Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Not sure if I made right decision...

My DD who is 9 1/2 years old has been having really bad it seems back pain for over 48 hrs now. It is the back on the right. Maybe about kidney area just for idea. Like a typical kid she can do some things but others not so much. Ibuprofen does help. I was thinking if no improvement by Monday take her some where. Right now she is uninsured but I am sure we can get the bill covered by state..just waiting on some things.
No fever, no peeing issues, no other symptoms except pain. She did wake up at 3am in pain yesterday..about when ibuprofen should have worn off..little late but not much.
Think I am doing right? I just feel bad because of the pain. But it isn't constant if she is messing around she is fine til she stops.

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
KLeeCW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Not sure if I made right decision...

Not to alarm you, but my husband happened to be in the room reading over my shoulder and he said this is how his appendicitis started when he was 13. It was an off and on back ache that his mom thought was sports related, then it very suddenly switched to very severe pain with flu like symptoms and abdominal cramping. They brought him in to the ER and it was very near rupturing. If you put pressure on the achy spot and quickly release, is it tender? Does the pain increase momentarily after you release pressure? That can be an indicator. A lot of children won't have any other symptoms than abdominal or back ache with appendicitis. I would think given her age and that it's already been 48 hours that it might be best to either bring her in, or at least call an after-hours nurse or the ER to get an opinion. I hope that's not the case and maybe she is just constipated or pulled something playing. Good luck mama!! Hope she feels better soon!
KLeeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sounds odd to me too and very concerning. I would take her to an ER tomorrow. Medicaid (at least here) will not pay for urgent care clinics. I always have to take my foster son to the ER. And, if you have an option, a children's hospital ER is preferable to just a regular one. In my experience, they listen better and deal with things in a way that doesn't freak kids out.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
JayJaysMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah def. worth an ER visit! Hope all is well with her. HUGS!

https://www.facebook.com/SunshineJoiYT
http://hyenacart.com/stores/SunshineClothDiapers/
JayJaysMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #5
mmmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I have had something similar that just involved the pain, no fever, no peeing issues and it ended up being a severe kidney Infection that resulted in a week log hospital stay for IV antibiotics.
The pain started sporadic but then it became constant and I went to the ER. They suspected my appendix as well but the urine culture showed differently.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLeeCW View Post
Not to alarm you, but my husband happened to be in the room reading over my shoulder and he said this is how his appendicitis started when he was 13. It was an off and on back ache that his mom thought was sports related, then it very suddenly switched to very severe pain with flu like symptoms and abdominal cramping. They brought him in to the ER and it was very near rupturing. If you put pressure on the achy spot and quickly release, is it tender? Does the pain increase momentarily after you release pressure? That can be an indicator. A lot of children won't have any other symptoms than abdominal or back ache with appendicitis. I would think given her age and that it's already been 48 hours that it might be best to either bring her in, or at least call an after-hours nurse or the ER to get an opinion. I hope that's not the case and maybe she is just constipated or pulled something playing. Good luck mama!! Hope she feels better soon!
I actually considered this but thought back pain meant no and the pain is not worse when I release after pushing. But I think I will take her in tomorrow after church if it is still bad especially if she wakes up again. My mom will have a cow if I do it before. ...she is my ride right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Sounds odd to me too and very concerning. I would take her to an ER tomorrow. Medicaid (at least here) will not pay for urgent care clinics. I always have to take my foster son to the ER. And, if you have an option, a children's hospital ER is preferable to just a regular one. In my experience, they listen better and deal with things in a way that doesn't freak kids out.
No Children's hospital here but was thinking low income clinic if monday or ER if tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJaysMama View Post
Yeah def. worth an ER visit! Hope all is well with her. HUGS!
Thank you! I hope so to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmom View Post
I have had something similar that just involved the pain, no fever, no peeing issues and it ended up being a severe kidney Infection that resulted in a week log hospital stay for IV antibiotics.
The pain started sporadic but then it became constant and I went to the ER. They suspected my appendix as well but the urine culture showed differently.
Oh wow! Ok I am taking her tomorrow unless she has marked improvement. I was thinking with no other symptoms that is out to.
I will feel horrid if it is something more then a pulled muscle. And since I can't figure out exactly how she pulled one I think better safe then sorry.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #7
LittleClaraLove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn
My DD who is 9 1/2 years old has been having really bad it seems back pain for over 48 hrs now. It is the back on the right. Maybe about kidney area just for idea. Like a typical kid she can do some things but others not so much. Ibuprofen does help. I was thinking if no improvement by Monday take her some where. Right now she is uninsured but I am sure we can get the bill covered by state..just waiting on some things.
No fever, no peeing issues, no other symptoms except pain. She did wake up at 3am in pain yesterday..about when ibuprofen should have worn off..little late but not much.
Think I am doing right? I just feel bad because of the pain. But it isn't constant if she is messing around she is fine til she stops.
If it is at the "flank" on her back, just near the base of the rib cage on a side, they're going to give her antibiotics for a kidney infection.
LittleClaraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #8
blackbirdmama*3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My ods had that pain and it ended up being a kidney infection from a slight obstruction causing his kidney not to drain properly. He was 9 when it started. Definitely take her in to have it checked. Oh and if it is kidney she shouldn't have ibuprofen give her tylenol instead.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Any updates?
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:13 PM   #10
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Kidney infection I guess paper says UTI But Dr said kidney. Pretty bad to. She is on antibiotics.
I am glad I took her even though she said it was slightly less pain after church.

Alisha I know how to spell my Samsung Galaxy S2 does not.