Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
In home daycare w/ a newborn?

I really want to provide care for a child in my home to help with bills and make things a little easier while I sah. But my son is "only" 2mos and my first child, I'm still struggling with him quite a bit. He fusses around the clock and needs to be held constantly or you'd think the world was ending. I can't imagine caring for another LO at the same time.

Sorry for being so rambly, I guess I'm just wondering if anyone here is a dcp with their own LOs at home, how did you manage? Were your babes just less needy than mine?

Sent from my Galaxy S III using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaGM
I really want to provide care for a child in my home to help with bills and make things a little easier while I sah. But my son is "only" 2mos and my first child, I'm still struggling with him quite a bit. He fusses around the clock and needs to be held constantly or you'd think the world was ending. I can't imagine caring for another LO at the same time.

Sorry for being so rambly, I guess I'm just wondering if anyone here is a dcp with their own LOs at home, how did you manage? Were your babes just less needy than mine?

Mama, I can't help with your question, but I wanted to know if you have a sling for your little one?? They make life soo much easier for the itty bittis who just want to snuggle 24/7.

......you should see what my posts look like BEFORE auto correct.
theonenonlymrssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #3
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I think
May e you should give yourself a couple more months. Around 4 months things get a bit easier with your first. It's a learning curve. Then re-evaluate. You really need to be able to give both babies what they need.. And juggling both might be more than you bargained for.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonenonlymrssmith

Mama, I can't help with your question, but I wanted to know if you have a sling for your little one?? They make life soo much easier for the itty bittis who just want to snuggle 24/7.

I am hesitant to buy one because money is so tight and I'm not sure it would work. Sometimes he cries whether I'm holding him or not. Would you recommend the moby wrap?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #5
EmmaGM
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981
I think
May e you should give yourself a couple more months. Around 4 months things get a bit easier with your first. It's a learning curve. Then re-evaluate. You really need to be able to give both babies what they need.. And juggling both might be more than you bargained for.
I'm definitely not ready. I just thought I would be by this time and I don't understand why I can't cope when everyone else seems to be just fine. I think about single mothers and military wives, how much harder they have it, and I feel like the worlds biggest failure.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lol. Even military moms have adjustments. I'm one! My first was a screamer. Cried all the time. All the time.

I survived. You will too. I suggest you consider daycare once your LO is easier and you are rested.

I take in newborns and have two young children (I started when my little one was 18 months I think.) and it was great!!! My other son was 3. Just be honest with where you are emotionally.

You are not s failure. I think it takes a good 4 months for anyone to adjust. We just hide it well in public and to friends. Lol
Old 08-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #7
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Quote:

I am hesitant to buy one because money is so tight and I'm not sure it would work. Sometimes he cries whether I'm holding him or not. Would you recommend the moby wrap?

Do you sew at all? Or know someone who does? You can make a ring sling for under $20 and under an hour. Lots of mamas love moby wraps, but I've never used a stretchy wrap. I have a woven, but I honestly find them hot and complicated. Ring slings are great for itty bittis, and easy to use. Easy to nurse in. Babies love it because it's tight and secure like being swaddled, plus keeps them close to mamas heart. You can also make a rebozo ( a short wrap) and all you would need to do is cut/overlock the fabric edges. Please pm me if you want anymore info. Baby wearing is such a beneficial thing for mama and baby, and really does help with the fussy ones.

This is a great story about what an irreplaceable thing it can be. http://fiercemamas.blogspot.com/2009...g-my-baby.html (don't read that post unless you are prepaired to cry!)

If you don't sew I would still reccommend a ring sling over a moby. You can find them used on craigslist most of the time!

Last edited by theonenonlymrssmith; 08-03-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
jessnic
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:

I'm definitely not ready. I just thought I would be by this time and I don't understand why I can't cope when everyone else seems to be just fine. I think about single mothers and military wives, how much harder they have it, and I feel like the worlds biggest failure.

As a military wife I can say my baby boy lived in his ergo and gemini a lot. DH was working 16 hour days and never home. We struggled until about 9 months. I would wait until you get to a better place with your little one. Could you try to borrow or rent a carrier to see how that helps?

On my smart phone which is clearly not as smart as it seems to believe
Old 08-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: In home daycare w/ a newborn?

My kiddos all lived in carriers. For the newborn/itty phase, I love my Gemini. Tummy to tummy helps with gas. It is a godsend. However, I HATED ring slings, pouch slings, and the Moby.

If baby is seriously that fussy...have you talked to your ped about silent reflux? Prilosec/prevacid saved my sanity with DD. We figured out that DS was aspirating slightly at 4 months, which is what made him scream. Zantac did nothing for either child. I would start talking to your ped. Crying all the time is not good for baby or mommy!
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 08-04-2012 at 10:36 AM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:50 AM   #10
theonenonlymrssmith
Poet Laureate

Both my babies who cried all the time ended up diagnosed with food allergies. You may look into that!