Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
PLing a boy at 16.5 months?

So my son for the past few weeks has been "telling" me that he went potty. He runs over to me and grabs the front of his diaper. Without fail, it's always wet. Well, today, he ran over to me and grabbed the front of the diaper and runs over to the toilet and tries to open the toilet lid (we had a lock on it so he couldn't). I checked his diaper and it was dry. I'm wondering if it is even possible at this age that he wants to start PLing. He's very curious about the toilet and what mommy and daddy do when they are in the bathroom, he's always barging in the bathroom when we are in there and wants to watch us (which my DH finds extrememly weird, but whatever, he's just a curious toddler).

I'm a FTM. I know nothing about this... anyone share some insight with me? Should I sit him on the potty?

This is really sad too.. I'm a cloth diaper addict! I have many OTW or ITW's too... oh and not to mention I own a cloth diaper store!

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
My 18 month old son does this too. We've just started putting him on the potty everytime we change a diaper. He doesn't go yet, but we'll keep trying. I'm gonna buy him a potty though for him to put in the downstairs.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
My 18 month old son does this too. We've just started putting him on the potty everytime we change a diaper. He doesn't go yet, but we'll keep trying. I'm gonna buy him a potty though for him to put in the downstairs.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: PLing a boy at 16.5 months?

My DD showed interest around that age so we started putting her on the potty, identifying wet/dry/poopy diapers, talking about other big kids who go on the potty etc. She's 21 months now and goes on the potty a few times a day. Still using diapers and hope to make the switch to underwear soon. Every dry diaper is one less to wash!
Greenwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #5
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

Good for him! Get him a potty and let him use it . Try him with the toilet too, why not??? I don't buy into the propaganda that kids aren't ready until 3 or later...
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #6
Kabuki24
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Well, I guess I'll report back after I sit him on the potty.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
blathnat
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My son is 16 months and started showing an interest in the potty/ not wanting to soil his diaper a couple months ago. We bought him a potty when he took off his diaper to poop on the floor... we also stopped using velco then too He knows the sign for potty and will occasionally let us know he wants to use it. I'll put him on it after most naps or when he is about to take a bath. I'm just trying to keep it fun and not expect to much from him.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #8
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

We do Elimination communication and my baby almost always poops on the potty and frequently pees. She's 8 months old. yesterday for the first time she did the cue sound for poop when she had to go.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
Greenbabybottoms
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 2nd was completely pl'd by 17 months. Around 15.5 months she started bringing me a new diaper right after hers was wet/poopy. At 16 months she started going in the bathroom and pitching a fit until I put her on the potty. I thought it was way to soon so for a week or so I kind of just rolled with it. Once I realized that she had insisted on going to the bathroom everytime she had to go for over a week I put her in panties and she hsa never looked back. In fact she is 3.5 now and I would say since she was 17 months old she has maybe had 3 accidents ever and 2 of those were right after she had fallen asleep and we were out of the house, she woke up and told me she needed to go but we just weren't near a bathroom. I say make a potty accessible to him and help him on it if he needs help and see what happens. All it took for us was getting her the little cheap Ikea potty chair and getting her panties that were a size or so too big so they were easier to pull up and down.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
nada87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Just try it. At 17 months my youngest told me she had to pee. I put her on the potty and she did it. We kept her in diapers and just took her potty when she asked. At 20 months we put her in undies. She just turned 2 and has maybe two accidents a week one of those being at night, the other is usually at Grandma's where she naps in a pack and play so she can't get herself to the potty.
I wish we would have tried harder from the get go at 17 months. She probably would have been trained sooner. But DS still was having potty issues so we concentrated on getting him trained first.

I FOUND MY RAINBOW, NOW I AM CHASING MY POT OF GOLD
nada87 is offline   Reply With Quote