Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #11
etmoto
Registered Users
seller

Re: YOUR closet - how many clothes??

I am in no way a minimalist, but aspire to be.....just wanted to chime in that I've found some great high quality items at consignment stores. I got a pants suit for $24 and wore it yesterday and have never gotten so many compliments. At a different consignment store, I've scored some great casual wear as well. I am striving for quality over quantity (but still have plenty of cheap t-shirts from ON and Kohls. They are my weekend wardrobe.)

I am taking next week off from work and aim to clear out more of my wardrobe. I want just a few of each item (skirts, dresses, pants, jeans), but probably more tops & sweaters to mix & match. I do have quite a few pairs of shoes though (but I got most of my recent ones at consignment stores).

Thanks for posting the questions....it's got me thinking about de-cluttering!

Advertisement

etmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
alyssa&rylan's-mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I actually have a ridiculous amount of clothing, although I've gotten rid of boxes and boxes in the last couple of years. Right now I only have 4 pairs of pants, about 6 shirts, a skirt, and two dresses. But that's my maternity wardrobe. My regular wardrobe is ridiculous. I'm planning to tackle it soon though!
alyssa&rylan's-mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
blossomgoat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm currently dropping back through the sizes of clothing I went through when Mirena caused me to grow an extra 24lbs in 2 years. So, not counting the "almost my size" shorts and pants that ought to fit me again next month.... I have:

Tshirts: 8ish
workout shirts 5ish
long-sleeve Ts: 8-10
sweaters: 5-6
sweatshirts: 4
Jeans: none right now
capris: 4
shorts: 2
skirts: 4
sweatpants: 4
workout bottoms: 2
casual pants: 2
dark funeral dress: 1 (yeah, I know, depressing, but we had 5 funerals in about 9 months not too long ago, so I'm hanging onto it.)

Wow. that seems like a lot more than I thought I had. LOL. But I live a 4-season area, so I need both summer and winter clothes, plus things to layer for fall and spring.

Last edited by blossomgoat; 08-02-2012 at 10:58 AM.
blossomgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ooh! This will be fun. I recently purged a bunch of stuff, and I am doing my laundry now. So I will take inventory after it's all hung up.

The problem I have is I have three active young kids, so my stuff gets dirty and often "ruined" with stains that will never come out. So while I may have a lot of tees, for example, half of them are "ruined" for art projects and whatever and half are for suitable for the public. So it appears I have a lot of stuff, and a lot of duplicates but to me not so much.

I'm really tall and hard to fit, so when I finally find something that fits, I usually buy multiples of it. I shop mostly at NY&Co, Marshalls, Target, Old Navy, and Kohls, sometimes Dress Barn and Lands End. It is nearly impossible for me to buy anything secondhand because of my height. As much as I'd like to spend more on higher quality items, I'm not in a stage of my life where that makes sense. Maybe when the kiddos are a bit older.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:25 AM   #15
clothlover8
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have 4 l/s tops, 1 cardi, 6 tees, 1 pr leggings, 1 pair trackpants, 2 other pants, 3 dresses, 2 skirts, 1 pr shorts, 1 jumper, 2 nightgowns, 2 bras, 12 underwear, 5 prs of shoes.
clothlover8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #16
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothlover8 View Post
I have 4 l/s tops, 1 cardi, 6 tees, 1 pr leggings, 1 pair trackpants, 2 other pants, 3 dresses, 2 skirts, 1 pr shorts, 1 jumper, 2 nightgowns, 2 bras, 12 underwear, 5 prs of shoes.
:handclap: Holy cow, that is amazing. Between this and the 333 thread, I am going to be embarrassed to post what I have. Which is more than I thought I did.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
cherylchoo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ok, I took full inventory since everything is clean. I still need to purge quite a bit, more than I thought. What I do have does fit neatly in my five foot wide reach-in closet with two poles with room to spare. However, I am in a bit of transition at the moment (first gained and now losing weight, moved to a new house near a lake my kids live in where every family has a large dog, looking to go back to work within the year) so I am holding on to some things that I don't wear much now but will in the future. My kids get filthy going in the lake and doing art projects, and get me filthy, so it is not usual for me to have to change clothes at least once a day. I do have to go to dress-up events 5-6 times a year. I'm also in a climate where the temps range from below zero to over 100 within the year.

5 "fancy" maxi dresses (These were a recent purchase. I needed something synthetic I could wear down to the lake, and now they are a staple of my summer wardrobe.)
2 casual cotton/rayon maxi dresses
3 undershirts (for layering in winter)
2 "work in the yard or on the house" tees
20 short sleeve tees. I recently bought some to replace the stained ones, and I haven't purged those yet. Need to get on that. I liked having 10 before I bought the dresses, I may go lower this time.
10 long sleeve tees. Should purge to 5.
One large white button-up shirt (think of a man's dress shirt) to wear over things
13 light sweaters. Yeah, too many, time to purge down to 5.
5 flowy cardigans that all coordinate with the blouses and dresses and tees
3 pairs of "fancy" skinny jeans for going out. I'm not sure how I wound up with three of these, LOL.
4 pairs of bootcut jeans
1 pair of brown western jeans
2 "work in the yard or on the house" jeans
5 pairs of yoga pants (I try to work out 3 times a week)
3 capris (I don't wear shorts)
3 heavy wool sweaters
4 light wool sweaters
6 cotton plain sweaters (that should all be purged probably)
3 cotton fancier sweaters
3 sweater dresses
1 long sleeve dress
1 short sleeve dress
2 skirt/blouse sets that are interchangeable
3 neutral long skirts
5 sleeveless blouses
4 short sleeve blouses
1 long sleeve silk blouse
1 pair of khakis
5 pairs of dress pants (for when I go back to work)
1 pair of wool pants
1 dressy sweater
1 casual suit jacket
1 dressy suit jacket

So there you have it. Minimal? Not really. But it's getting there. I think after I have lived here in the new place longer, and have gone back to work, I could easily cut it in half. But I need to know what I need here and at the new job first.
Old 08-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
hibiscus869
Registered Users

I don't feel like I have a lot of clothes but I was counting and I'm shocked! I will say that we have 4 distinct seasons here so I think that always means you need more clothes- we can't wear shorts and t-shirts year-round here, we always need multiple coats, jackets, clothes depending on the season. I'm actually going to get rid of a bunch of sad, tired summer clothes at the end of this season though and not replace them.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #19
hibiscus869
Registered Users

Ok so I was surprised at the number of clothes I had so I'm doing a big clean out of everything that is too baggy and doesn't fit. I tend to like to wear that stuff because it's comfortable, but honestly I look like a ragamuffin. Time to say goodbye to that stuff.
hibiscus869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #20
myk
Registered Users

My Mood:

shirts: around 10, including long and short sleeves
pants: 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of black pants, 1 pair of capris, 1 pair of short
dresses/skirts: 0 right now but i'd like to have 1 dress
shoes: 2 pairs of athletic shoes, one pair of crocs for yardwork, 1 pair rubber boots, 1 pair of winter boots, 1 pair basic dress shoes, and i'd like a pair of sandals but i don't right now.
3 bras.
2 workout outfits.
quite a bit of panties and socks, cause i hate running out when, for example, i'm doing coloured laundry and didn't have time for the whites.
myk is offline   Reply With Quote