Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #1
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Chicken Pox Vaccine Questions

Please do NOT turn this into a vax/don't vax debate. I just have a question.

I never wanted my kids to get the Chicken Pox Vaccine. Neither did DH. Today I was kind of cornered into doing it. I needed to get their hemoglobin numbers for WIC and my only option was the free mobile vax unit. We are in temporary limbo because our Medi-Cal is in a different county, 2 hours away, and we wouldn't qualify if we went and tried to get it here. So I can't take them to a regular Ped without driving 2 hours (the kids have had all their well child visits on time, this issue is only as of June, and will be remedied by Sept 1...they are covered if there's an emergency, but I can't use it in a different county for a regular office visit). Anyway, they REQUIRE all vaccines be current, which isn't a big deal for me because we do vax, but they include Varicella in the requirement. So I begrudgingly allowed it.

So my questions...

-DH said that some kids can actually get the pox from the vaccine. Is this at all true?? I do childcare for a 6mo and an 8mo, so if there's a chance my kids are going to have an outbreak, I need to know!!

-Is there any harm (physical, long term, when they get it for real, whatever) in not getting the 2nd dose??? DH's work health insurance kicks in Sept 1, so we can go back to seeing a regular pediatrician for all situations like this.

I appreciate any insight on this issue

Advertisement

Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!

Last edited by Fishie Kisses; 08-01-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #2
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Re: Chicken Pox Vaccine Questions

Yes, is possible, although it is uncommon for a child to contract a full blown case of chicken pox from the vaccine. It is even more rare for it to be transmitted to another person.

The only longterm harm might be a partial immunity that does not last long or protect them from chicken pox in the future.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Yes, is possible, although it is uncommon for a child to contract a full blown case of chicken pox from the vaccine. It is even more rare for it to be transmitted to another person.

The only longterm harm might be a partial immunity that does not last long or protect them from chicken pox in the future.
I also heard that the vaccine isn't really any different than getting the virus because they can still contract it and/or shingles in the future. True? I just want to make sure I cover all my bases before deciding not to complete the series.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Old 08-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

Neither the vaccine nor wild chicken pox is a guarantee that you will never get chicken pox again. Both those who have the wild disease and who have the full vaccine series are very likely (somewhere over 85% chance) to never get it again, but it isn't certain. Wild chicken pox is generally considered to be proof of immunity, but what is interesting is that in my nursing education, when I started I simply had to provide a doctor's statement that I had had chicken pox (or 2 vaccines). However, about 1/2 way through my program several hospitals changed their requirements and you either had to have evidence of immunity (from a titer) or the full 2 vaccine series to be considered immune. Now, that was for nursing school and they tend to be a bit more cautious than anyone else really needs to be with immunity due to our patients.

You can only contract shingles if you have had either the disease or the vaccine. There is some evidence that those who had the vaccine may be less likely to contract shingles later in life. However, a lot more time and research needs to be done to know for sure. There is also some evidence that more elderly (and even middle aged folks) are getting shingles now possibly because their immune system doesn't get as frequent exposure to wild chicken pox to help keep shingles away. Only time will tell how this shakes out. It is also possible to contract chicken pox (if you aren't immune) from someone who has shingles. Again, it is not common, but it is possible.

Last edited by z2akids; 08-01-2012 at 10:33 PM.
z2akids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #5
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

thank you for your help!
Old 08-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
z2akids
Registered Users
seller

No trouble. It can be a difficult decision to make either way.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

I was just reading about the vax. I think the odds of getting Cp from someone who just got. Vaxed is 1 in 10 million or something close to it. Very rare.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Peanut* View Post
I was just reading about the vax. I think the odds of getting Cp from someone who just got. Vaxed is 1 in 10 million or something close to it. Very rare.
thank you...I wouldn't worry as much if they were older, but being so little I got seriously freaked out!
Old 08-02-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Unfortunately, we dropped WIC when they started pushing vaccines. It's silly that they do that:/
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I have known MANY kids who have gotten chicken pox even after they were vaxed for it. A friend's entire family got it from my kids even though they had been vaxed and they had it worse than my kids did who weren't vaxed. So it's possible. Not trying to scare you, though!

As far as WIC, was the hemo like to test their iron? I just refused that and they don't say anything. Also, they don't require vaxes at mine or try to talk me into them. (I know you vax, so that's not an issue for you anyway )