Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #41
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I was present when my bff had her second child. She got the hospital "midwife" on call. (i hate to use the term midwife for hospital personel because in my experience they are not the same as traditional midwives.) when she was delivering him the midwife had ahold of his head twisting it around so violently that I had to turn my back and almost threw up, because I thought she was going to break his neck. The entire birth was caught on video tape ..even tho it was against hospital policy so this is all on tape. After he was born the nurses were so rough and uncaring I was a nervous wreck. Twice I watched as the nurse dropped instruments and objects out of an upper cabinet onto the newborns face. there was 4 of us present, bffs hubby ,dad and mom and me. Me and mom are watching baby(backs turned to bff) Dad is holding bffs hand and hubby is holding a pan for her to vomit in. this is minutes after birth. Suddenly the midwife starts yelling at all of us: "i can't believe ya'll are standing around here staring at her girly parts..without any consideration of how she feels!!" First of all , we 2 had our backs turned and those standing at her side couldn't see anything over the sheet they had draped over her knees. She continues her rant, "all of you get out of here now!!"
As soon as we in our confusion left the room...my bff told me she stuck her whole arm up in her and ripped the placenta out. She went into shock at that point.
But we know why the "midwife" did it. It was prom night. Her dd was waiting outside of her room, fully decked out in her prom attire waiting for her mom. She made us all leave so there were no witnesses to the assult. She didn't even wait a couple minutes for the placenta to do it's thing naturally.
It was extremely tramatic for her, and when she was present for one my births 4 years later, she was awed by the midwives patience and unhurried demeanor. She now is a doula.

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2012, 04:59 AM   #42
AmeliasMum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Birth Assault

Yup....Been through this. I had two quick, quiet pain free unassisted home/waterbirths. Then with my 3rd, my DH was in ND, and I had gone to our ranch in CA because homebirth in ND is NOT highly looked upon. As in most cases are referred to CPS after the fact for investigation. My previous two kiddos were late, 42 and 41wks. I had been seeing MW for prenatal care, and she knew my plans to UC. I had been having cntrx, and because I was only 37wks, I assumed they were BH. I called her, she was 3 hours away on a delivery, and she said to head into the hospital just to be checked. I headed up to L & D, where they said I was 5cm and in active labor, without even tracing me first. I said no, I had been at 4-5cm for weeks. I said I was ready to go home, since I wasn't at 8cm or anything. They refused to let me leave. Threatened me with CPS for neglect if I left. I said I wanted to sign out AMA, then threatened me with the Sheriff, to this day I have no idea what the charge would have been? I said fine, let me go home and at least pack a bag, I have nothing with me, not even my contact case. Nope, they refused to let me leave. They then stuck the IV in my arm after I said no, broke my water after I said no, gave me Pit because I "stalled" at 8cm. Gave me Stadol after I said NO drugs at all, because I needed to "relax" to to past 8cm. They made my Parents and other children leave. I had NO ONE in the room I knew. They gave me too much Pit, and I went to 10cm in like 10 minutes, with a dose of Stadol, I was loopy. They started to scream and lights went on, alarms went off, and my bed got positioned and I was told to push now. Turns out Lilys' heartrate had gone off the monitor. Her placenta had detached due to the overdose of Pit, and a contraction that lasted over 2 minutes, and was WAY off the charts. She came out in one push, WITH her placenta, and was caught by her foot, due to her speed of "exit." The placenta hit the floor, causing a minor umbilical hernia, and I bled and bled. The Dr ordered blood, but by the time it made it there, they had pushed another bag of Pit through me and I contracted down. The floor was covered in blood from the bed to the sink. I should add, I had a total of 17 vag exams by at least 9 different people, in the 6 hours I was there. I had no one with me for delivery, my DH had left ND when I told him they refused to let me leave, and didn't make it there until the following morning. I have been dx with PTSD, which is lovely since my DH has severe PTSD due to two tours in Iraq. I am supposed to be the level headed one. And here I sit, 11wks with #4, in North Dakota, where a homebirth is out of the question, and I have to see a regular OB, and plan a hospital delivery. The closest MW is over 3 hours away, and cannot attend homebirths, so that isn't even an option. Add to that, the hospital I will have to deliver at is 2+ hours away, and I am a mess most days. I will likely be looking at an induction, due to my labors being under 2 hours once I KNOW I am in labor. Yup, I'm screwed, and all I can do is plan until I can't plan any longer.

Last edited by AmeliasMum; 09-27-2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: spelling
AmeliasMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #43
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Birth Assault

I'm so sorry That sounds like a terrible position to be in. How do you feel about your OB?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliasMum View Post
Yup....Been through this. I had two quick, quiet pain free unassisted home/waterbirths. Then with my 3rd, my DH was in ND, and I had gone to our ranch in CA because homebirth in ND is NOT highly looked upon. As in most cases are referred to CPS after the fact for investigation. My previous two kiddos were late, 42 and 41wks. I had been seeing MW for prenatal care, and she knew my plans to UC. I had been having cntrx, and because I was only 37wks, I assumed they were BH. I called her, she was 3 hours away on a delivery, and she said to head into the hospital just to be checked. I headed up to L & D, where they said I was 5cm and in active labor, without even tracing me first. I said no, I had been at 4-5cm for weeks. I said I was ready to go home, since I wasn't at 8cm or anything. They refused to let me leave. Threatened me with CPS for neglect if I left. I said I wanted to sign out AMA, then threatened me with the Sheriff, to this day I have no idea what the charge would have been? I said fine, let me go home and at least pack a bag, I have nothing with me, not even my contact case. Nope, they refused to let me leave. They then stuck the IV in my arm after I said no, broke my water after I said no, gave me Pit because I "stalled" at 8cm. Gave me Stadol after I said NO drugs at all, because I needed to "relax" to to past 8cm. They made my Parents and other children leave. I had NO ONE in the room I knew. They gave me too much Pit, and I went to 10cm in like 10 minutes, with a dose of Stadol, I was loopy. They started to scream and lights went on, alarms went off, and my bed got positioned and I was told to push now. Turns out Lilys' heartrate had gone off the monitor. Her placenta had detached due to the overdose of Pit, and a contraction that lasted over 2 minutes, and was WAY off the charts. She came out in one push, WITH her placenta, and was caught by her foot, due to her speed of "exit." The placenta hit the floor, causing a minor umbilical hernia, and I bled and bled. The Dr ordered blood, but by the time it made it there, they had pushed another bag of Pit through me and I contracted down. The floor was covered in blood from the bed to the sink. I should add, I had a total of 17 vag exams by at least 9 different people, in the 6 hours I was there. I had no one with me for delivery, my DH had left ND when I told him they refused to let me leave, and didn't make it there until the following morning. I have been dx with PTSD, which is lovely since my DH has severe PTSD due to two tours in Iraq. I am supposed to be the level headed one. And here I sit, 11wks with #4, in North Dakota, where a homebirth is out of the question, and I have to see a regular OB, and plan a hospital delivery. The closest MW is over 3 hours away, and cannot attend homebirths, so that isn't even an option. Add to that, the hospital I will have to deliver at is 2+ hours away, and I am a mess most days. I will likely be looking at an induction, due to my labors being under 2 hours once I KNOW I am in labor. Yup, I'm screwed, and all I can do is plan until I can't plan any longer.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #44
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wtf is with not wanting to wait for the placenta?! Makes me so mad.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:17 AM   #45
mapleleaf88
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeliasMum
Since the hospital is so far away, and you're predisposed to precipitous births, maybe you just won't have time to make it to the hospital and will have no choice but to birth at home? have hubby call 9-1-1, show CPS that you called an ambulance, it was just too late.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #46
4dramamama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyroberts
I was present when my bff had her second child. She got the hospital "midwife" on call. (i hate to use the term midwife for hospital personel because in my experience they are not the same as traditional midwives.) when she was delivering him the midwife had ahold of his head twisting it around so violently that I had to turn my back and almost threw up, because I thought she was going to break his neck. The entire birth was caught on video tape ..even tho it was against hospital policy so this is all on tape. After he was born the nurses were so rough and uncaring I was a nervous wreck. Twice I watched as the nurse dropped instruments and objects out of an upper cabinet onto the newborns face. there was 4 of us present, bffs hubby ,dad and mom and me. Me and mom are watching baby(backs turned to bff) Dad is holding bffs hand and hubby is holding a pan for her to vomit in. this is minutes after birth. Suddenly the midwife starts yelling at all of us: "i can't believe ya'll are standing around here staring at her girly parts..without any consideration of how she feels!!" First of all , we 2 had our backs turned and those standing at her side couldn't see anything over the sheet they had draped over her knees. She continues her rant, "all of you get out of here now!!"
As soon as we in our confusion left the room...my bff told me she stuck her whole arm up in her and ripped the placenta out. She went into shock at that point.
But we know why the "midwife" did it. It was prom night. Her dd was waiting outside of her room, fully decked out in her prom attire waiting for her mom. She made us all leave so there were no witnesses to the assult. She didn't even wait a couple minutes for the placenta to do it's thing naturally.
It was extremely tramatic for her, and when she was present for one my births 4 years later, she was awed by the midwives patience and unhurried demeanor. She now is a doula.
This account makes me sick toy stomach. I'm so so sorry.

I have been present at four hospital births (2 mine and 2 for SIL) and just remembering how healthy newborns are handled and violently suctioned in the nose and throat makes me not ever want to be in a hospital while delivering.
Beth, Christian mama of 5 (expecting #6 Spring 2013).
Check out my blog Heart Stirred with Wisdom
4dramamama is offline   Reply With Quote