Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
katymf
Registered Users
seller

When to tell potential job?

i have an interview wednseday to work at a coffee shop. while i am there should i mention i am almost 14weeks pregnant or just wait it out? does it really matter? if i tell i am afraid that she will not hire me...

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Mack
Registered Users
seller

Re: When to tell potential job?

Don't say a thing. Its none of their business at this point. You owe an explanation to your employer, WHEN it becomes relevant. You owe nothing to an interviewer....after all, they owe nothing to you at this point either.

Last edited by Mack; 08-06-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:40 PM   #3
eco-mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Don't say a thing. Its none of their business at this point. You owe an explanation to your employer, WHEN it becomes relevant. You owe nothing to an interviewer....after all, they owe nothing to you at this point either.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

I agree! Don't say a blessed word. They also cannot ask you about your family or family plans, FYI.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
abhernandez
Registered Users

I don't agree. I would tell. I think that a) I wouldn't want to work for someone that had a problem with it because it would be uncomfortable and although they cant fire you, they can make life miserable. I've seen it happen. I worked for a company that got bought by a saudi Arabian prince (no joke) and they systematically rid the company of all woman managers by making their work lives do miserable. And there's no legal recourse when they do that but they all ended up quiting b) I think its better to start out honest. Because honesty is the basis of every healthy relationship.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

I don't think it's relevant at this point. Places are not allowed to ask you marital status or family planning questions during interviews. It's because even though they may not do it intentionally, it causes discrimination. They have to deal with pregnant people, it's part of their business.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
abhernandez
Registered Users

It might not be relevant but it's also about what the work environment will be for you. And if it meets your needs at a particular moment. And if they are the sort of people you want to work with/ for. Some companies have more maternity/child friendly policies and that's definately something I'd want to take into consideration if I was job searching while pregnant. That being said, I wouldn't even really worry about it for a coffee shop job just because it's going to be more informal. And likely not have any benefits.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #8
Hunny Bunny Baby
Registered Users
Formerly: KalleS
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would probably tell only because I would feel like at this point it wouldn't be too much longer until you were showing some, and personally I would just rather it be out there in the open.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #9
amandajiggles
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would interview and if I get the position disclose it before signing any sort of employment contract. In that business they have such high turnover rates that it really shouldn't matter either way because you really are replaceable if you don't end up coming back. Express to them that you really want the position and your plans to return if any after a suitable leave.
amandajiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
CM6755
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I would not say a thing if you want the job. I told my employer I was preggo in 2008 (about 3 mos along) and was terminated due to poor preformance (yah right! I worked my arse off!!!) 2 weeks later. Unfortunately, I told her face to face as a 'courtesy' instead of impersonal email and didn't have any documentation that I told her, she denied knowing I was preggo. So WHEN you DO tell them, CREATE A PAPER TRAIL!!! SEND AN EMAIL AND PRINT THE EMAIL YOU SENT AS WELL AS ANY REPLIES FROM ANYONE AND SAVE THEM IN A SAFE PLACE AT HOME. MAKE SURE YOU STATE YOUR NAME, EMPLOYMENT LOCATION, ETC. IN THE LETTER SO ANYONE CAN BE SURE IT IS YOU AND NOBODY CAN SAY THEY THOUGHT IT WAS SO AND SO... HTH