Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:
Twin Throwing Food / Everything

I know all kids go through this stage but recently one of my twins has been driving me bonkers. If she doesn't like something she just throws it and lately that has been fruit and veggies. We have always given her a balanced diet focusing on veggies with occasional fruit and the rare cracker or piece of bread. All she wants now is crackers or other non-veggies like pasta, cheese and rice with beans. Luckily she is still breastfeeding so I know she is getting good nutrients that way. It just frustrates me because we eat so healthy but she is picking out all the good stuff and favoring the not so good.

Now all this being said I only have healthy crackers and breads in the house but still, I am worried she will become one of those kids who only eats two things or wants to carbo-load.

Has anyone else come across this situation? Right now I am on the fence about just removing all carbs from the house but I also want to teach her moderation...Why can't she just eat like my other twin? That girl will eat anything

Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Twin Throwing Food / Everything

Yep. My twins ate everything until about 18 months. Then one day they totally stopped. They'll barely eat anything other than bread, cheese and bananas. (It happened to both of mine at the same time).

I don't worry about carbs though -- we only do whole wheat, so the carbs aren't an issue to me. But the no fruits or veggies is. We still do cook whatever we want which is a wide variety, and if they eat absolutely nothing we slice up a banana for them or give them some kefir.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
cdeweese
Registered Users
Formerly: New cloth lover
seller
seller

My Mood:

Carbs are good for their little bodies, especially if they're having a growth spurt My DD went through this last year and has eaten fine until a week ago when she started asserting herself more. The food they eat is something they can control. Don't get into a power struggle with food. I say let her eat what she wants from whatever meal you serve. Don't go out of your way to make more carbs, but don't deny them (that makes them want it more). When she finishes her serving of carbs, she can eat whatever is left of her meal or not. When they are little, there is no teaching moderation or the like. They don't understand that yet. Dont worry, keep setting a good example and she'll be fine
Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks ladies, I know it is a normal stage most kiddos experience but it just makes me sad. There are SO many great foods in season right now

My hubby and I decided to limit carbs, give her two crackers and a bunch of berries then she can pick what she wants but no more crackers. I am glad I always have healthy carbs in the house, I am GF so our carbs are better for you then normal options.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #5
QMtwins
Registered Users

Best advice I ever heard was you can offer as much variety as you want and they get to decide what and how much of it to eat. We always give out girls (2yrs and 4 month) at least one thing we know they will eat at every meal/snack. Sometimes, that's the only thing they eat...other times they try the options. One of ours will love something and then refuse it, refuse it, refuse it and then gobble it down the next time. She's just not easy to predict. The other almost always eats anything you giver her!
We do almost all organics and whole foods too, so I'm not super worried. A toddler teacher once told me to think of thier intake over the course of the week instead of the day. Generally over the course of the day, they may miss servings of things but over the course of the week they get them all in.
QMtwins is offline   Reply With Quote