Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #1
Liaklong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Help! Travel CD routine?

Hello all (: I have just started CD (2wks in) w/my 2nd & feel comfortable w/my routine at home, but have been sticking to disposables while out & about. I'm not sure how to set up a CD diaper bag as I have been so used to my wipes & disposables. I want to rid myself of both however & go exclusively CD. Suggestions on essentials for a CD diaper bag set up? Wet bag? Diaper spray? How do you handle big messy poos while out? Any/all advice welcome & greatly appreciated! I've had a lot of resistance from my family (both my mom & DH's) about CDing & want to show them how easy it is next time I visit (:

Thanks!!

Advertisement

Liaklong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Help! Travel CD routine?

I find it no different than using sposies while out. I usually bring 3-4 diaper, a stack of wipes and travel spray and a wetbag. For poops , if I'm near a toilet I dump and if not I just roll it all up and stuff it in the wetbag to deal with when I get home.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Liaklong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonipie
I find it no different than using sposies while out. I usually bring 3-4 diaper, a stack of wipes and travel spray and a wetbag. For poops , if I'm near a toilet I dump and if not I just roll it all up and stuff it in the wetbag to deal with when I get home.
I haven't purchased any wet bags yet, I just have the large PUL can liners. Do you suggest a brand &/or size that works well for your diaper bag? I just use water in a peribottle @ home w/dry cloth wipes. Did you purchase a travel spray or did you just buy a small squirt bottle for water on the go. Do you ever have problems with leaking?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Xanders
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaklong

I haven't purchased any wet bags yet, I just have the large PUL can liners. Do you suggest a brand &/or size that works well for your diaper bag? I just use water in a peribottle @ home w/dry cloth wipes. Did you purchase a travel spray or did you just buy a small squirt bottle for water on the go. Do you ever have problems with leaking?
You could just take a gallon plastic storage bag until you get a wetbag.

I do the following, but add more diapers for younger babies:

-2 diapers in purse (extra in car)

-rolled-up Fuzzi Bunz changing pad

-quilter's Nappies travel wipes (some velour & some Sherpa)- dry

-California Baby Bottom spray (at Target)

-wet bag

When we had messier diapers, I'd put wet cloth wipes in a monkey foot designs wet bag.

I was afraid at first, too, but it's easier!
Xanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

For us,I pack 4 diapers and some wipes, (I have never needed 4, but to be safe!) and I bought a little mini squirt bottle from walmarts travel section to keep water in. I found that if I pre wet the wipes, I would forget about them when not used and they would end up smelling by the time I went to use them again, I have 6 wet bags, but I honestly forget to pack them most of the time and just end up rolling up the diaper and sticking it back into the bag. (ds rarely poops when out) I have several alva wet bags that work just fine, but the zipper quality is a little flimsy. I also have 2 wetbags from the baby section in target that work just fine. Just be sure not to dry the target ones! I melted the liner of one of mine when it snuck into the dryer. I have seen the monkey foot designs wetbags at a local cd shop and the quality is definitely great, but I just couldn't justify that much $ on a wet bag. I definitely don't consider it a necessity if your little one isn't in daycare. you can always use the "wet bag" that probably came with your diaper bag, or a simple Walmart bag, just be sure not to mix it up with the trash!

......you should see what my posts look like BEFORE auto correct.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 AM   #6
artichoke71
Registered Users
seller

I purchased a bunch of inexpensive washcloths on amazon to use as wipes - they do a great job and you'll be surprised at how much more one will clean compared to a disposable wipe. They have stayed soft too - I didn't see a need to buy any made of fleece or any other such soft material.

I too would wet them on-the-go. The peri bottle is a great idea, as I have found a squirt bottle to be too "misty". (not enough wetness all at once unless you spray and spray). Though my daughter liked getting "misted" down there.

W/r/t a wet bag - I purchased a cute Monkey Foot Designs one too. I love the design, however I realize after that I should have bought a bigger one. It is hard to keep stuffing diapers into a too-compact albeit cute wetbag.

One more thing: not sure what type of cloth diapers you use but I at home I mostly used Thirsties Duo wraps plus prefolds, etc. I found that having some all-in-ones/twos (like Bum Genious 4.0) were so much easier to use on-the-go though. Just take 'em off and stuff 'em in the bag for later. It takes some of the pressure off of the experience ... especially if you're being scrutinized about the difficulty of cloth diapering by on-looking fam members.

Good luck!

Last edited by artichoke71; 08-02-2012 at 09:06 AM.
artichoke71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liaklong View Post
You can just use some grocery bags or ziplock as PP mentioned until you get one. You don't NEED a wetbag but I just find a wetbag to be easier and it keeps in smells better. I like Planetwise and Monkey Foot Designs. The medium size is small enough to fold in a bag but also holds 4-5 diapers for me. I just got a travel spray bottle from the travel section at Target. I carry my wipes dry in a ziplock with the spray in there and have never had leaking problems.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #8
Mack
Registered Users
seller

Someone on another board mentioned a walmart zippered vinyl pillow case for a wet bag.... i thought that was a great ( cheap) idea!
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
Liaklong
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Awesome! Thanks for all of the feedback!!! I'll prob try a couple different things (: It's great to know I can find what I need close too, instead of having to order everything online. Great suggestions (:
Old 08-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

I use old shirts for wipes & use zipoloc with twist lid. Few dipes. I just use water on my wipes. I would get rid of poo if I can but just take home too if in town. Out like visiting I bring pail & put in there when I getto car.
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote