Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
2peanuts1pumpkin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Swingsets

Do your kids actually play on them? When I was kid we had a metal one and I remember playing on it all the time with my sisters. I really want to get a wooden one for my kids, but DH thinks they won't use it. I think it will get used a lot...we have two year old twins with autism who LOVE to swing. One of them likes to climb and slide and is completely fearless, but the other not so much yet. There aren't any parks within walking distance and it is so hard for me to keep track of both of them at a park anyhow. We also have a six month old and an 11 year old who still likes to swing. I want something that will hold up well and that they will still want to play on as they get older.

The sets I'm looking at are the kids creations (they have a couple of these at Costco as well), cedarworks (the cheaper play around ones probably) and woodplay (which is what they sell at the store near us). Any thoughts or suggestions?

Advertisement

2peanuts1pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #2
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
My mil bought the kids a swingset. One of those huge wooden sets. She made sure and bought one big enough that anyone can use it- they can't outgrow it. The wood also has a lifetime guarantee. While they play on it in spurts I'm not too sure it was worth what she spent (about $10,000). If they had more friends come over it would be one thing but they love going to the park (any park) cause they are bound to meet new kids or see friends. At home it's just them iykwim. Plus I've had to find smaller toys for the little ones to play on till they are big enough. It's got a toddler swing but the slides, rockwall, and gangplank are big.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
mekat
Registered Users

Re: Swingsets

My one and only input is if you are going to plan to use a special therapy swing you might want to check how it will fit on the swing set since some of them hang by one central rope/chain instead of the normal two chains on most swing sets.
mekat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Hitchkids
Registered Users

Ours is used all the time by someone or other. But I have to admit my husband did a terrible job putting it together so I think we are going to have to replace huge parts of it or get a new one soon and it's not quite 5 years old so it really should be holding up better. But he was not interested in doing it quite right I guess and had an argument with the directions and all sorts of stuff.
Hitchkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
jackkant
Registered Users

My Mood:

I don't have too much input on how much it'd get used (though I would personally love a swingset!), but try checking out your local craigslist for inexpensive ones. I see them posted on a pretty regular basis in this area - usually it's a few hundred dollars to buy, and then you just have to move it. Much less than buying one new. If I didn't live in an apartment, I'd totally have one.

My blog, The Weekly What-What?! updates on Sundays and Thursdays.

EZ Squeezees Reusable Baby Food Pouch Product Review and Recipe
-- Children's Farm Books -- Children's Steampunk Picture Books
jackkant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
2peanuts1pumpkin
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekat
My one and only input is if you are going to plan to use a special therapy swing you might want to check how it will fit on the swing set since some of them hang by one central rope/chain instead of the normal two chains on most swing sets.
Thanks, I hadn't thought of that! They really just like regular old swings though, so that should be ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchkids
Ours is used all the time by someone or other. But I have to admit my husband did a terrible job putting it together so I think we are going to have to replace huge parts of it or get a new one soon and it's not quite 5 years old so it really should be holding up better. But he was not interested in doing it quite right I guess and had an argument with the directions and all sorts of stuff.
Lol, my husband would be the same way! We'd have to have it installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkant
I don't have too much input on how much it'd get used (though I would personally love a swingset!), but try checking out your local craigslist for inexpensive ones. I see them posted on a pretty regular basis in this area - usually it's a few hundred dollars to buy, and then you just have to move it. Much less than buying one new. If I didn't live in an apartment, I'd totally have one.
I've been looking, but it seems like people are asking a lot of money for fairly old ones. Drives me crazy!
2peanuts1pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
flynnsmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have been considering taking be from my friends who are moving, but I know it is really hard to move it here. I also am questioning if it will get used a lot, as DS is so social and wants kids to play with so we go to the park. I will be checking this thread to get some more input too.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #8
vivi_mama
Registered Users

My DD uses ours all the time when the weather's nice. It's great bc I can sit on my own bench swing and relax while she has a blast. I think it'd be especially useful for your twins; if they're needing some input you have it readily available in your back yard. Ours was left at the house when we bought it, but I like to think we would have purchased one anyway. If I had a kid who is a sensory seeker there's no doubt I'd get one.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would totally own one if the park wasn't literally 50ft from our backyard. My daughter wants to go there constantly and while I love to go, sometimes it would be nice to have one in our backyard when we want to cook on the grill, etc.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #10
emerino
Registered Users

We bought a kit and Cut the wood ourselves and built it. It's awesome. I just wish the kids felt the same way :-/. I have to force them to play, and even then, they just want to bring toys outside and sit on top and play with toys. It may have something to do with the heat, though. When the weather is nice they have fun and will stay out there for a while.