Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Article about simplicity parenting

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kim-jo...b_1833632.html

I didn't think it was well-written but it does have some decent points. Oh, it's not about the book, just the simplicity parenting movement in general.

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:
I liked it. Maybe I should send it to all of our family.

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Re: Article about simplicity parenting

I thought it was a great article. It makes me sad when I hear parents talking about their kids going to a different activity every night of the week. Just let your kid be a kid!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
Fashionably Green Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: artistmom
seller

My Mood:

I was "run ragged" as a kid and my husband always says he can't imagine me running or jumping or anything like that (that makes me sound incredibly lazy...but that isn't what he means) and I always reply with "my mom never let me sit down so now that I am an adult I am gonna sit". Really though I was in gymnastics, cheerleading, color guard, winter guard etc. I can run, jump, tumble, vault, etc etc etc but I DON'T WANT TO!!! My mom was convinced that if she kept us in endless activities it would keep us from doing drugs WHICH, I think it probably good for some kids but I was not into drugs or drinking and I just wanted to work on building sets and doing my art. I think an idle mind is dangerous but I don't think doing art is having an idle mind, just a bit of an idle body sometimes

Swag with me! 10% off at my HC store with code: diaperswappers
Fashionably Green Baby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
wordbox
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it's about moderation. I do think kids are overscheduled. They need more time to just play and be outside and not be carted from one thing to the next.

That said, I think it's good to expose them to some things and hope they find something to be passionate about it. I loved horses as a kid. I begged to go to the barn every day. I would have happily spent every spare second of my youth (from age 9 on) at the stable. I loved riding, I loved grooming, I loved doing anything that involved horse care and learning about them. I hated that I couldn't go there every day.

But, if my parents had said no, you can do this one day a week but you have to play basketball and take piano and do karate also, I would have been miserable!

I want to provide opportunities for our kids to try out new things, but find that balance of not doing too much. At the same time, if they are truly passionate about something, I want to support that (whether it be a sport, or art, or music, or whatever).

Another thing about the simplicity parenting idea that I have found is that I am realizing how much some toys rob our children of thinking and being creative. I've noticed that when my son will play with a toy car, for example. I love listening to him make different car noises and move the car around with his hands while crawling around on the ground... but, if you give him a battery-powered car that makes its own noises and runs on its own, he doesn't have to be the brains behind the operation. It will just do it for him. That is what has motivated me to keep his toys more basic, and to try to avoid as many plasticy battery-operated toys as possible.

I purged 2,920 items in 2012 and 2,014 items in 2013.
2,014 items in 2014?

Last edited by wordbox; 09-06-2012 at 02:55 PM.
wordbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:

It's definitely about moderation. Ia gree with the article and all the PPs. I remember just a week ago we were at a friend's house and my 3.5 year old found a battery operated horse. She pressed the button, it walked over to me, I turned it around and it walked back. We did that for at least 5 minutes. Great interaction with my child, huh? We got home, we got out her animal figurines, and she jumped around the playroom making it walk, snort, neigh, play, bounce, etc. It's amazing how the simpler the toy the more inventive the play.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #7
chandlrb
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for the link. I think it is a good article.
chandlrb is offline   Reply With Quote