Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #21
CarrieAnn0413
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Paleo & Primal Chat August/September

Hello, I lurk around once in awhile. I don't frequent DS as much as I used to since my kids are out of diapers but I drop in now and then to check out the homeschooling board. I have been on a long weight loss journey that started before I had my first DD and 6 yrs and 2 kids later I am almost to my goal weight (about 15 - 20lbs to go) and along the way I have cut back on sugar A LOT and then slowly cut back on carbs/processed foods. Now I am to the point of considering cutting out wheat and many other grains as well, along with sugar. The more I have cut back on the foods the more that I notice when I do indulge in any of them I feel like crap after, tired, brain fog, horribly bloated and gassy. I can have a little but if I eat a large sandwich or full plate of pasta I will feel it afterwards. I don't feel the need to cut out dairy but I don't really like much dairy either (use cheese, sour cream and greek yogurt sometimes).
I am having a hard time cutting out grains though and sugar also. I start craving it more it seems. Maybe it is a mental thing but it wins more than I'd like. I do fine with main meals but if I get hungry in between and go looking for a snack forget it. I can never find a quick snack to grab to get me through until meal time.

Anyone have any go to snack ideas? Something quick I can have ready to go that won't take much if any prep time when needed? I have heard that after some time on a paleo diet you wont feel the need for snacks anymore. That snacks are more of a need when your body is running on carbs and your blood sugar gets low and you feel that incredible need for a snack/re-fuel so after you get past that transition you wont really need snacks much anymore. Anyone feel that holds true for them? I'd like to think I will get to that point. But until then I need some snack options that wont ruin an otherwise healthy food day.

TIA for any ideas. I look forward to reading all the posts on this thread as I try dip into a bit of the paleo lifestyle.

Advertisement

Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #22
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I snack on trailmix with nuts and cranberries, celery and almond butter (ants on a log), apples and almond butter (or peanut butter ). Cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers with vinaigrette is another favorite. I also tend to keep sliced cold pork roast in the fridge.
=)
Old 08-27-2012, 01:04 PM   #23
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My kiddos have been pretty much paleo for two weeks now, except for some white rice when we eat Thai food and couple GF waffles for breakfast yesterday. Aside from them constantly asking for Peanut Butter sandwiches, it has been pretty smooth so far.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #24
MamaNotes
Registered Users

My Mood:
Snack time is hardest for me too. When I don't have things prepared and get hungry it sucks! Basically snacks are just a smaller version of another meal to me, so fruit veggies, hard boiled eggs, avocado... I'm used to crackers or chips as a snack so this is a hard transition!
MamaNotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #25
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

^ Hard boiled eggs are a favorite around here! The kids and I love them so much. DS only eats the whites and I love the yolks, so it works out awesomely. We also do deviled eggs or deviled eggs with bacon crumbled into the egg.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #26
mebl0901
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberP

How long were you eating this way? It usually takes a month or more to adjust between lowering carb intake and your stomach getting used to different veggies. Look up low-carb flu. It lasted almost two weeks for me before I felt the fog lift. Also, it is possible that you have an allergy or intolerance to something else you were eating too. For instance, I increased my nut intake and it turns out I get sick every time I eat pecans and I am quite allergic to walnuts. Also, when I started eating lots more greens, my digestive system went haywire for about a week and a half before it was used to it.
I made it a week or so. I know I need to give it more time. I had a hard time eating enough because figuring out what to eat was harder than I thought! And my go-to snacks were nuts and dried fruit which can end up being too fatty and sugary. I'll have to look up the "low carb flu" - that sounds interesting. I did really well with my diet and exercise until summer hit. Now I'm having the hardest time going back to "being good." I've gained almost 10 lbs!!!

Last edited by mebl0901; 08-28-2012 at 07:17 PM.
mebl0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 09:50 PM   #27
AmberP
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebl0901 View Post
I made it a week or so. I know I need to give it more time. I had a hard time eating enough because figuring out what to eat was harder than I thought! And my go-to snacks were nuts and dried fruit which can end up being too fatty and sugary. I'll have to look up the "low carb flu" - that sounds interesting. I did really well with my diet and exercise until summer hit. Now I'm having the hardest time going back to "being good." I've gained almost 10 lbs!!!
Give it a real go before you make up your mind. DH and I both took 3-5 weeks to adjust.

You WILL be hungrier until you kick the carb overdosing. I try to keep a roast or leftover chiken sliced in my fridge for snacking. Plan your meals and snacks ahead of time, that way you aren't constantly wandering around the kitchen looking for something. For the first month, I went through tons of apples, bananas and beef jerky LOL
Old 08-28-2012, 10:25 PM   #28
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

We're a primal family and our 22 month old eats what we eat. Dinner is meat and veggies, berries, sometimes fruit on the side. We do whole chickens in the oven, flank steak on the grill, chicken legs/thighs, hamburger, ground turkey, etc. We make enough for leftovers for DD's lunch the next day and sometimes mine too. So her lunch is leftover meat, leftover veggies, fruit and then other things like coconut yogurt, avocado, goat cheddar, etc. Primal has been a good fit for us - as we like to do about 90/10 and having the 10 leaves room open for graham crackers or a similar snack. We recently bought the book Eat Like A Dinosaur and it has some awesome recipes for snacks that are kid-friendly. We're excited to try some of these to have ready-to-go snacks.

I'm super lucky to have a DH who does most of the cooking. Lately we've been having a lot of egg and bacon breakfasts...we like bacon...a lot. Our local farmer's market has a couple of meat vendors with amazing bacon.

The biggest challenge for us is keeping grandparents from feeding her junk. I always pack food if we go over there, but inevitably Grandma wants to give her chocolate Teddy Grahams.
Greenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #29
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

ok I really need to get back to eating paleo. I just fail because I love carbs. But I really feel healthiest when I eat clean like this. I will be checking here for meal ideas because I get tired of salads. Breakfast is also hard. I have been eating breakfast sausage cut up and cooked with whatever veggies I can find. DS is nursing and allergic to eggs so I can't eat a lot of them. I used to do oatmeal but the blood sugar spike made me hungry again in an hour or so (another reason why I need to start eating paleo again)
Old 09-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #30
MamaZnR
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Can you have beans on this diet? And no dairy, right?
MamaZnR is offline   Reply With Quote