Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Ideas to protect children from in-laws koid pond, etc

My house had one and I took it out. It is so dangerous. I think they should put a fence around it. No matter what, someone needs to have eyes on both of them the entire time they are outside. Really inside also as they could get out.

A child is most at risk 'when everyone is watching'. That really means that each person is assuming that the other people are covering the children.

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #12
hailey1312
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post
My house had one and I took it out. It is so dangerous. I think they should put a fence around it. No matter what, someone needs to have eyes on both of them the entire time they are outside. Really inside also as they could get out.

A child is most at risk 'when everyone is watching'. That really means that each person is assuming that the other people are covering the children.
THIS!!!

The next best thing you can do is enroll your children in ISR swim classes for infants/children. It teaches them to roll over and float on their back in the case that they would fall into water. It has saved many lives. This would be a MUST for me if my daughter was going to be near water at all without me around. We are never around water and when we are, I am RIGHT there with her. It only takes a second for a little one to fall in and drowning can be very silent. You are right to be worried. I would talk to your in-laws and see if a fence with a gate could be installed. And I would look into ISR. If you don't know what it is google it or look it up on youtube.
hailey1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumkinsmommy View Post

This is my biggest concern. I never ever let them out of my sight when we are outside, the problem is they end up out there with the in-laws without asking and I don't feel like I should follow them around all the time but I suppose that's probably my best option. They really don't understand the risk
Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #14
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailey1312 View Post
THIS!!!

The next best thing you can do is enroll your children in ISR swim classes for infants/children. It teaches them to roll over and float on their back in the case that they would fall into water. It has saved many lives. This would be a MUST for me if my daughter was going to be near water at all without me around. We are never around water and when we are, I am RIGHT there with her. It only takes a second for a little one to fall in and drowning can be very silent. You are right to be worried. I would talk to your in-laws and see if a fence with a gate could be installed. And I would look into ISR. If you don't know what it is google it or look it up on youtube.
My oldest is in swim lessons right now and I looked the ISR swim lessons when my youngest was born but sadly we don't have any around my area. I even looked into becoming certified but it costs $10,000 and 6 weeks of training.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

As long as that water is there, you have to follow them. Your in laws put the pond in not understanding the danger so you can't count on them to watch the children as necessary.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:08 AM   #16
aries416
Registered Users
seller

Ditto everyone else, just follow them around and supervise. My parents' house in AZ (we just moved) had a pool and a pond that were unfenced. The kids were never, ever outside alone. The doors had handles that were 5 feet high so my kids couldn't let themselves out. I honestly didn't worry about it much because I knew that I would be in charge of watching them or I would ask DH to. We always said out loud, "I am watching the kids." or "You are watching the kids." There was never any doubt as to who's job it was that day.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #17
Palooka
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
seller

My Mood:

What about a grandparent-leash? It's less about the kids running off and more about forcing the grandparents to maintain a safe proximity to the kids.

Can you find a cheap backpack with leash for the kids (or maybe just the littlest one?), and make sure the strap will go around the grandparent's wrist? The new rule is that if the kids are out with grandma or grandpa they need to be wearing their pack and the leash MUST be around an adult's wrist. I'd put some koi food in the pack as an incentive for the kids, and tell the grandparents that if you see them without the leash around their wrist you are taking the kids back inside, no questions asked.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #18
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

Personally, I would just let them go to the pond and watch them closely. If they fall in, pull them out, and hope they learn from that. Never leave them alone out there.

They shouldn't be afraid of the pond, and should be allowed to be there as much as they want within reason... if you can be out there too, great, if you are busy, they need to be inside. (it is very cool, and any kid would love it) but, they should be taught to "respect the fish". You don't have to say "If you fall in, you will drown" tell them "We must be gentle with the fish, that's why we don't get in the water with them".

Kids rarely think something bad will happen to them. They will often ignore warnings for their own safety, because they think "I KNOW MOM...I'm not going to fall in".
Old 08-05-2012, 12:17 PM   #19
TaraB
Registered Users
seller
seller

my parents pond is fenced. however my dad would never let my ds's on the dock or past the fence without him right there. they feed the fish regularly but only with someone right there. Ok lets rephrase this ds1 feeds the fish ds2 is 9 months old and watches. hehe hed eat the fish food if he had a chance.
Tara~Married to my wonderful DH and mama to my DS#1 4 years old and DS#2 2 years old
TaraB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #20
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage
Personally, I would just let them go to the pond and watch them closely. If they fall in, pull them out, and hope they learn from that. Never leave them alone out there.

They shouldn't be afraid of the pond, and should be allowed to be there as much as they want within reason... if you can be out there too, great, if you are busy, they need to be inside. (it is very cool, and any kid would love it) but, they should be taught to "respect the fish". You don't have to say "If you fall in, you will drown" tell them "We must be gentle with the fish, that's why we don't get in the water with them".

Kids rarely think something bad will happen to them. They will often ignore warnings for their own safety, because they think "I KNOW MOM...I'm not going to fall in".