Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:47 PM   #1
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ideas to protect children from in-laws koid pond, etc

What things are there to protect children from water?

My in laws built a huge house and dug a pond behind it that is at the bottom of a semi steep hill. It always made me really nervous with kids but then they added a koi pond which kills my nerves every time we are there. They feed the fish regularly with the girls (ages 1.5 and 3.5) so it's the first place they want to go when they are outside. You cannot see the koi pond from any windows in the house and his parents often just take one or both of the girls outside for long periods of time for walks, etc. without telling us what they are doing. My biggest concern is when I'm nursing one or putting down for a nap the things that could happen. I think any time I can go outside when they are out there I just need to go out there to sit because already once they lost track of the 3 year old both thinking she was with the other when she actually near the pond.

Anyway, they are the total opposite of me, which isn't always a bad thing but they think bad things never happen and are certainly not worried about any accidents at the pond. (They told me this weekend they wanted to get a 4 wheeler or golf cart to pull around the girls on a sled when in snows. )

So, are there any tips, tools, temporary gates, non visible wires, etc that could make this safer.

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
hailey1312
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ideas to protect children from in-laws koid pond, etc

I would make the rule that the little ones are not allowed outside alone, at all. And if the in-laws want to take them out, they need to let you know before doing so, so you know where your little ones are. It would be the same as having a pool without a gate. Constant supervision would be a must. Otherwise there needs to be a gate around the pond.
hailey1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #3
nicolemariep
Registered Users
seller

We have a pond and our deterrent is supervision. We warn parents when they bring their kids over and we watch it like a hawk. I don't think there is any way to make a body of water kid-proof. Kids can climb most fences, etc.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursenmom
What things are there to protect children from water?

My in laws built a huge house and dug a pond behind it that is at the bottom of a semi steep hill. It always made me really nervous with kids but then they added a koi pond which kills my nerves every time we are there. They feed the fish regularly with the girls (ages 1.5 and 3.5) so it's the first place they want to go when they are outside. You cannot see the koi pond from any windows in the house and his parents often just take one or both of the girls outside for long periods of time for walks, etc. without telling us what they are doing. My biggest concern is when I'm nursing one or putting down for a nap the things that could happen. I think any time I can go outside when they are out there I just need to go out there to sit because already once they lost track of the 3 year old both thinking she was with the other when she actually near the pond.

Anyway, they are the total opposite of me, which isn't always a bad thing but they think bad things never happen and are certainly not worried about any accidents at the pond. (They told me this weekend they wanted to get a 4 wheeler or golf cart to pull around the girls on a sled when in snows. )

So, are there any tips, tools, temporary gates, non visible wires, etc that could make this safer.
Eh. I see no problem with an almost 4 yr old knowing not to go near the pond, but certainly not a 1.5 yr old.
Why, can't you tell your inlaws how you feel?
I think sledding sounds fun..lol i'd do it.
My 1.5 yr old has a 4 wheeler, non motorized, he rides it up and down their ramp outside and falls repeatedly but he loves the dang thing, I let him get hurt.
But then again, I trust my in laws and I have boys.

Last edited by babylove921; 08-04-2012 at 12:55 AM.
babylove921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My parents have a koi pond but no hill. There is a bridge over it, so I've always watched her like a hawk when she's on the bridge. My daughter loves to feed the fish, ever since she could walk it has been her favorite thing to do.

Personally I don't worry about her when she's under my parents' supervision, because I trust them. If you don't trust them, or they won't be as careful as you would, either make it clear that you want them watched better, or don't leave your kids with them.
And as for the sledding; it sounds like something that my parents did with us when we were kids! Most of us grew up surviving a lot more crazy things than parents dish out these days, lol.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
Nerissa
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The 4 year old i wouldn't worry about as much but still supervision outside is a must. Always an adult outside with them. Like others I trust my parents and IL's so it wouldntl bother me at all. As for one of them loosing track of the 3 year old--that could happen to anyone. It has happened to me and DH, to me and my mom.

As for the 4 wheeler and sled--that sounds like tons of fun and totally something my parents would do. I would be completely fine with it.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
firstimemommy44
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If they aren't watching the kids properly then don't leave them there. If only treaties a few seconds for something to happen and supervision is a must around water. And I agree with you on the sledding also....not behind anything with a motor.

My swagbucks http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/ellen44
firstimemommy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailey1312 View Post
I would make the rule that the little ones are not allowed outside alone, at all. And if the in-laws want to take them out, they need to let you know before doing so, so you know where your little ones are. It would be the same as having a pool without a gate. Constant supervision would be a must. Otherwise there needs to be a gate around the pond.
yep. if they arent willing to put up a fence then the kids need to be supervised
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #9
mama2jack
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yep, my answer is supervision as well. We live on a lake and our neighbors have an unfenced pool. The boys must be within sight at all times. They are 2 and 5. I am sorry you feel you cannot trust your inlaws. That has got to be stressful.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Happy Mommax4
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I feel so strongly about this, my three yr old came w/in seconds of drowning in my ILs pool. Like a true silent drowning.

Go w your gut, stand up for your kids if you feel it's not rt then don't let it happen and don't let anyone minimize your thoughts/feelings, call u crazy etc

Make strict rules for supervision and enforce them, sounds like you're gonna be spending alotta x outside!!!