Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Waldorf?

So I did some reading, I think we are "waldorf" type people. I think that may be the closest fit. Im going to start working on my homeschooling education plan to present to the school soon. Where do I start learning more about this style? Any other parents out there using it and want to contribute here? We aren't starting till next year so I have time. Im SO EXCITED!

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Waldorf?

we are a waldorf family, though we're currently using enki (which is heavily influenced by Waldorf philosophies/methodologies but isn't strict Waldorf). some good places for insight/resources? christopherus --some of donna's audio tracks on the basics of Waldorf were helpful for me, live ed, parenting passageway, Melissa nielsens a little garden flower store/podcast. rahima baldwins "you are your child's first teacher" may be a useful resource.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do you buy the packages for your child's grade? Or do you try to find them used?
Old 09-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
momof2littles
Registered Users
seller

I think oak meadow is waldorf. And weefolkart.com has a free pre-k or kinder curriculum.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM   #5
keysersoze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdiapercrunchy View Post
Do you buy the packages for your child's grade? Or do you try to find them used?
we did for k and gr. 1, and will probably for gr. 2. after that enki is a bit more diy, so we'll see how its all working for the kids. by the time ds1 is in 3rd, dd will be in k or 1st. buying enki used is considered a no-no, though some folks do. enki is pretty pricey, and I had a ahrd time spending so much money on a curriculum with a limited return policy and a no resale policy. but, its a great fit for our family at this time and I love the global emphasis.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
AVeryHappyMama
Registered Users

We aren't Waldorf homeschoolers but I have investigated the educational philosophy and continue to do so.

You may enjoy Seasons of Joy (starts younger than WeeFolkArt.com which i wouldnt start until 4; covering babies through kindergarten). It gives stories to tell/act out with your children, poems and finger plays to weave throughout each block of instruction and use to inspire/encourage creativity. I own the fall PDF of Seasons of Joy and it is delightful, absolutely delightful! There is also Little Acorn Learning. Seasons of Joy is cheaper and people says has more material too. It is set up so it tells you what to do with babies, toddlers, preschoolers through kindergarteners. Little Acorn like WeeFolkArt seems to start at prek or age 4. It's not at all academic, embracing the stories/poems/arts/imaginative play as THE means of educating young children. Little Acorn plans out the weeks. Seasons of Joy plans out block sections of subjects, gives you 10 activities for 10 weeks each season for each subject, and a blank template to organize which you want to do each day.

Oak Meadow (compromises to be more normal in some ways), Live Education (looks super waldorf-y compared to the others), Enki, and Christophorus are the big 4 I think of in Waldorf.

You should read Steiner's works so you understand the man behind the movement, particularly in regards to anthropomorsophy.
Understanding Waldorf Education from the Inside Out by Jack Petrash would be an excellent place to start.

http://www.waldorfinthehome.org/2008...ing_and_s.html

http://www.beaconmama.com/WaldorfTable.pdf

http://waldorfjourney.typepad.com/a_...s-grade-7.html

http://www.waldorfjourney.typepad.com/

http://www.waldorfwithoutwalls.com/

Hope this helps.

Teneo: Our Daily Homeschool Journey

Last edited by AVeryHappyMama; 09-25-2012 at 06:17 AM.
AVeryHappyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:17 AM   #7
daenikoffre
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We are Waldorf un/schoolers. ["Preschool".]

I don't buy packages, though, as I've written nature/earth-based early-childhood curriculum for the last 6 years. It's working out well for us, though I think in a few years when he is 5 or 6 we will enroll him in a two-day per week Waldorf program to act as our main peer-socialization, and so I can have a little more time to focus on our homestead.

Currently we have a weekly rhythm which follows and celebrates the seasons, and is child-lead, and we have a weekly outing and monthly out of town day-trip. This month we picked apples at an organic small family farm and made cider and applesauce there.
daenikoffre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
agardenfull
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

{Just my }
I just cringe when I hear of folks spending money on Waldorf Curriculum (UNLESS of course you are doing regular course work ~ 4= grade level), there is SO much out there for free! A good reference book such as You Are Your Child's First Teacher, is great and blogs and websites are very useful for ideas and curriculum. Search your local thrift stores for Waldorf inspired books. I have found people buy new and read and lose interest of go to another curriculum style ~ so these are readily avail at thrift and second hand stores. Get outside and invest your heard earned money in quality long lasting play items ~
agardenfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #9
court3189
Registered Users
seller

Too funny-I just posted this question! I'll have to delete it...

Mom to Mason (3/2003) and Maddie (11/2007) and Morgan (3/2011)
court3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #10
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Has anyone used a Waldorf style curriculum past K/1st grade? I wanted to do Waldorf or at least Oak Meadow with my oldest but it really was not the ideal educational style for him so we have really stuck with more of a school at home style. Now I am at 2nd grade with my youngest and school at home isn't working. I see so many people talk about Waldorf but it seems like everyone loses interest or turns to unschooling or some other curriculum style before 2nd grade level. As much as I would like to be I am not comfortable with unschooling and probably never will be. I have considered buying Oak Meadow for my youngest and even thought about it for my oldest but I don't know if it would work for him and it seems like a hefty investment to use for just one child, especially when I have been homeschooling free or cheap for several years now.

I would love a gentle way to teach writing and spelling, especially if it were something Tharen would be more likely to accept. I am open to ideas for both of my boys as they are both SN and struggle. Right now we are having a hard time getting all of our subjects in each day.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote