View Poll Results: Wine during pregnancy?
Avoid all types of alcohol/liquor/wine/beer during pregnancy. 38 43.18%
Drink a glass or Less of wine a day during preg. 3 3.41%
Drink a glass or More of wine a day during preg. 0 0%
Drink a glass or Less of wine every once in awhile during preg. 43 48.86%
Drink a glass or More of wine every once in awhile during preg. 1 1.14%
Prefer other alcoholic drink during pregnancy. 1 1.14%
Other. 2 2.27%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #21
dmj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Wine during pregnancy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabritt View Post
I drink nothing alcoholic and I avoid most caffeine.
Me too. They don't know what amount of alcohol is safe or if it is safe during a specific trimester. I figure it is better to avoid it. If something goes wrong I want to know I did everything I could to ensure a healthy baby. I would have too much guilt if something went wrong.

Advertisement

dmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #22
mommabritt
Registered Users
seller

Location: Currently MO; but wherever the Marines send us. SoCal at heart.
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmj

Me too. They don't know what amount of alcohol is safe or if it is safe during a specific trimester. I figure it is better to avoid it. If something goes wrong I want to know I did everything I could to ensure a healthy baby. I would have too much guilt if something went wrong.
This is exactly my thought exactly. I don't drink when not pregnant or nursing either but Dh won't even drive after ONE beer. We just think, if you don't HAVE to, why take the risk.

***IDSO Salt Water Sandals- White, Toddler 7***
mommabritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #23
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLeeCW View Post
I answered other because I would drink an occasional glass of wine during pregnancy, except my body cannot handle it. Except for really mild fruity whites, the smells and tastes instantly turn my stomach. I was celebrating Passover with the ILs and I thought I'd get away with the small glasses of red for prayers. I literally had to run from the table to the bathroom. So embarrassing!

I remember when I was pregnant with DS, we were visiting my ILs and DH and I were going to surprise the ILs with dinner. I'm the cook, DH was just helping me. We were cooking with red wine making a marinade for beef and I actually had to go to the other room because of the strong smell. I was 6 months at the time so past the crazy morning sickness stage. I had to yell the directions from the other room and anytime I got too close to the kitchen or the smell wafted I had to run to the bathroom.

An occasional glass of wine, particularly in the latter half of pregnancy, will not harm your baby. In European countries it is fairly common to see ladies having a glass with their meal and most people don't even notice.
I had the same issue during my last pregnancy. My DH had gotten a bottle of wine and I wanted some sips. That did not go well:/
mommycass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:20 PM   #24
brookglen
Registered Users

I have a glass of wine periodically throughout pregnancy. I had one last night at my husbands birthday dinner.

I will also have some wine or a cocktail while nursing. I only ever felt I'd had too much once or twice while nursing my daughter and at that point I simply went to the freezer and made a bottle for her. No biggie.
brookglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #25
NappyChappy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't really drink anymore not that I was a big drinker before. But with DS I had a glass of wine with dinner a few times during my pregnancy.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1454524
NappyChappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:29 PM   #26
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516 View Post
I drank sometimes in both pregnancies. Generally after the first trimester and never more than a glass of wine or beer.
I'm fairly certain that there are NO proven risks to drinking moderately during pregnancy. honestly I think the insane amount of water that is recommended is probably worse than a glass of wine, especially because the water around here has flouride in it. (ducks and runs)

I'm with you on that! I'm hoping to get a reverse osmosis filter soon. On top of flouride, I hate the amounts of meds found in water that have been flushed:/
Old 08-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #27
mommycass
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks to all you mamas for chiming in
Old 08-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #28
Arabesque
Registered Users

My Mood:
I voted other because although I don't have a problem with someone having a glass or two of wine while pregnant, I don't bother drinking any, because then I'd want a second glass . it's easier for me to cut it all out.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #29
cheezpoofs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have heard that because we don't know what is "over the limit" of alcohol for a fetus, it is recommended that pregnant women do not drink at all. In Europe, they supposedly do drink in moderation during pregnancy. While I don't think a glass of wine or a beer here and there is harmful, I don't drink often during pregnancy. I would possibly have a very small glass of wine (the glass I usually use is probably 20oz. but the one I'd use now would be closer to the size of a champagne flute) and a sip or two of something special (ie. I'm pregnant over Christmas and want to have just one taste of the traditional Glogg.). I feel less comfortable with drinking in the first trimester than the third, though I wouldn't drink shots of whiskey during either. I generally avoid all alcohol during the first trimester especially.
Veann - Libertarian, atheist, bookworm, heavy metal Mommy to all boys: Lucius (2-13-09), Orion (4-22-11), and Castiel (3-4-13), wife to Matthew - Anti-circumcision, babywearing, somewhat AP, natural birthing/ homebirthing, don't care about being "green", doing things my own way...
cheezpoofs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:07 AM   #30
magdalynaa
Registered Users
seller

I craved wine during pregnancy! It came in bursts, though. I would have a glass every few days for a couple weeks, but then not want anymore for 2 months. I don't usually care for white wine, but red made me sick while pregnant. So I tried white and got awful heartburn. I finally just gave up, lol.

I certainly wouldn't judge a mama who indulged in moderation, but it just didn't work out for me.
magdalynaa is offline   Reply With Quote