Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #51
Registered Users
Re: Whatever happened to "Congratulations"?

Try not to let it get to you! You are blessed! If you need a bit of a laugh, here is a blog post on the topic from a friend with 10 kids -

ecotwinmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #52
Registered Users

When we announced #4, earlier this summer, my grandpa said he hoped it was a boy and that we would have 2-3 more boys so that we could field a basketball team. We already have 2 boys. My brother asked if we knew what a condom was, and I told him that we got married so that we wouldn't have to use them.
Spring Cleaning Stocking at My Granola WoolWorks!
amandabarugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #53
Registered Users

A friend of mine at work told me that she wanted to call me "Bunny" when I told her I was expecting #5. I told her please don't and I hoped she was just joking in the first place. I have heard a lot of congratulations intermixed with "how will you afford that" and "is this your last one." It's really none of their business and try not to let anyone's comments get to you. Every child is a blessing!
DH Wayne
DS Wyatt (8.5), DD Sabrina (6), DS Quinn (4), DS Brady (1.5), and another DS due Dec 2012!
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #54
Registered Users
My dh's uncle made a comment about our third to my dh about needing to teach him how to use a condom. I was (and still am) so hurt by that. His family always has something negative to say
Amanda ~ Wife to J '09 & semi-crunchy, , SAHM to M '06 , L '10 , E '12 & R '13
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #55
Registered Users
My Mood:

Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Congrats mama! I have 3 and when I say I want one more, people act like I'm nuts.

"You'll never be able to afford to take them to Disney now"
"How are you going to pay for 4 weddings?"
"How are you ever going to find time for them?"
"Guess you'll never have anything nice again"

People just don't think before they open their mouths.
These are reasonable questions... to ask YOURSELF and to discuss in private with your spouse not with strangers or even family for that matter. I guess people ASSume you havent thought about YOUR family ahead of time
Im THRILLED for you!!! Congrats momma!!
Motherhood is not a hobby, its a calling, you do not collect children because they are cuter than stamps, Its not something to do if you can squeeze the time in, its what god gave you time for. ~E. Anderson
TwinMommaplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #56
Registered Users

We also get all the rude comments. And we've tried to come up with somewhat witty replies, but really, how to you reply to rudeness?? Grrr. I was at a conference recently where Michelle Duggar was the featured speaker and when she was commenting on this very issue, pointed out that at some point people stopped the negative comments and started responding happily for them again. I think they said it was around #8?? They (Michelle and Jim Bob) commented that perhaps people finally realized that they weren't just having accident after accident (which, I hate the term "accident" in reference to children anyway, but you get the point). Gah! Well, we're expecting #8 now and I will say that I haven't heard any negative comments myself this time, but we also waited till almost 16 weeks to "spread the word" and we've only told people who we knew would be happy for us. We figure we'll let others "spread the word" to the rude, nay-saying types. So here's hoping that someday people can just be happy for people! I know personally that I will NEVER respond negatively to ANYONE's pregnancy announcement. not. ever.
JumperJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #57
Registered Users
My Mood:

I realize that this thread is a bit old, but it feels very relevant to me right now I am expecting number 5, and we are excited about it! We finally broke down and told everyone (who claimed to already know), and the reactions are interesting. My dad told me to get my tubes tied - hello, inappropriate?! What, he couldn't come up with a better response in the two months he supposedly knew? I still remember after #2, all our friends telling us that we had the "perfect" family, one boy and one girl. I remember thinking even then that was a ridiculous idea. Perfect for some, but not for us! So, congratulations to all you mamas of however many kids is perfect for your family!
Brook, wife to D, mama of S('05), I('06), E('08), E ('11), Adella & Bria (4/16/13)
bai18176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #58
Registered Users

My DH had a friend tell him to make sure and stay married to me because the child support would bankrupt him. Gee thanks.
Wife to DH 6 yr, Mom to Mono 6/07, Mi'ha 12/09, La & Ta 1/12.

CDing, noVaxing, tandom BFing & BWing, coSleeping, minimalist in training 2100/2012
ziursrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #59
Registered Users
My Mood:
It stinks our society doesn't have a positive attitude about the concept of "family." I get this kind of talk and I'm only pregnant with number 2!!!! Gah!! Sorry mamas

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
April-Wife to hopeless romantic nuclear submariner DH WOHM to my rambunctious snuggler DS (08/10) who was born SMILING. and DD (2/13) my hero
amb2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:22 PM   #60
Registered Users
My Mood:

We won't be hearing any of that from our family. I am sure we will get mean comments
Momma to six kids ages 10-1
mommie2avery is offline   Reply With Quote