Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:
Birth Assault

Have you experienced this, and has it changed your view of birth?

I just read the phrase "birth assault" in another thread and realized how accurate it is. It perfectly describes my feelings about my episiotomy. Babe's head circumference is and was in the lowest percentile for his age, and he weighed only 7 pounds at birth. He's healthy, just skinny all around. My midwives called the OB because babe's heart rate was falling during contractions due to a pinched cord, and thems the rules. The OB marched in and immediately wanted a c-section. In response I told him to go *blank* himself and began pushing like heck even without contractions. I got my babe from -2 to +2 in less time than it took for the OB to setup the operating room and call the anesthesiologist. When the OB came in next the midwives had to stop him from wheeling my bed away because my babe was crowning. As soon as he realized there wouldn't be a c-section he grabbed the snippers and cut me, over my husband's and my objections. My husband and I both yelled that I did NOT want an episiotomy and would prefer even a severe tear, but the OB shot back that my babe could die if he didn't do it immediately. Frankly I don't buy that. When babe came out his apgar was 8 at minute 1 and 10 at minute 5. This is not a baby who was about to die. This was an OB who was pissed off that I didn't need him to cut me open, so he decided to cut wherever he could. I call that assault. At first I was very confident in my midwives and hospital birth, but now every time I think about having a second baby I see my body splitting open where that man cut me and it makes me furious.

Advertisement

Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
ButtRpies
Registered Users
Formerly: rjwinner
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Birth Assault

Yikes! I've never had that bad with my 3; they've prgressively gotten better but haven't been my "perfect birth" yet.
Have you complained to the hospital board?? I would at least write a letter so that it's on this guy's record. What an a**!
I'm SO sorry this happened to you Mama! It's not always like that. It sounds like it was your first baby; I guarantee you and your hubby will be adament with the next one to the point of shoving a doc away if ANYTHING is out of line with your birth plan; except in DIRE circumstances.
Maybe a home birth for the next would be better? Or hiring a doula who, yes, you pay extra for BUT they are your line of defense when you and hubby are busy bringing a new life into the world.
But DEFINATELY write a letter to the hospital's board of directors and if this guy has a practice, to the others he shares with. They should ALL be aware and maybe he has a history of this type of thing.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had a similar experience. It was after i was transfered to the hospital and several nurses and interns held me down as i screamed no and asked for meds. Things were inserted in my vagina against my will. It was not an emergency. I know it wasnt rape in the traditional sense but i processed it as assault. I am still dealing with ptsd and my dd is 4. Im terrified of another pregnancy and i have not been able to have any interaction with a member of the medical community without having a major panic attack.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
Mamatoabunch
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh mama I get so discouraged reading these stories. I am so sorry.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:16 PM   #5
marliah
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am so sorry, that is assault and it is wrong that it happened to you.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Lady_B
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I am so sorry mommas.
Owner and designer of Butterfly Elephants, waldorf style dolls
Lady_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
Catbutt Diapers
Registered Users
seller

This is a very common occurrence. In my hospital in order to be treated we MUST sign a waver saying that you give the Dr. full permission to do ANYTHING they feel necessary, even without telling you first. I got cut againced my will as well, although afterwards my doula said that it was probably necessary.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
trying4more
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm so sorry that you had that happen. There is nothing like someone going against your feelings and requests!
I asked to tear naturally with my first and boy did I. 4 different places that ALL required stitches!
With the 3 births following that one with little and bigger weights than my first, I have not torn AT ALL.
So, it's possible that your body will have an easier time allowing the space to bring baby out without the doc freaking out thinking you may cutting again!
Or, maybe find a new doc/mw or home birth if that's an option!
trying4more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Its so much more common than I thought. There is a forum for women who feel that they have suffered a traumatic experience during the birthing process but I cant remember what its called. So many similar stories. Its very sad.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
jackyl08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OMG, how horrible, mama! I've had two wonderful hospital births and just never dreamed this sort of thing could happen.