Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
brookglen
Registered Users

Re: August *Garden Chat thread*

How do you guys deal with beneficials that also sting/bite? My stepson reached into a tomato bush this morning and pulled his hand out with a wasp still stuck to it. Traumatizing for everyone.

Advertisement

brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #12
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Booboo chickens is doing crazy dances for the girls before he runs them down and tackels them, haha. The boys thought he was beating them up. We tried the whole he just wants a kiss. Now Mrs. Purdy is squatting. Ugh. Now he's after them all and so are the little guys. Tiney little things mounting the huge australorps is a riot. I explained it's called breeding. it will make babies. I said I'll tell him more later, he's too young to know more. Also, he's not to talk about it at school, even though it's all natural.

The corn is doing better with the rain the last cpl days, lots of baby corn comin up. I have a bad feeling it will be stunted in it's growth though as it get's cooler.

I just can't seem to get a handle on the powdery mildew. I'm already doing crop rotation, destroying the infected, blah, blah.... The crops at the other side of the property have it as well. The neem oil helped some. Not enough tobuy more atm though.

What an awfull gardening year it has been. I think it will be much better next year if we can get up a greenhouse, put in the water saveing system, rotate the crops, and change the direction of the rows in the main garden. It's our first seasion in this house, so we experimented a LOT this year. I now know what works and what doesn't. I'll just do my own thing next year. Whatever works for me. The online sites were helpfull, but you really just need to find what will work for you. Just like cd's, lol!!!
Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
sarahannecloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #13
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookglen View Post
How do you guys deal with beneficials that also sting/bite? My stepson reached into a tomato bush this morning and pulled his hand out with a wasp still stuck to it. Traumatizing for everyone.
Aw, I'm so sorry!

We just work around them. The boys know not to smush them or mess with them, even the spiders. They only touch the grasshoppers to feed to the chickens. Just till they learn the diff between the bugs. We have marygolds and sunflowers every 3-4 feet in the garden to draw in the pollenators. We really just work around them. I even reach right next to the bees to grab a dead marigolds to save for seeds. They just don't bother us. Now the dang yellow jackets are BAD this year. It's mostly around the trash cans and the humming bird feeders.. We started makeing homemade traps. Cut a hole in a milk jug, use a piece of other thin plastic to make a funnel interance, add apple juice and hang away from everyone. make many of them. You will be catching them by the hundreds and we havn't caught a honey bee yet, just the yellow jackets. They are too mean to deal with!

Sarah, OCD about, Chickens, Gardening, Farming, and all things Homestead! Wife 2 my savior since 97 Jimmy Ray, momma 2 my blessingsCayden 3/29/05 ANDWilliam 1/23/09~~Desperate for just 1 more. ~~Missing my beloved moma, Karen- 4/14/09 and Daddy-89
Old 08-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
mamajoe
Registered Users
seller

Fall crops? We don't do that up here? What do you all plant? How long is the needed growing season? Only things we plant as short, cool growing are raishes and spinach.

Beans, corn and tomatoes are doing well here this year. Cucumbers are just coming on and the carrots and onions are super small and late this year beets are ready, so gonna have to pickle some this week. Cherries should be ready this week so will need to do something with those. Sour cherries and there will be buckets upon buckets of them.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

My garden is doing okay. I got a late start, so still waiting for most of it to produce. Tomatoes are starting to fruit, but growing slowly (probably not really, but I'm impatient and want to eat them like yesterday ) pumpkins have flowered a few times, then wilted, then perked up, then wilted (done this a few times). They seem to need a lot if babying in a container :/ Next year I really need to maximize the limited ground space I have. I probably won't do vines, I dint think we eat them enough to justify the space.

Oh oh oh! Today we ate the first fruit of the garden though! We bought a blackberry plant (I think it was a clipping and not from seed) and it finally had one blackberry that was completely ripened I didn't want to be selfish, so we all 3 shared one blackberry how do clippings work? The plant has grown considerably, but it hasn't flowered anywhere besides where the original flowers were when I first bought it (only on one branch though).

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #16
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mamajoe, I put in a pp what I planted for our fall crop. All I have left are the greens.

Marianna, They are like roses, rose of sharon, creap mertile, and many other plants. They grow roots when the slipping is planted. Many plants will root. I just rooted tons, even some cherry tomatoes that broke at mil's.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #17
mamajoe
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Mamajoe, I put in a pp what I planted for our fall crop. All I have left are the greens.

Marianna, They are like roses, rose of sharon, creap mertile, and many other plants. They grow roots when the slipping is planted. Many plants will root. I just rooted tons, even some cherry tomatoes that broke at mil's.
Oops. I read that but it didn't sink in

I'm hoping to successfully grow broccoli and cauliflower next year. We always have issues with bugs
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #18
sarahannecloud9
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have MAJOR issues with the little worms as well, on the cabbage too. I spray those plants though. I gave up on doing all'nateural. I wouldn't have had a single plant left!
Oh well. I've learned to pick my battles.

You doing broc/cauli this fall? or just next year?
Old 08-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #19
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

I have a little more time, now I can really catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahannecloud9 View Post
Can't wait to see those cherries!!! Wow, sounds like the garden is hoppin!
Black toms are new to me too. What I have been doing is picking when the bottom is dark and the top is still green. For some reasion my tops are just staying green forever. I also let the bottom start to get a bit soft.

here are some pics I enjoyed.

As my corn get's to be a good size, some are just snapping off or ffalling over? What the heck?

My helper.

What a cutie!
Some of the mellons that are finally makeing it!

Yay! So teeny lol
Boys will be boys. They actually broke the thing.

Purple beans starting to blossom.

My early mornin helper!

Crazy black tomato.

that looks so funny!
A cuc Gramma missed.

whoa! HUGE!
The little boys playing on the tractor, classic, lol.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:02 PM   #20
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookglen View Post
Hi guys! I have been mia. I'm finally starting to feel like a human being again and am now in the second trimester. It was a rough one.
Glad you're feeling better! The first trimester kicks my butt too.

So I have yet to taste a single tomato from my garden because the very thought made me want to throw up. I failed to pickle any of my cucumbers because I was sleeping 10 hours a day. The whole gardenis a jungle of weeds right now and I'm half tempted to just till everything and start my winter crops.

On the plus side, I got four pumpkins off of one vine (and it looks like one more is one the way!). My mom says my corn looks better than anything they are growing in Iowa right now (there has been a water shortage this year). Anyway, I think I'm ready to get back in my garden, I just have to figure out where to start, because there is a ton of work to be done.
I've heard corn drops are awful. I wish I had started gardening before this year. This year is really a test run and I don't expect to be able to put up a whole lot. Food prices are supposed to get more insane