Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:54 AM   #1
Xanders
Registered Users
seller

Purex Free & Clear???

A friend is using this & having first pee leaks. Now I know no other details as of yet, but while I'm waiting, has anyone had build-up issues from this detergent? Her water is hard.

Advertisement

Xanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Purex Free & Clear???

I'd be careful especially with hard water (depends on how hard). Anything "Free & clear" is marketing gimmick with optical brighteners and other agents still in the bottle.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki
I'd be careful especially with hard water (depends on how hard). Anything "Free & clear" is marketing gimmick with optical brighteners and other agents still in the bottle.
It means free & clear of dyes and fragrances. Hardly a marketing gimmick... some of us are sensitive to fragrance. It is true that many of them still have optical brighteners. Many of them also have enzymes which I actually like for getting stuff clean in hard water. I have never had issues with buildup from optical brighteners in hard water. I used Tide F&G for several months.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #4
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

DP
Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Optical brighteners are dyes.

Build up will be worse with harder water. If you have VERY hard water you'll likely find yourself stripping often if not do so to prevent serious build up.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
AZmommy
Registered Users
seller

how old is her child might she jsut need more assorbancy? Honestly Id delt with varies degrees of build up for many many years in very hard water from both full of dyes and brightners etc detergents to free of anythign (including ability to clean) CD detergents.. They cause issues from diapers not getting cleaning staying stained and baby breaking out.
It has never ever ever caused leaks or repelling. never. Less assorbent more prone to leaks at times but the excess detergent was really obvious even then.

Deanna mom to Cecilia 10-26-02 and Margaret 3-8-10
AZmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
PBAki
Registered Users

My Mood:

Yep some CD detergents don't work well either. Just too many variables to consider and may or may not work. Hard water generally is an automatic red flag so just make sure you're getting the fabric cleaned and rinsed out completely.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Xanders
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZmommy
how old is her child might she jsut need more assorbancy? Honestly Id delt with varies degrees of build up for many many years in very hard water from both full of dyes and brightners etc detergents to free of anythign (including ability to clean) CD detergents.. They cause issues from diapers not getting cleaning staying stained and baby breaking out.
It has never ever ever caused leaks or repelling. never. Less assorbent more prone to leaks at times but the excess detergent was really obvious even then.
Ok. See I wasn't sure about this detergent & am still waiting on an answer back from her! I am 90% sure it will be a fit issue! I just want to make sure because I would absolutely hate to say switch to Tide when her diapers are getting clean with Purex!!!!!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #9
Xanders
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBAki
Yep some CD detergents don't work well either. Just too many variables to consider and may or may not work. Hard water generally is an automatic red flag so just make sure you're getting the fabric cleaned and rinsed out completely.
Yep! We'll see what she tells me! Just wanted to double check about this detergent while I'm waiting!!! Thanks!
Old 10-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
missdawn25
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have used Pyrex with no leaking or stink issues for over a year. I have sensitivity issues too.