Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Maternity insurance coverage...

Not sure if this is the right forum to use...sorry.

I'm just wondering what you ladies do as far as insurance. Actually, I'm wondering how anyone affords to have a baby! lol. I was on Medicaid with DD, but we may be over the income limit this time. DH is an auto technician so his pay is purely performance based. But assuming it continues as it is, we will make just barely too much to qualify for Medicaid. His employer does not provide insurance, we have private insurance through Regence Blue Shield of Idaho. They require a $7500 maternity deductible...there's no better option, I called to check. You can get plans with lower medical deductibles but every plan has a separate $7500 maternity deductible. After that is met, they pay 70%. I remember DD's hospital bill was about $10K. I have no idea what my prenatal care amounted to. This just seems ridiculous! There has got to be something I'm missing. Or are we just doomed to make medical payments for a few years? Ugh. Why does birthing a baby have to be sooo expensive?

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
dancingingrace
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Maternity insurance coverage...

I hear you, mama! We've been very blessed so far to always have something "work out" when a pregnancy strikes, lol. Our first 2, DH had group insurance through his employer. Our 3rd, DH did have group through his employer, but he was in the process of switching to a new company when we found out I was pregnant, and the new company didn't offer insurance, but he REALLY wanted to take the job. So, even though this isn't ideal, I made up my mind to find a job that weekend that I could get insurance through. I got hired at a drugstore, and it wasn't that I made a ton of money (even though it was a little extra), but I did have insurance to cover my pregnancy. I didn't go back for even one day after I had the baby, I went right back to being a SAHM. Kind of a PITB, but it sure did save us a ton of money. This time, I'm covered by COBRA, which has a high monthly premium, but covers everything 100%, and I plan on dropping it once I have the baby. DH has group insurance with his current job, so I could go on there later if I wanted, but it isn't really cheap either, so I'm going to have to check around and see what I can come up with for next time (hopefully there's a next time!). I know it might take a little figuring out if you are a SAHM with a LO already, but maybe you could consider getting a job like I did, just for the insurance until you have the baby. Paying a couple hundred, at most, sure beats several thousands in med bills. Also, the good thing with group insurance is that it will cover you even if you're already pregnant, unlike individual policies. Good luck!
dancingingrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingingrace View Post
I hear you, mama! We've been very blessed so far to always have something "work out" when a pregnancy strikes, lol. Our first 2, DH had group insurance through his employer. Our 3rd, DH did have group through his employer, but he was in the process of switching to a new company when we found out I was pregnant, and the new company didn't offer insurance, but he REALLY wanted to take the job. So, even though this isn't ideal, I made up my mind to find a job that weekend that I could get insurance through. I got hired at a drugstore, and it wasn't that I made a ton of money (even though it was a little extra), but I did have insurance to cover my pregnancy. I didn't go back for even one day after I had the baby, I went right back to being a SAHM. Kind of a PITB, but it sure did save us a ton of money. This time, I'm covered by COBRA, which has a high monthly premium, but covers everything 100%, and I plan on dropping it once I have the baby. DH has group insurance with his current job, so I could go on there later if I wanted, but it isn't really cheap either, so I'm going to have to check around and see what I can come up with for next time (hopefully there's a next time!). I know it might take a little figuring out if you are a SAHM with a LO already, but maybe you could consider getting a job like I did, just for the insurance until you have the baby. Paying a couple hundred, at most, sure beats several thousands in med bills. Also, the good thing with group insurance is that it will cover you even if you're already pregnant, unlike individual policies. Good luck!
That is a great thought! Don't know why it didn't cross my mind. Did you work full-time, or did they offer insurance for part-time?

We are actually considering moving in Sept/Oct for a different job for DH, and I think they do offer insurance. I'll have him find out if I'd be included on it. That would be a big incentive to move!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
happymama1
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

my friend had her baby at a birth center with midwife and it only cost her 1500 or so
happymama1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:02 PM   #5
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by happymama1 View Post
my friend had her baby at a birth center with midwife and it only cost her 1500 or so
That's awesome! I did have a CNM with DD and would like one again, but I hemorrhaged and nearly needed a blood transfusion, so I'm definitely sticking with a hospital birth.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:58 AM   #6
susan.gidman
Registered Users

The expenses incurred during pregnancy and delivery can be covered well if you had maternity insurance. Normally general health insurance does not cover pregnancy care.

Before taking maternity insurance;

Ensure the pre-authorization procedure required for your maternity care?

Contact the insurance company either before admitting or after admitted to the hospital for delivery. This is a mandatory procedure that the insurance companies insisting.

Ensure the requirement of certificate from nurse / midwife. What are the procedures to follow if baby delivered at home?

Maternity coverage help covers medical expenses associated with pregnancy and delivery.
susan.gidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
gingerpeachee
Registered Users
seller

The max income for Medicaid is much higher for pregnant women.... Are you sure you don't qualify? They may be able to help you find low cost healthcare.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
mamatoclaire
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerpeachee
The max income for Medicaid is much higher for pregnant women.... Are you sure you don't qualify? They may be able to help you find low cost healthcare.
Yep, we were students when I was pg with dd and now our income will probably be too high. DH's pay is all performance based so that makes it hard. Good news is he's starting a new job in September. They don't have group insurance, but I'll be able to get Aflac through them. I had Aflac with DD too but they've since changed and you have to sign up through an employer. They paid $3500, so that will help out.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Old 07-31-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
lizgrace07
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoclaire

That's awesome! I did have a CNM with DD and would like one again, but I hemorrhaged and nearly needed a blood transfusion, so I'm definitely sticking with a hospital birth.
Check with your midwifes and local birth center. A good midwife is prepared and able to handle bleeding in every way that a doctor can, unless surgery is required. Often midwives are actually much better in these cases because they stay with you and can notice a problem sooner, before it's too late. I hemorrhaged as well and it's actually because of that that I would always go with a well trained, experienced midwife. I feel I am actually safer in their care incase it were to happen again. Of course, a good midwife also knows when it's time to transfer before it's too late. But i think they would catch it sooner and treat you before that became necessary most of the time. VAnyway, good luck!
Old 08-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
cristy_1996
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hmm...I heard somewhere that any pregnant woman, married or not, can get medicaid. Not sure if that is true or not though.

We had 100% coverage with DS1 and DS2. This time we do have a 20% co insurance after our deductible and even that little 20% is a lot.

http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/CristyGriffith
cristy_1996 is offline   Reply With Quote