Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #1
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sliding off issues. need help!

Does using a pacifier make your milk supply low? And would that be a gradual low?

problems we are having.
Breasts feel soft most of the time, bra size has gone from 36DD after pregnancy to 36B

Now since he has turned 3 months, he keeps sliding off the breast. i nearly have to force hios mouth to stay on my boob... If I am not continuously holding my breast UP, (which is small) he slides off. this is anytime during the feeding, even after let-down now. I thought he was doing it to start the let down.

what is going on? Do we need to cut out the pacifier for now? baby is content enough to take naps. eats every 3 hours, sometimes 2.5 hrs. reflux meds have helped the fussing. We use a NUK pacifier size 0-6m. I'm confused. I have him on a schedule. but not at all am I having him CIO or anything. I feed, he plays a bit, then change him & lay him down 1.5 hrs. later. he naps for just about 1.5 hrs and then is up again to eat. seems great! but the feedings are super short, like 2 minutes and then he gets more fussy as the night progresses.

Would this mean the pacifier use has gradually decreased my supply when it should be increasing? I need to know what to do. I can take it away, just want to know from mamas that have experience.

yhis is my 4th BF baby but 2 of them never took pacifiers

Advertisement

Last edited by vintagegyrl; 08-02-2012 at 05:26 PM.
vintagegyrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sliding off issues. need help!

no one???
Old 08-02-2012, 08:54 PM   #3
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Hey mamma, great job on 3 months so far! To answer your question about pacifiers, I would take that away for now. If you don't need it... Especially as you're establishing your milk supply, you want your baby to satisfy his sucking needs at the breast to stimulate milk production. It doesn't sound like it would be an issue to do so... So I would remove that for now. Also, do not worry about your breasts feeling soft. At three months your milk supply is much more regulated in response to your baby's demands and so your breasts are no longer engorged. The giant breast you have for weeks following birth are normal, but it is also normal for your breasts to "deflate" and it does not mean you aren't producing milk. It just means your body is adjusting.

Finally , for your baby "falling off", I would try breast compressions. In tune with your baby's sucking, squeeze your breast. This will help ensure milk keeps flowing and can provide that little "push" to encourage your lo to keep nursing. Also, if my lo is nursing for very short sessions and I think that baby needs more, it is often because baby is distracted. I may go lay down and nurse in a dark,uninteresting environment, or nurse in a carrier with something over the top to block out distractions. HTH
leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My LO is #4 and the only one to take a pacifier. He was starting to love his thumb and I have two die hard thumb suckers so I really pushed the paci!

I would take it away unless for comfort if you are worried about him not being interested.

I feel like there is a growth spurt around 3m so he might get really hungry in the next week or so!

If I felt my LO didn't get enough esp at that young an age I would just switch him again, so if he had bb #1, then switched to #2, if I felt he was just snacking but really needed to eat then I would put him back to #1 again etc. I know you are "suppposed" to do a full feeding from one, then the other, but that was what worked for me. He was a low weight too back then(10%) so I was making sure he fed well. I do recall thinking he had some super short feeds too.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
Leanbh
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, also sounds like he's just reaching that slightly older stage and getting distracted from what's going on.

On the opposite side, my LO is 8 months and has now figured out......ok, I'm done with #1, and then moves himself over to #2, so funny, I don't remember the other kids doing that! He's practically saying....NEXT....
Old 08-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #6
vintagegyrl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

cute!
thanks so much!
so if i have to hold the breast 4 him that is normal. OK
Also the business around him is tricky. but i think some of our feeds i can do in quiet and that will help overall. Also maybe i can train the kids NOT to ta;lk 2 me when i am feeding the baby!