Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
Kinrice01
Registered Users
seller

Teaching Spelling ?

Spelling Words: Is there a certain way you should "teach" spelling once a child can read? For example, I know there are lots of spelling curriculums out there to choose from, but is there a method to teaching how to become a good speller or is just memorizing spelling word lists of random words a good approach?
For example, I find lots of word lists online my kids can memorize, and I know that is how they did it at their old Christian school, but is that the best way?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Kindra: wife to Chris since 6/01 , Stay at Home, AP, homeschooling Mama to: Seth 11/01, Elissa 10/03 , Noah 9/05 , Emma 5/09 , Luke 4/13 ,stepmom to a U.S.Marine Stephen 10/92 , foster mama to siblings I 12/08, J 12/09, and J 4/14
Kinrice01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Teaching Spelling ?

There are methods other than memorization though that does seem to be one of the more common methods. This year I tried out Spell By Color which teaches spelling rules just like teaching phonetics. There are no spelling lists, just week by week spelling rules. I wanted to try it out because my oldest cannot memorize things out of context. It is working better for him so that is something. The other nice thing about it is that it is free, I believe year two costs $8 if you progress with it. Ultimately some words you do have to just memorize unfortunately.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

If you do a search for Charlotte Mason dictation, you can read about the how's and why's of incorporating this method.
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #4
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

Still another method would be the Spalding method. Writing Road to Reading, Phonics Road, Wise Guide to Spelling, RIGGS, Yes Phonics, All About Spelling and others are inspired by Spalding. She believes in breaking words into syllables, sounding out the phonograms, learning the rules where they apply...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS.../chrisficti-20
is her updated, original book

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

Charlotte Mason used copywork and dictation to teach spelling. Copywork is where you copy passages from poetry or famous authors. The child learns the correct way to write from this, and also gets practice with handwriting. Dictation would have you assign a passage to the child to study. Once the child feels he/she knows it, you give the child some paper. You then dictate the passage to the child, who tries to write it with all correct spelling and punctuation. Anything missed is reviewed again.
Queen's Language Lessons has a copywork series
Simply Charlotte Mason has Spelling Wisdom, a dictation series
and there's also Emma Serle's Language Lessons.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #6
*KaiMom*
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Getting the dolche sight words list and creating games with them is also a great way to get them spelling. There are tons and tons of ideas on Pinterest. We take a couple of words a week and do all sorts of writing, flash cards, bingo, memory etc. with them.

Also, learning the blends and rules will help like ing, ck, ee.