Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Registered Users
My Mood:
Switching careers?

I have a degree in environmental studies. I worked doing plant restoration when I was going to college and after college I was an environmental scientist for 1.5 years. I loved doing plant restoration. I have been out of work and a stay at home mom since then. Before that I only worked jobs not something career related. Since I been out of work so long and haven't even worked in my field much. It isn't a high paying career so I might need to find something else to do once I start looking for jobs. I was thinking of going back to school and getting a masters in urban planning. Where I live now they do not have that degree available. None of the masters degrees at the local university that I could do are anything I would be interested in.

I'm not sure what I want to do. I would love to do something either in the medical field or with statistics but I don't think that will happen. I not sure if I want to go back to school to get another degree but the time and money involved make that hard. I am smart and pick up on facts really well but I am not much of a people person.

ETA: I meant this to go in off topic can it be moved?

nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Registered Users
Formerly: jenn.***
My Mood:
Re: Switching careers?

Do you live in a major metropolitan area? I had a BS in biology and chemistry, and spent a couple years working in biomedical engineering before getting tired of labs. I switched to pharmaceutical advertising (even though I'd never worked in pharma), they just needed someone who could write coherently about health/medicine and who understood statistics. You would be appalled to see how many adults don't know how to calculate a percentage or read a freaking line-graph. I'm a copywriter and folks make a big deal about me being "creative," but 90% of my job involves reading and interpreting drug studies and understanding how to represent clinical data accurately. I haven't used an adjective in years, lol.

And I thought it was an evil business when I started, but this experience has been eye-opening. Yeah, pharma has loads of money and they pay for all kinds of advertisements, but they are also VERY tightly regulated. I've seen pediatric pieces get pulled and reprinted because there was an image of someone in the wrong color t-shirt, or the child looked too blonde in a photo. I can't write a single line about a drug's benefits without including at least an equal amount of information about a drug's potential hazards (and that means in the same font, style, prominence, etc.). Hiding or obscuring negative data is a huge no-no. There are definitely some bad companies out there that break the rules, that misrepresent information or make unfounded claims. But many companies DO follow the rules, and the fact that I have a background in science makes it easier for me to talk to my clients about how to be truthful (and avoid lawsuits, which believe me, they care about!).

Last edited by Palooka; 08-05-2012 at 10:01 AM.
Palooka is offline   Reply With Quote