Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Pt'ing at 17m?

My 17m dd wants to potty learn. She pulls at her diaper and runs to the potty/toilet and insists that she be put on it. She has yet to pee on the potty though. I feel like I'm giving her ample opportunity, sitting with her while she "tries" and leaving her diaper-less for short periods.

What am I missing? Is it really too early? Is she just copying her brothers? or does she ACTUALLY have the sensation that she has to pee?

I need success stories please!!! what else do I need to try?

Advertisement

eljube112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
MommyJen_11
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Pt'ing at 17m?

My 18 mo. son has been doing that since around 16.5/ 17 months. We bought a potty and he has peed little bits in it here and there and a couple small poops after pooping in his diaper. He is starting to get a connection I think and grabs at his diaper sometimes when he is peeing. If we get to the potty fast he can finish there, but usually just realizes it and then if I ask him if he wants the potty he says "no". I think it's just an early understanding of the concepts and an interest in it, but not necessarily showing they are ready to take it on. When we change his diaper he often asks to sit on the potty then. I am keeping the potty available and letting him sit there when he wants and not showing a lot of care either way so I don't disrupt his interest. I think it will ebb and flow.

I think you are doing everything right by letting her sit on it and aknowledging her interest. My son also seems to "try" to pee or poop when the dog does his buisness in the grass. My son will stand near the dog and kinda of squat. It's probably all just part of the learning experience.

I really like this blog post on potty learning:
http://bonzochoochandme.blogspot.com/
MommyJen_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #3
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

great blog, thank you!

Old 08-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Elaine- we started emmitt at 17 months. We didn't push, and he wasn't fully trained until 2...and still isn't 100% night trained. Don't know what you consider success, but it was worth it to us to start when he showed interest. He was never a kid that refused to pee in the potty, etc. I say go for it!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
eljube112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Bmommy View Post
Elaine- we started emmitt at 17 months. We didn't push, and he wasn't fully trained until 2...and still isn't 100% night trained. Don't know what you consider success, but it was worth it to us to start when he showed interest. He was never a kid that refused to pee in the potty, etc. I say go for it!
Thanks Hadley. I'm starting to think Aub will be pt'ed before Joel.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
tristansmile
Registered Users
seller

Hi. My little girl, 19 months, showed interest around 16 months. We were doing very part time EC since 8 months or so. She started with pee only and that progressed to poo too. I never pressured her but I do do a little excited pee-pee dance and cheers when she goes. And when she goes on the floor, I say thats ok and take her to the potty to finish. I have her naked-bum as frequently as possible and have a potty near by. She either initiates herself now or starts a little, grabs her crotch and says "uh-oh" and runs to the potty to finish, or comes to me and says "pssss" to tell me she has to pee. Although she uses the potty about 90% of the time when she is naked, she only occasionally tells me she has to go when she is diapered. I'm not sure how to get to that point. I bought some training pants but she has trouble pulling them down. We'll see.

I think that this is a long process for most little ones and it's different for all of them. Maybe they have interest but they're not physically ready. Who knows. I figure that there's no harm in introducing it early.

good luck!
tristansmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #7
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD1 PLed around that age. At first she couldnt go when she sat, but she got it after a while. I think part of it is needing to "relax" while they sit.

When she finally did get it, she wanted to do it over and over again, and would get SO MAD when she ran out of pee and couldn't...
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
TwinMommaplus2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

All of our girls have been like this... the boys on the other hand not so much.

Its possible!! And that is a nice little blog!! Thanks for the link!
Motherhood is not a hobby, its a calling, you do not collect children because they are cuter than stamps, Its not something to do if you can squeeze the time in, its what god gave you time for. ~E. Anderson
TwinMommaplus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #9
darci
Registered Users
seller

It's not too early to start. I think for a while it will be like EC. Maybe for now use backup, and give her chances to use the potty when you know she has to go like after waking up and when she asks.
darci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

Elaine - Averie was potty trained by 18 months. At around 10-11 months we started with just sitting her on the potty at certain times of the day when you are most likely to catch a pee. Then once she realized she was actually peeing, she just took off! In undies all day by 18 months.

With Aiden, we did ECing from birth and while we caught all poops in the potty from about 6 months on, he wasn't full time in undies until around 23 months. He just took a little longer to care about being dry! LOL!

A good book is Diaper Free Before 3. It isn't ECing, and it isn't a fast potty training method, it is in between. They treat learning to use the potty like any other skill a baby/toddler learns. You start slowly and build on it - like learning to walk or learning to feed yourself. You don't wait until they are old enough to completely master the skill, but start early and let the child learn the skill at their pace. I really like it!