Please help me! I still have boxes to unpack and nowhere to put things!

Like, I want to let go of some dishes but then I worry that when we have company again we won't have enough! How many dishes do you keep for a family of 2 adults, one 20mo old, and one on the way in March.

I've cleared out Ds toys and yet his room still feels way too small! We didn't want to toss our antique guest bed (full size) so we let him have it since he REALLY wanted a bed like mama (which has kept him out of our bed). But even with just a bed and dresser in his room and two bookshelves IN his closet, it just feels there's no room! I donated all of his plastic toys and only kept the wood ones, two vintage pull toys, and two battery toys (like a leapfrog laptop) and all his books (cause I figure you can't go wrong with books). His diapers are on top of the dresser and is nicely put away, his drawers are sparse with clothing (Except socks which keep disappearing) and he only has one pair of shoes.

I'd love to get him a smaller bed to give him more room but we only have a 3 bdrm house and I really like having the option to put Ds with us or converting the crib to a toddler bed for the night if needed to let company have the bed. Not to mention, I can barely pay the bills and pay off our moving expenses so it's just not in the cards to buy him a new bed.

I feel like I'm ranting! I just don't know what to do! I'd hate to get rid of any more of Ds toys cause I'm pregnant again and I know they are expensive!

I'm just so scared to "throw stuff away". I can't sell much locally because I don't have a car to meet people and I don't think ppl would be interested in what I have after shipping costs.

Please help me not hate my new house!

Advertisement

Lanae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #2
littleangelmommy3775
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Help me do it!

I am not very good at keeping a minimalist house although I have been getting a little better. I would look at how often do you actually have company. That was the point you kept coming back to with the dishes and the extra bedroom. We dont have company over often and when we do they can sleep on the futon. There are 5 of us total and we have way too many dishes. The kids eat off of little plastic plates so they dont break the dishes so normally we only use 2 plates a night.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Lanae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleangelmommy3775
I am not very good at keeping a minimalist house although I have been getting a little better. I would look at how often do you actually have company. That was the point you kept coming back to with the dishes and the extra bedroom. We dont have company over often and when we do they can sleep on the futon. There are 5 of us total and we have way too many dishes. The kids eat off of little plastic plates so they dont break the dishes so normally we only use 2 plates a night.
As of right now there is no extra bedroom. The 3rd bedroom is in the process of becoming the nursery. We don't have company often right now because we haven't made friends out here. Since we are military though, we do have family that comes out a couple times a year to see us and they almost always stay with us. We have a couch and a love seat but no futon. Is there a twin bed that converts to a full?

Last edited by Lanae; 09-05-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
aprilkek
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ikea has some twin beds with trundles. That is one option that we were talking about so that we could have a small bedroom for one of the kids that could also function as a guest room. We have a double bed being stored right now, but it looks like we probably won't use it because of how much space it will take up.

I have to say that I probably fall or fell into your mentality a lot over the last few years. I kept a lot just in case. I have been purging a lot this year and I don't think there is a single item that I wish I hadn't given away yet. I figure if there is after a while I can go buy that one item.

ZULILY! Join Swagbucks and Earn Free Money! Plum District The Mini Social Gilt Group One Kings Lane
aprilkek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Lanae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprilkek
Ikea has some twin beds with trundles. That is one option that we were talking about so that we could have a small bedroom for one of the kids that could also function as a guest room. We have a double bed being stored right now, but it looks like we probably won't use it because of how much space it will take up.

I have to say that I probably fall or fell into your mentality a lot over the last few years. I kept a lot just in case. I have been purging a lot this year and I don't think there is a single item that I wish I hadn't given away yet. I figure if there is after a while I can go buy that one item.
I think I'm just stuck on where to start cause I don't know how much to keep and I have 0$ to spend on organizing solutions. I need to use what I have.

Last edited by Lanae; 09-05-2012 at 12:12 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
solarbabies
Registered Users
Formerly: ja***nes
seller

My Mood:

you sound overwhelmed to me. If you want a smaller bed for ds can you watch craigslist for a twin? I see them for less than $50 all the time! Can you sell his bed? Would you if you could find a buyer?

Dishes...how often do you wash? Like I use a dishwasher and hate to run if it is not full so we keep enough to fill it and that's it.

If guest come and need to eat with you, get paper plates if needed.

Work on one room at a time...one corner at a time if needed. Don't look at it as a whole, look at it in parts (only big enough you can handle without going crazy). The rule I want to follow (not there yet) is everything has a place! If something sits around and doesn't have a home or doesn't get love/use get rid of it! If you are truly afraid you will need it put it in a box in the closet with a date on it...say 6 mths in the future. If in 6 mths you pull the box down and you haven't used it yet, get rid of it!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Lanae
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbabies
you sound overwhelmed to me. If you want a smaller bed for ds can you watch craigslist for a twin? I see them for less than $50 all the time! Can you sell his bed? Would you if you could find a buyer?

Dishes...how often do you wash? Like I use a dishwasher and hate to run if it is not full so we keep enough to fill it and that's it.

If guest come and need to eat with you, get paper plates if needed.

Work on one room at a time...one corner at a time if needed. Don't look at it as a whole, look at it in parts (only big enough you can handle without going crazy). The rule I want to follow (not there yet) is everything has a place! If something sits around and doesn't have a home or doesn't get love/use get rid of it! If you are truly afraid you will need it put it in a box in the closet with a date on it...say 6 mths in the future. If in 6 mths you pull the box down and you haven't used it yet, get rid of it!
Dishes... 1x-2x a day. We don't have a washer and can't leave the sink completely full. We actually haven't even used but 1 paper bowl/plate this entire year. I'm not sure I have the self control to have them around... Perhaps I'll put them in a difficult place to reach

I'm not sure if I could let the bed go if I'm being completely honest with myself. It's quality that isn't made anymore. One day it really would last one of our kids into adulthood.

We could put the full size into the garage I guess. We might be able to swing buying the bed frame by selling other stuff but mattresses are one thing we do buy new due to bed bugs and bacteria.

I LOVE the box idea! I will be Doing that!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #8
jesajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

I totally feel ya! We are a family of 6 living in a 2 bedroom house. We are also on a super tight budget. I usually just work with what i have, in terms of storage. It's a constant re-purposing of boxes and bins. Right now, I'm trying to figure out where to hang my clothes so i can use my dresser for storage (books and stuff - we need a bookshelf but no $ right now).

As far as dishes go, I only kept out a set of four (we were a family of four when we moved in here) and a few extra cups. I did store my Christmas dishes at my mom's house. I guess you can't do that.

For your son's room, can you store things under the bed until you can get a smaller bed? We were given 2 under the bed storage containers, but I've even used garbage bags. Not ideal but it works. And don't be afraid to ask around for a twin bed. I was looking for a used portable dishwasher and posted on a facebook garage sale page. I was really hoping for a great price. Turns out, a friend of mine, who saw the post, gave me her old one for free! It worked and was just cluttering up her parent's garage. We are borrowing bunk beds for my two big kids. I don't think the mom is going to want them back, but of course, we will let her know when we are done with them.

I know you just moved and don't know people, but it never hurts to ask wherever you can.
jesajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:

Stupid internet! Lost connection when I tried to submit my response.

Abbreviated version...I'd box up what you don't need in the next week, get at least 1 room in a tolerable state. Next week, relook through boxes to see what can be removed from your house and what can be stored further out of sight. Figure out if livingroom might have more space for your son's toys or like a previous poster said, use under the bed. If it's smallish toys, you could take a horizontal cardboard box and cut the top off, then put toys in/on it and slide it under the bed when not in use. Not a permanent solution, but a good enough one for now.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote