Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-28-2014, 12:54 PM   #1
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
possible move to big island

DH found his dream job on the big island and has been offered a second interview. I'm trying not to hyperventilate.

How do you make it work financially there? I really want to make it work for him, but I stay home to homeschool my kids currently and at the very least it would take some time to try to transition them to public school (they have special needs so it might not work even if I tried) so I could find work too.

We don't have a fancy house or anything and I'm willing to try to go down to 2 bedrooms instead of 3ish that we have now, but I keep looking at housing online and I can't imagine us being able to afford anything. Two of my boys and I have allergies that would make me prefer the dry side of Waimea. If not Waimea, Hilo, but I'm concerned about mold. We have food allergies so our food budget is astronomical, mostly veggies and beef/poultry. I get our seeds from amazon or azure standard and both of them ship there for free so that would stay the same. I can't find much for pricing online about how much veggies cost. I have little bit of gardening skills so I could work on that if we had a house. My kids are really loud little boys and I'm worried people would hate us if we were neighbors in an apartment or condo situation.

I don't know anyone over there, and my kids are all out of diapers now, but I thought of Diaperswappers and know mamas on here are helpful

Advertisement

Old 11-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #2
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: possible move to big island

I'm not from the Big Island, but I live on Oahu.
The Big ISland is beautiful! My grandma is actually from Waimea, and I've gone to visit her childhood home, which still stands, a few times when I was younger. It's lush and green.

You should be able to find farmer's markets on the Big Island for produce. One thing that may be good to look into is natural foods stores since you have allergies. The Big Island is spread out compared to Oahu, so frequenting stores in Kona when you live in Hilo can be a pain. The drive is over an hour long and boring. I remember getting car sick everytime. It's shorter if you take Saddle Road though.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
mommyegon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Omg. This thread makes me greeeeeeen with envy!!!!
mommyegon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
ingodslove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks!

How does she afford to live there?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingodslove View Post
thanks!

How does she afford to live there?
My grandma? She live on Oahu now. She grew up on a farm in Waimea. She's super country. She can kill a chicken y ringing it's neck and then cook it I'm not joking. I'm sure they grew a lot of their food. BUt this was years and years ago. My mom was raised on Oahu, so that gives you an idea of how long grandma hasn't live there