Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just made some...

Dill pickled green tomatoes using my new Tattler lids. Followed the directions to a T so I hope all my lids seal nicely. They are cooling now, its quite weird not to hear the pinging.

Gonna use more tomorrow for green beans- it will also be my first time ever using a pressure canner. I don't think its a good sign that I couldn't even open the thing when I pulled it out of the box. I read something about needing to put veggie oil on it to help it open easier. I don't know, I'll have to read the instruction manual in the morning. Now its bed time. Good night ladies.

Advertisement

Last edited by jbug_4; 08-28-2012 at 07:56 PM.
jbug_4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
DCAMama
Registered Users
Formerly: dm**ge
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just made some...

Just put a little bit around the gasket. It will help with making it a little easier to open. And good luck! I just got my tattler lids yesterday and I have a bunch of peaches, pears, nectarines, and tomatoes to do and I just found out about a county owned apple orchard not to far from me that I think I'm going to check out this weekend, if I have most of the rest of the canning done.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

I have no idea about the pressure canner, after talking to my friend Joanne who said that you can get seriously burned with one I'm a little afraid of them!
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3lilbubs View Post
I have no idea about the pressure canner, after talking to my friend Joanne who said that you can get seriously burned with one I'm a little afraid of them!
Yeah I have put off getting one for a long time. I just freeze the low acid stuff, but we really wanted to get some canned. I haven't figured the canner out yet though. I can't seem to get it at the right pressure. I ended up freezing my beans after all until I can get some more practice and figure this thing out.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

not hearing the ping use to totally throw me for the loop and I really started to miss it! LOL. glad you like them though!
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:30 AM   #6
Bethany89
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I thought pressure canning was hard but if you read the directions it's very easy! Just do what it says and you'll do fine

Put it on high to bring it up to the pressure you want then once it's there keep turning down the heat til it'll stay there.. Release pressure from the valve on top if it goes over. I have found like a notch below medium holds mine at 10 psi..

Last edited by Bethany89; 09-01-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Bethany89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 04:28 AM   #7
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethany89 View Post
I thought pressure canning was hard but if you read the directions it's very easy! Just do what it says and you'll do fine

Put it on high to bring it up to the pressure you want then once it's there keep turning down the heat til it'll stay there.. Release pressure from the valve on top if it goes over. I have found like a notch below medium holds mine at 10 psi..
I did that. Didn't work in the hour that it was on the stove. I didn't have time to keep messing with it. Might be my stove. I use that burner for the water bath canner, but I think that burner might cycle too much.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So there is steam and water dripping out of one of the handle/lock things. I read somewhere- certainly not in my users guide- that there is a smaller gasket in the lock. So once it cools down I will see if I can't find that gasket and stretch it, oil it and see of that solves the problem. Thats what they say your suppose to do for the lid gasket, but since the steam and water is only coming on the one side it has to be there. unless I am not getting it on right, but it has a little pop up thing that is reacting when I lock it and it makes a suction type noise so pretty sure its on right.