Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Chicken Pox Vaccine Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Neither the vaccine nor wild chicken pox is a guarantee that you will never get chicken pox again. Both those who have the wild disease and who have the full vaccine series are very likely (somewhere over 85% chance) to never get it again, but it isn't certain. Wild chicken pox is generally considered to be proof of immunity, but what is interesting is that in my nursing education, when I started I simply had to provide a doctor's statement that I had had chicken pox (or 2 vaccines). However, about 1/2 way through my program several hospitals changed their requirements and you either had to have evidence of immunity (from a titer) or the full 2 vaccine series to be considered immune. Now, that was for nursing school and they tend to be a bit more cautious than anyone else really needs to be with immunity due to our patients.

You can only contract shingles if you have had either the disease or the vaccine. There is some evidence that those who had the vaccine may be less likely to contract shingles later in life. However, a lot more time and research needs to be done to know for sure. There is also some evidence that more elderly (and even middle aged folks) are getting shingles now possibly because their immune system doesn't get as frequent exposure to wild chicken pox to help keep shingles away. Only time will tell how this shakes out. It is also possible to contract chicken pox (if you aren't immune) from someone who has shingles. Again, it is not common, but it is possible.
Yes to all of this. My brother had chicken pox at age 8, but caught another case of it at 16. Fortunately with no serious side effects.

The reason the vaccine is promoted so strongly, according to several doctors I've asked about it, is that it usually prevents contracting the disease. But if it doesn't, the case is milder. So the severe side effects are much less likely to occur than with someone who has not had the vaccine.

Advertisement

Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Both my girls got pox FROM the vaccine, as in they got the vaccine, then broke out in pox. It was mild and more of a "what the heck is this" thing, but I was surprised that it happened with both of them. I told the Dr and he said, "Yep, that happens sometimes," and made a note of it in their chart. Would be curious if having the vaccine AND the illness makes one more immune? Probably not.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:36 AM   #13
badmisterkitty
Registered Users
seller
seller

Both my girls got pox FROM the vaccine, as in they got the vaccine, then broke out in pox. It was mild and more of a "what the heck is this" thing, but I was surprised that it happened with both of them. I told the Dr and he said, "Yep, that happens sometimes," and made a note of it in their chart. Would be curious if having the vaccine AND the illness makes one more immune? Probably not.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I am curious, those of you that know people that got the CP from the vaccine, was this their first dose of the vaccine, or was it the second dose?

My son got the CP vaccine at 15 months I think and now at 4 he needs it again. I can't get the vaccine as I have a history of lymphoma and they are currently studying why it seems to kill people like me. I had CP as a child but I am not immune anymore according to the tider. I am also pregnant and they don't give the vaccine to pregnant women. So I am just trying to weigh my odds on this. The CDC is of no help when I called them. I need to still call my local health department, and talk to my oncologist about this.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

double post

Last edited by 3 ladybugs; 08-02-2012 at 09:50 AM.
3 ladybugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #16
*Peanut*
Registered Users
seller
seller

From dr. Sears, who many on this board look to for advice:

http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/chi...en-pox-vaccine

Only 3 reported incidents (out of 14 million doses) in which someone who was vaxed gave someone else CP. There may be more unreported cases, but anything that a doctor or school knows of HAS to be reported to the health dept. either way, the number is pretty small. And all cases were when vaxed children had rashes.

On a side note, about 10% of people who have had CP lose their immunity. So even getting CP doesn't fully protect you.

Last edited by *Peanut*; 08-02-2012 at 10:10 AM.
*Peanut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #17
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by z2akids View Post
Neither the vaccine nor wild chicken pox is a guarantee that you will never get chicken pox again. Both those who have the wild disease and who have the full vaccine series are very likely (somewhere over 85% chance) to never get it again, but it isn't certain. Wild chicken pox is generally considered to be proof of immunity, but what is interesting is that in my nursing education, when I started I simply had to provide a doctor's statement that I had had chicken pox (or 2 vaccines). However, about 1/2 way through my program several hospitals changed their requirements and you either had to have evidence of immunity (from a titer) or the full 2 vaccine series to be considered immune. Now, that was for nursing school and they tend to be a bit more cautious than anyone else really needs to be with immunity due to our patients.

You can only contract shingles if you have had either the disease or the vaccine. There is some evidence that those who had the vaccine may be less likely to contract shingles later in life. However, a lot more time and research needs to be done to know for sure. There is also some evidence that more elderly (and even middle aged folks) are getting shingles now possibly because their immune system doesn't get as frequent exposure to wild chicken pox to help keep shingles away. Only time will tell how this shakes out. It is also possible to contract chicken pox (if you aren't immune) from someone who has shingles. Again, it is not common, but it is possible.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #18
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I just have to say, THAT'S CRAZY that they forced you to take a vaccine you didn't want. We DO vax here (except for delayed MMR due to family immune issues), but I totally support the right to choose that for my family, just as I support the right for you to not vax if you choose. Sooo... I know you didn't want this to go into a vax debate, so I'm not, I just had to say that food and vaccines are pretty independent of each other, and I just don't get it.
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #19
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisyma View Post
I have known MANY kids who have gotten chicken pox even after they were vaxed for it. A friend's entire family got it from my kids even though they had been vaxed and they had it worse than my kids did who weren't vaxed. So it's possible. Not trying to scare you, though!

As far as WIC, was the hemo like to test their iron? I just refused that and they don't say anything. Also, they don't require vaxes at mine or try to talk me into them. (I know you vax, so that's not an issue for you anyway )
the hemoglobin test didn't bother me...my younger 2 were anemic at their last checks, so I actually wanted to know. And my WIC office doesn't care about the vaccines, it was the mobile vax unit put on by First 5 in CA.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #20
Fishie Kisses
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4More View Post
I just have to say, THAT'S CRAZY that they forced you to take a vaccine you didn't want. We DO vax here (except for delayed MMR due to family immune issues), but I totally support the right to choose that for my family, just as I support the right for you to not vax if you choose. Sooo... I know you didn't want this to go into a vax debate, so I'm not, I just had to say that food and vaccines are pretty independent of each other, and I just don't get it.
I agree. I don't understand why they couldn't prick his finger to get one little drop and be done with it.
Tashauna~~proud wife to my trained boo-boo fixer and mama to 4 boys on earth (Jordan-01/15/08, Logan-12/16/09, Connor-05/17/11)...and finally our rainbow Jackson (11/24/13)! and two in heaven ^i^ (10wks-11/12 and 4 weeks 2/13)
Try SWAGBUCKS and get paid!! I've earned over $1000 just since Jan 1, 2013!!!
Fishie Kisses is offline   Reply With Quote