Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #21
mamastep
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I had to sign an acknowledgment of some sort basically stating that I was aware of the dangers of not vaxing. But I ended up firing the pedi's office not long after that over something completely unrelated. My kids are now 4 and 6, and I switched them to the family practice where I go.

Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #22
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did your pedi fire you?

A ped can't fire YOU. You are the consumer. They can deny you service (aka-your money!) You fire THEM.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #23
Umm_Ibraheem
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM View Post
Wow, firing seems to be way more common than I thought I do plan to call as a new patient tomorrow and ask what their policy is, I'm not feeling very hopeful now though.
Depending on how 'big' or 'small' that practice is I'd rather have a set of questions I'd like answered as well as 'possible' reasons why I'm asking those questions and have another person do the call (friend, co-worker, sibling etc). This way you don't run the risk of being 'identified'.
Umm_Ibraheem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #24
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

We've had 4 diff peds and NONE of them "fired" us. We've had everything from "I-think-you're-being-very-irresponsible-and-are-killing-your-kid" to "while-i-rec-them-you-are-the-parent-and-I-respect-your-choice" (and everything in between), but none of them have stopped being willing to treat my kids.

I quit 2 of them because *I* didn't like their attitudes toward us, the parents. The other one we lost because we changed insurance. The 4th one (who was also our first ped) is our FAVE. We're glad to be back on the insurance that lets us see her. She is 100% okay with non, selective, and/or delayed vaxing. I love her respect for parents.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #25
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Ours threatened to.
We got a new one.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 AM   #26
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I'll preface by saying that our ped is friends with my DH's Mom and he doesn't want to fire us and DH doesn't want to fire him.

We no longer vaccinate for various reasons but the big one is that my Mom died of a horrible disease, at a young age of something that is caused by heavy metals. I know that I am also allergic to heavy metals. So aluminum in vax's is a concern of mine. When we decided to stop vax'ing for this and other reasons we politely brought the conversation up to ped and he FLIPPED. He threw a paper at us from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia which was so biased and inflammatory that it had information in there where it was obvious that they were skewing numbers to prove their point. The paper actually convinced DH, who was on the fence, that he didn't want to vax.

Our ped then went and saw DH's Mom at church and totally bad mouthed us to her. Telling her how my Mom's illness (and my kids genetic predisposition to it) is of absolutely no concern, how we are silly to believe such and how MERCURY isn't in vax's anymore and it's been found to not cause autism so we are silly for being concerned. Talk about HIPPA violation.....DH's Mom immediately called up DH telling us how DARE we question the doctor and how we are not smart enough to do our own research and the ped is the only one who can do that. It caused a big huge fight that still rears it's head today.

It gets better though....

I was, lied to and assaulted at dd2's birth at the only hospital around. I would have been an idiot to deliver there again. I decided to have a HB for dd#3. I didn't mention this to ped, since I didn't think our birth choice really concerned him. We brought dd3 in for her 3 day appt. As soon as we walked in he asked us, "What kook delivered our baby at home and why did we let her convince us this was a good idea." I told him there was no way in heck we would be delivering at the local hosp. again since I was assaulted there and he told me that. "That doesn't matter. You need a neonatologist present to deliver babies " He also told me how, babies can be delivered anywhere just fine but we got lucky that our baby ended up alive.

He then told us that if we did a silly thing like deliver dd at home he bets we didn't do the eye ointment as well. I said no we didn't. He then tells me that my MW can loose her license in our state for that. I said, "I'm sorry even if I had delivered in a hospital I would have declined that." He again insisted that my OB and nurse in that situation could loose their license He then asked me if we did vit. K and I said yes. (didn't tell him it was the oral version though his head would probably have spun at that point if I did ) Needless to say I left there in tears because here is yet another person who seems to think that my assault doesn't matter at all.

I like the ped and he is a good dr. in other areas but he's old school and thinks patients shouldn't research or question things a dr. says at all. That's just not my style. Even though I'm mad at him for how he has treated us I still respect him. But DH won't let us find another ped. I refuse to walk in there again.

Last edited by Ellasundies; 08-03-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:01 AM   #27
Laylas_Mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellasundies
I'll preface by saying that our ped is friends with my DH's Mom and he doesn't want to fire us and DH doesn't want to fire him.

We no longer vaccinate for various reasons but the big one is that my Mom died of a horrible disease, at a young age of something that is caused by heavy metals. I know that I am also allergic to heavy metals. So aluminum in vax's is a concern of mine. When we decided to stop vax'ing for this and other reasons we politely brought the conversation up to ped and he FLIPPED. He threw a paper at us from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia which was so biased and inflammatory that it had information in there where it was obvious that they were skewing numbers to prove their point. The paper actually convinced DH, who was on the fence, that he didn't want to vax.

Our ped then went and saw DH's Mom at church and totally bad mouthed us to her. Telling her how my Mom's illness (and my kids genetic predisposition to it) is of absolutely no concern, how we are silly to believe such and how MERCURY isn't in vax's anymore and it's been found to not cause autism so we are silly for being concerned. Talk about HIPPA violation.....DH's Mom immediately called up DH telling us how DARE we question the doctor and how we are not smart enough to do our own research and the ped is the only one who can do that. It caused a big huge fight that still rears it's head today.

It gets better though....

I was, lied to and assaulted at dd2's birth at the only hospital around. I would have been an idiot to deliver there again. I decided to have a HB for dd#3. I didn't mention this to ped, since I didn't think our birth choice really concerned him. We brought dd3 in for her 3 day appt. As soon as we walked in he asked us, "What kook delivered our baby at home and why did we let her convince us this was a good idea." I told him there was no way in heck we would be delivering at the local hosp. again since I was assaulted there and he told me that. "That doesn't matter. You need a neonatologist present to deliver babies " He also told me how, babies can be delivered anywhere just fine but we got lucky that our baby ended up alive.

He then told us that if we did a silly thing like deliver dd at home he bets we didn't do the eye ointment as well. I said no we didn't. He then tells me that my MW can loose her license in our state for that. I said, "I'm sorry even if I had delivered in a hospital I would have declined that." He again insisted that my OB and nurse in that situation could loose their license He then asked me if we did vit. K and I said yes. (didn't tell him it was the oral version though his head would probably have spun at that point if I did ) Needless to say I left there in tears because here is yet another person who seems to think that my assault doesn't matter at all.

I like the ped and he is a good dr. in other areas but he's old school and thinks patients shouldn't research or question things a dr. says at all. That's just not my style. Even though I'm mad at him for how he has treated us I still respect him. But DH won't let us find another ped. I refuse to walk in there again.
Oh. My. Gosh. to you mama

(.Y.)exclusive pumper alumni(.Y.)
member of BWI of Hampton Roads, ask me about babywearing!
Laylas_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
I fired mine because they wanted me to sign releases or some crap, plus it was time to move on anyway because they were kind of far and I only chose them because they had a lactation consultant.

Anyway, we just happen to be a 5 minute walk away from ours now, and even though they do goofy things (like cut bandaids in half for vaccines) they have been a-ok with my choice to delay. I'm pretty lucky.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #29
bccc624
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ours doesn't seem to care either way. If it's one of our "regular" nurses, she brings the form in for me to sign when she first takes us back to the room. If not, we just let the nurse know that we don't vax, and they bring us the form. It's never been questioned, and they act indifferent about it

bccc624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #30
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
No, with either ped. DS's first ped was on a Navy Base and she wasnt happy but didnt fight me. At the time we were selective and delaying.

Our newer ped could careless. She is a naturopath and never bats an eye. We dont vax at all (havent in 2 years). She offers vax for patients who want them (she is a NP as well) but most of her patients dont vax.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is online now   Reply With Quote