Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2012, 10:45 PM   #11
leadmare
Registered Users
seller

Re: Birth Assault

Dear mama, I am so sorry you experienced this and am furious on your behalf. Birth does NOT have to be like that! Write a letter to the hospital, leave the doc a Google review, and go home birth for your next.

Advertisement

leadmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #12
jj7202
Registered Users
seller

I am so sorry mama.. Don't docs take an oath "first do no harm"?? I would defiantly report him! think I would have kicked him in the face... but I am sure in the moment you thought you were safe until the cut happened!

Bless you mama! Birth is natural, not a medical emergency! Although I know that today's technologies have saved lives it is unfortunate that these kinds of assaults happen. My heart goes out to you mamas.
jj7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:02 AM   #13
Ellasundies
Registered Users

I apologize in advance this is probably going to be long.

In my area there is really only one doctor practice (one practice two locations) and one hospital that delivers. In hindsight I had a normal pregnancy with no problems yet every single time I went to the Dr's office there was some kind of problem. They were always disrespectful, refused to let me see one dr. throughout the pregnancy (you had to see all of them) and dr's had NO clue who I was or what was going on in my pregnancy when I would come in to appts. I could probably write a book on just the pregnancy and their idiocy. I would feel like crying every time I had an appt. and as a result spent the entire pregnancy so disassociated from my little bun in the oven.

When it came time to deliver I felt like I had to go in there protecting myself from them. The Dr. (who ironically enough is the chief of obstetrics at this hospital) came in and broke my water without telling me he was even going to do so. He told me he was just doing an exam. He left and contractions started picking up. I started getting pushy and called the nurse to tell her it was time to go. She examined me and in a very condescending tone told me I was only at a 7 and had lots of time to go. I reminded her that when I delivered my first (this was #2) I went from 7 to delivery in about 20 min's. She patted my head and said something like, "sure hunny whatever you say" and she left. My DH believed her so I was there to push by myself. When dd started to crown 11 or so minutes later I told DH he went and told the nurses and after much scrambling around the "dr" came in and "delivered" dd's body (I had pushed her out to about her belly button by the time he came. She was really born in only two big pushes).

I held dd and then they told me they had to take her while they got me cleaned up. I was in shock that she had come that quick and had originally wanted an epi, that I never got so I was pretty busy wrapping my head around things. Then the "dr" told me that he suspected a uterine rupture and that he needed to do an exam on me pronto. This was within 1 minute or so after birth. I knew things didn't add up (I felt fine and was not a VBAC patient) but I was still in labor lala land and okay'ed it since uterine rupture in my head = death.

He then proceeded to insert his ARM up into me, while I'm still contracting no less. He was probably up to his midforearm inside of me. It was the most excruciating pain in my life. I SCREAMED, up until that point I had been silent, and the dumb nurse sneered at me while I did so. I can't even begin to describe the pain but I would deliver 1,000 babies naturally if I never had to go through that. He ripped my placenta out by scratching it out of me with his fingers. I tried kicking him off of me but the nurses held my legs down. After he rushed out of the room without a word. Afterwards they wouldn't give me my dd back saying she needed to be warmed under the lights . Again I should have fought harder but was still in shock.

I began having nightmares that were incredibly vivid of the whole procedure. Only in my dreams it was like I was being raped by my dr's arm. Even after I would wake up I would still feel the burning pain I did that day and it lingered. Things never added up for me and I questioned the whole experience. I knew he didn't need to do what he had done but couldn't pin point why he had done it. I was still sure that he was trying to help me.

About 7 or 8 months pp I came across a description for a manual removal of the placenta procedure. That is what he did to me. At that point I realized what he had done had been completely unnecessary. I went to the hospital and got my medical records. There was nothing on there that would have indicated his 'suspicion' of a uterine rupture. There was also the omission on my records that it had ever taken place, with both the dr's and nurses records stating it had delivered naturally.

I went to the police who laughed and told me that they would never win an assault case like that against a dr. and they had better things to do They told me to pursue a civil suit. I was going to sue (and I'm not sue happy but I wanted this to STOP as I had heard from several other women they had the same procedure done to them at that hospital). but the lawyers said in my state as long as the dr can find another dr. to say they would have done the same then there is no case. So no lawyers would take my case either. Apparently it's ok for a dr. to assault a women only lay people get in trouble for that

After hearing about it happening to yet another women I made an appt. with the vice president of the birthing suites at the hospital. I told her my story. She didn't sound like she really believed it since "Dr. XXX is such a good dr. held in high esteem." She said she would look into it and talk to him though. She called me back after discussing it with him. She told me, "Well they didn't perform a manual removal of the placenta on you he just did an exam(to not get in trouble about them lying on it on my records). But Dr. XXXX said it's standard procedure at our hospital and he did it to protect you
1) hemorrhage
and
2) retained placenta

I informed her that that procedure actually puts women at risk for hemorrhage, and why would he need to do the exam to protect me from a retained placenta if my placenta had already been delivered naturally. She didn't have an answer and said he is such a good dr. and since she doesn't know me she will have to form her opinions based on what she already knows about him. I told her that was fine I can understand that but I hope she realizes that once the hospital gets sued I WILL testify against them and someone IS going to get hurt by this. I also told her that I at least want her to remember my story so that when she hears a similar story in the future mine will be corroborated. At the very least she did sound like her confidence in the "good dr. " was shaken.

This happened in the North East Pennsylvania/Scranton area. If anyone wants to find out which hospital it was they should feel free to pm me.

I have since been diagnosed with PTSD, which I received therapy for that really helped with the nightmares and other stuff. I went on to have a homebirth for #3 and all was well.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 AM   #14
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Wow Ellasundies, can you find the other women this happened to and maybe go to the media with it?

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #15
Ellasundies
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3 View Post
Wow Ellasundies, can you find the other women this happened to and maybe go to the media with it?
Ugh... Two of the women I know of hadn't yet figured it out that what happened after their births shouldn't have, and weren't that wigged out about it because they thought the dr was trying to save them. I'm very hesitant to clue them in, in that situation. Another women in an ironic twist of fate was a complete stranger to me sitting across from me at a restaurant while I was waiting for a friend. I heard her bawling to her companion about what was done to her. Again I was hesitant to say anything to her but it was her story that made me go to the vice president and complain. The final women knows what was done to her but is dealing with it by not dealing with it. KWIM?

Plus this hospital somehow won a health grades excellence award, which is apparently given by having a low complication rate so I'm sure the media isn't that keen on throwing them down since they always seem to be bragging about that reward. I don't even know how they won the reward. I have heard from several people that work there they lie about c-section rates. Since they lied on my own records I'm inclined to think that is how they won.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
weesej
Registered Users
seller
seller

I used to be a doula at a hospital where a Dr had a 100% episiotomy rate. If the baby came too fast he did it afterward.

"It's not healthy to have spirochetes eating away at your brain" What do you know about Lyme?
weesej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:28 AM   #17
melyndie
Registered Users
seller

My situation wasn't as extreme as yours, but I specifically told the OB that I wanted to tear, not be cut. As DD was crowning, the OB said, "I know you don't want this, but..." and cut me! Granted, DD was coming down sunny side up and did have her hand at her face (and I was flat on my back with an epi), so maybe the cut was necessary, but the way she went about it was so violating. I also tore massively down my birth canal and other places. I honestly think I had PTSD after the birth (because of this incident and others) and that I had to process my birth like a rape, as sad as that is. I don't think it is natural to want to avoid all people and even co-sleeping in the weeks following a birth because I did not want anyone touching me in any way. Ugh.

The good news is that I gave birth nine days ago, and it was an amazing homebirth waterbirth. It was SUCH a healing experience! I had a lot of fears of having a repeat birth, but I processed my last birth with the help of my original doula, the doula who attended this birth, and my birth instructor, and that helped so much. I feel like a whole person again--and an empowered one. Even when one of my fears came true in labor (severe back pain again), I was able to deal with it and not freak out.

BTW, even though this second baby weighed a pound and a half more and had a much bigger head than the first baby, I only had one first degree tear!!! The tear did start at my episiotomy site, but it only tore a little there. I only needed three stitches total!

There is hope for you.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #18
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My experience is very similar. I will never forget the blood on the doctors arm far beyond the gloves. I did nothing about it as I didn't realize what had happened until about a year later when i got diagnosed with ptsd.

i dont think i will ever get over it enough to have another baby. Dd was born at a freestanding birth center with a midwife but wasn't breathing and ended up with cerebral palsy. My midwives weren't negligent and I had a great experience until the actual birth, but I think I would be too afraid of complications to give birth outside of a hospital, but my experiences in the hospital have left me with such fear of doctors I can't see how I would be able to birth in a hospital either. I'm screwed either way.

Last edited by newmommy13; 08-04-2012 at 09:26 PM.
newmommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
Ellasundies
Registered Users

To the Mamas who have had trauma and have a hard time getting over it I highly suggest EMDR therapy. Talk therapy takes a long time but the EMDR helped in ONE session. It works great for the situations regarding birth trauma.

Someone else mentioned they had to process it as a rape... I had to do the same thing, once I recognized it as rape and honored it as such I finally started down the road to recovery.

To th pp. One of the things that baffles me to this day is I can't figure why he did it. I try to always give people the benefit of the doubt and when I do for that dr I can only think that he is just incredibly ignorant. But knowing his background I find that hard to believe. The only thing I can think of that seems remotely logical is that he just wanted out of my room. It was right at the end of a shift change and all their delivery rooms were full with more women waiting outside.

Were you ever able to fInd out why your dr did that to you?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #20
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Last edited by newmommy13; 08-05-2012 at 08:14 AM.
newmommy13 is offline   Reply With Quote