Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
MattiMaman
Registered Users
seller

Does anyone have a minimalist daily routine?

I have been following the FlyLady, bootcamp and 40-day threads. I am amazed at what some of you ladies accomplish in a day! I always feel like I am three steps behind...I get caught up one day just to get behind the next two.

Then I realized that I think I'm setting myself up for failure. I use a modified "Simple Mom" [great blog] daily docket. I have space for 10 to-do items plus a list of 10 daily cleaning upkeep chores (we are putting our house on the market Monday so I have to really focus on keeping it tip-top). Well, add in fixing 3 meals and one snack a day, plus getting myself and the baby ready morning and night, naptime routing and taking care of the dogs-that's 30 things, everyday. If I'm up 7:30 am to 10:30 pm, that's 2 an hour with no playtime with little man and no downtime for mommy.

Of course, some things take 5 minutes, but some take two hours (like Storytime, or going to the pool).

This has turned in to a novel...I just don't know if I decide the next few months of trying to sell the house are going to be really hard and push forward OR I try to figure out what I can cut/simplify.

How do you have a minimalist daily routine?

Advertisement

MattiMaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #2
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Does anyone have a minimalist daily routine?

Just do it. Don't plan it.
If you MUST have something, check out www.messies.com and look into getting the Flipper. Buy it dont try to make it.
This gets your house done and you off the internet--- which is such a black hole for distractables like us.

Sandra Felton was the inspiration for FlyLady. She is the original Messie gone clean.

And it is minimalist. It is simple and not a lot of take two steps hit the timer etc.
Numommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

And one other thing I like, which is a bit weird....and it is an example of buying something to get rid of 10.

I bought my children the Accountable Kids sets, and in the process of teaching them to use theirs, I bought me one.

Heck it is awesome!

I have to flip my card for getting dressed, doing laundry, putting things away. And I get stickers and Mommy dates too! Baa Haa! When I get a card filled, husband watches the kids and I go ..... anywhere....somewhere......alone.

And the kits are on sale, (or were) for 20$ as seconds, and there is a an upcoming Co-op this month.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
MattiMaman
Registered Users
seller

Numommy, I will check those out. I guess I just want to be able to do 5 things in the am, at nap and at night and be free to enjoy time with my son during the day. Maybe that will be possible at some point-perhaps when the house is on the market is not the time to expect things to get easier.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:01 PM   #5
Numommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiMaman View Post
Numommy, I will check those out. I guess I just want to be able to do 5 things in the am, at nap and at night and be free to enjoy time with my son during the day. Maybe that will be possible at some point-perhaps when the house is on the market is not the time to expect things to get easier.
Bless your soul.

Our house is on the market.

It sucks.

In my world that would never happen.

I clean for about an hour before the crew gets up. Windows, toys, whatever my hands come to.
Heres my things, if I plan it, I DONT DO IT. The fun is gone in the planning. If I just decide to do it, and not stop, well it gets done.
My children "help" and we have a good time.
Breakfast and dishes, kitchen and laundry. Floors, tables, and layout prep supper.
Start kids on crafts or schoolwork.
Do bills.
Start my schoolwork.
Then we play and have lunch. Nap. Up and go do our errands or pool or whatever. Then its home, clean, laundry, baths, supper.
Tables, floors, counters, dishes.
More of my school work after kids in bed.

I rarely get to the declutter time. I do it as I go, if I am not using it I chunk it.

I do recommend the Mt. Vernon method and then it gets a lot easier.

There is also a book called, "The house that cleans itself" It helped me with setting up my home to avoid the messes.

Trust me when I say, no matter how bad of a housekeeper anyone is on here, I have been worse at one point or another.

It took me leaving DS and turning the internet OFF, among many other things, to get to where I am now. I almost joined Sara in the voluntary ban on my membership here.

Mainly a patient husband that told me our children would be just like I was if I did not improve.

Above all, I think, is not to get too caught up in it that you miss your children. Dust bunnies will keep, your children will NOT. But a messy home was bad for my family.
It took me finding a balance.

Last edited by Numommy; 07-04-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have what I consider to be a pretty minimal routine.

Every morning I make the bed, empty the dishwasher, and then refill with breakfast dishes (and make sure the kitchen's clean after breakfast). Most days I also start a load of laundry in the morning.

Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I also do a wipe-down of the bathroom (quick spray of the sinks/counter, swish the toilet and wipe it down). I put out fresh hand towels in the bathroom and kitchen. These are also my diaper laundry days.

Every evening, after my son is asleep, I make sure everything is clean from dinner, I run the dishwasher, wipe down the kitchen sink/counters, and do a quick tidying of the main area of our house (living room and dining room... so toys put away, nothing left out, etc.). I like to go to bed with a pretty clean house so I can start each day fresh.

Then, I just do little things throughout the day. I write them down ahead of time, and plan out most of my week on Sunday nights. I write down when I'm going to do laundry, and the type of laundry I'm going to do. I write down when I'd like to vacuum, or mop, or wash windows, or go shopping, or whatever. I also write down areas I'd like to purge each day (I am active in the "Mini Minimalist Challenge" threads).

Ever since having this routine, and decluttering our home, it's been really easy to maintain our house. I just do little things throughout the day, but have a lot of time with my son. By staying on top of it, the house doesn't ever need hours and hours of cleaning.

Running the dishwasher in the evening, and then emptying it in the morning, is really helpful for keeping our kitchen under control... because then all day long I just put all the dirty dishes we use directly into the dishwasher. So they don't have time to pile up, the kitchen stays tidy, and I can just wipe down messes as they occur.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?

Last edited by wordbox; 07-04-2012 at 04:12 PM.
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, and another thing that I find helps me a lot... I keep a planner, and I write down everything in it. I use an Erin Condren planner, which I love, but anything with plenty of space will work fine. I use it to keep track of everything. It has the big stuff (weddings, parties, birthdays, etc.), appointments, errands, bill paying deadlines, etc. but I also write down all of my daily goals for the house. I absolutely LOVE crossing things off every day, and it keeps me on track. I've always been a planner and list maker, so this helps me a lot.

My planner breaks it down into three sections for each day: morning, day, night.

An example of what a day might look like...

Monday
morning
* make the bed
* wipe down the bathroom
* fresh hand towels
* laundry: diapers
* dishwasher

day
* laundry: clothes
* vacuum 1st floor
* purge: laundry room
* go to Target
* make student loan payments
* tidy entryway

night
* dishwasher
* kitchen clean-up
* final tidying

Of course, I still do little things here and there without scheduling them in. I'll tidy up my son's room while I put away laundry, we pick up toys throughout the day, etc. If I didn't get around to doing something, I usually just add it to the next day's list.

2,014 items in 2014?
Old 07-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
redbirdlady
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I keep a running to-do list in a little spiral notebook for stuff that's not daily routine. I have to keep that separate from my normal stuff.

I personally don't consider things like making meals and snacks, naptime routines, etc. stuff that would land on a "things to do" list.

For us, our normal routine looks something like this:
- Wake up/breakfast/brush teeth/get dressed
- Let chickens and ducks out, feed and water
- Walk around garden, pick what needs to be picked
- Start laundry if there is laundry to be done
- Morning homeschooling for older two while baby is napping. DD does the same things during the morning for homeschooling - spelling, reading journal, writing journal - on her own, before she gets some 1-on-1 instruction from me on a different subject a day. I usually try to get DS going on something independent, at least for a little while, so I can hang laundry, clean something, research other homeschooling stuff, etc.
- Lunch

I don't write any of that down, I just know that's what we do every day.

In the afternoons, things are a little bit looser. We do some homeschooling in the afternoon, I'll do some cleaning, blogging, crafts, we'll play, head out to the garden, etc. Rainy days might be spent doing art projects or lots of reading, sunny (not so stifling hot) days might be spent entirely outside. If I need to run errands, go grocery shopping, doctor's appointments, etc., I try to do them in the afternoon. If we can make it to lunch and be "on schedule", I consider that a good day.

At night, all we have to do is lock up the chickens and ducks and DH and I take turns running on the treadmill downstairs and taking showers. Sometimes we'll work in the garden together or play a board game, but he has a pretty stressful job, so I try not to make him "do" anything after he gets home so he can relax.

DH does 90% of the dishes because I LOATHE doing dishes and putting them away, so he loads the dishwasher at night, we run it overnight and leave it open at night to dry and then he puts everything away in the morning. Because he does that, I try to handle the rest of the cleaning.

I try to do a thorough clean of one room (or one category of rooms, i.e. the bathrooms) a day. So, for instance, on Mondays I attack the kitchen, Tuesdays are bathrooms, Wednesdays we do the master bedroom and the kids work on their rooms, Thursdays are for the living room, etc. I realize that won't work for you if your house is on the market, but that's how I do my cleaning (other than just normal everyday picking up.)

I try to keep major projects like cleaning out closets, major decluttering, or major house projects for the weekends.

We do our best to keep up with it, but it doesn't always work out that way, and (barring having a house on the market), it works for us. Our house could definitely be cleaner and more tidy, but given the choice between putting laundry away or playing hopscotch outside with the kids, I'm outside with the kids.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
MattiMaman
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all of the input so far. I love seeing how others manage their homes.

I've just recently (last month or so) gone from a constantly messy at least somewhere in the house to a moderately neat, somewhat company-worthy house. I've purged over 2500 things this year, if that gives you an idea.

I think I'm just overwhelmed by the idea of having to keep a constantly perfect house. I'm trying to assess what must be done daily to allow for speed-cleaning in the event of a showing. I'm also going to limit my to-do list to things that can happen during nap time, since I'll be cleaning in the morning and after bed. Three more days to declutter the nagging hot spots so I can get a daily routine rolling!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

^ Good luck! Isn't it amazing how much decluttering helps?

I am finally at a place where I am comfortable with people dropping by unexpectedly. Well, I still hate when people do that, but what I mean is that usually any messes are just the result of daily living... toys out, something I'm working on in the dining room, needing to put dishes in the dishwasher. Stuff like that. It's a huge relief, because I used to get pretty bad anxiety about getting ready for company to come over, or would have to do some crazy last-minute cleaning if I knew someone was dropping by.

I've dropped the perfection as a result, though, which has been unexpected. I used to want my house perfect at all times, but now that it's easy to maintain, I'm okay with little messes here and there. I still like order, and now that I'm used to clean counters it bothers me if they are messy. But I don't need perfection. I'm also realizing that people don't care if you need to vacuum, and that it's more important to play with kids than scour the house from top to bottom. A reasonable routine is enough to keep the house ready for company, but still feel lived in. I don't want a sterile environment. I want a comfortable, tidy, safe environment where my kids will feel like themselves and guests feel welcome. In the future, I want our kids to feel confident to bring friends over... which means they are free of both extremes: not being embarrassed by a disaster of a house, but also not feeling like they'll get in trouble if they make a little mess while playing. We're a few years away from that, but I figure the more it becomes a way of life, the better.

I hope you are able to find a good balance, and a routine that works for you. Please don't expect a perfect house. It isn't practical, it isn't a reasonable expectation of yourself, and you'll set yourself up to fail.

2,014 items in 2014?

Last edited by wordbox; 07-06-2012 at 03:58 PM.