Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

children's fashion

My daughter's going into first grade. The way her school district is- they have one building pre-k and kindergarten, another school houses 1st through 3rd grade.

Last year I was very set on the idea she would dress like a kindergartener (dress her age, not like a mini teenager). Dresses, bows, and maryjanes (socks with ruffles, tights when it's cold).

This year I think I'm thinking WAY too far into it, since she will be at a school with only 1st-3rd, so it's not like there will really be older kids to "pick on her" regarding her fashion (I try REALLY hard with her because I was a tomboy, dirty punkrocker, so I have no fashion sense whatsoever, and I don't want it rubbing off on her or affecting her(if at 13-14 she molds into her own, that's perfectly fine, but I don't want to affect it, if it makes any sense).

Anywho what do first graders typically wear these days? Does it even matter? I just want her to look her age, but I also don't want her to be "baby-ish" by dressing her too young for I guess this generation.

Also- I was looking at dresses at Hanna Andersson (never heard of them until I started coming on this website, do they hold up well, colors not fade if dried? and any good ways to save money?)

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
smashncakes
Registered Users
Formerly: bren***this
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: children's fashion

Maybe it just depends on the area? We have a pretty half & half mix here for 1st grade girls...some are the tomboy/"dirty punkrocker" look, with mostly jeans, tshirts (usually fitted tees, lots of hello kitty, or solid colored tees), hoodies, and sneakers...other half is the "mini teenager" look, with mostly skinny jeans, legging style pants/"jeggings", glittery/designed shirts (some with sayings, but definitely no princess stuff going on), and ballet flats or ugg-type boots in the winter. Pretty much all of them have bows, but they're like boutique-y type bows, with character ribbons, multiple colors, feathers, jewels, etc coordinated to their outfits (and I learned how to make them because they're freaking expensive to buy!!) We're in a school with pre-k through grade 8, and I can honestly say that HERE, there was only one family of little girls (last year there was a pre-k, K, 2nd, and 4th grade girl from their family) dressed how you describe how your daughter was dressed last year, and they got made fun of all the time Pre-k and K girls don't really do character stuff other than hello kitty (my 2nd year pre-k DD is the odd one out with her monster high t-shirts, but she has plenty of hello kitty as well), but they're still pretty much about the same as the 1st graders. Oh, and we're "redneck" southern Illinois here too, so its not like we're in a more umm...modern (??) style type area.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I detest the mini teenager look. My daughter who is 5 1/2 wears Hanna play dresses, dresses and skirts from Mini Boden, tights and footless tights from both. She always wears maryjane shoes from pedipeds flex(she has narrow feet). The last 2 years she has had the red ones with sequence all over them. I like them because they have the flexible sole so she can run and climb. She loves everything very girly and has since she was very tiny.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #4
WilliamsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My mom dressed me in classic Land's End type style in the 1990s, and I am SO thankful for it. I look back on school class photos and everyone looks RIDICULOUS but me. (Think crazy early 90s shape sweaters with crazy hair.)

I don't ever recalled getting picked on, hopefully it wouldn't happen today.

Photo added...can you tell who I am?? Front right...red dress.
Luke 9/26/13

Last edited by WilliamsMama; 08-05-2012 at 11:01 AM. Reason: adding photo
WilliamsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

This all makes me think I'm not thinking too far into it.

I justy asked my daughter (I already knew) what her favorite clothes are and they're dresses, she will always pick a dress over everything. I pulled up a website and was looking through, and pretty much she wanted EVERY dress on the website.

She's super girly as well, and quirky, she will wear anything I ask her to wear with resentment as long as it's not uncomfy (very picky about comfort, hah) but if I ask her to go get dressed she will come out with what I call runway fashion with something like snowboots or cowboy boots.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

I think it could depend on the area.

My niece was in kindy last year and will be in first this year. Her school has a view of the beach and a great marine biology program so they spend tons of time by the water. She often wears crocs, converse, or flip flops. Hurley/Roxy t's with board shorts, sun dresses, etc. The clothing is all in cutesy pink or purple colors, nothing that looks too grown up. Most the other children dress the same. We are in a very beachy area though. The boys often wear plaid board shorts with striped t's and don't care if they match, haha!

Yesterday she wore purple low cut chucks, jean shorts, and a purple t-shirt, pigtails with bows. Still child like even if her shirt was Roxy which is a common brand among teens. Heck, in my mid twenties I still wear Roxy flip flops.

Austen 06/12

Last edited by Only; 08-05-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
cmarsh31
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DD is 4, so her 2nd year of preschool. She's mainly dresses & leggings (not tights - it's too cold in the winter for tights). Looking back at my DS's class last year, the girls I noticed were mainly wearing tunic-type tops, leggings, skirts with leggings, etc. The rule is sneakers/appropriate (not flipflops etc) for playground use & PE days. I've been concentrating most on shoes right now - I want her to be in the habit of choosing safe shoes for school as her opinions get stronger and stronger (ie yes, you may wear your crocs to the pool - but there's no running, even on the grass, in them, etc).

For dresses - we love Hanna Andersson (I try to get them at consignment sales - they hold up great!), LL Bean, Land's End (just had a great clearance sale), Gymboree. Leggings fit forever, so I just grab them whenever I see them cheap (under $4) in whatever the next size may be. She's still wearing her 18 month ones as shorts under dresses in the summer.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #8
LittleLifeSize
Registered Users
Formerly: ****lberkeley
seller

If she loves the dresses, go with that. Simple dresses are perfect for 1st grade. Especially paired with some bike shorts in the warmer months, or leggings in the winter. My niece went through a phase where she wore nothing but dresses, and would not come within 10 feet of a pair of jeans. Make use of the sale, and take advantage of the fact that she still fits in Carter's. Carter's has some nice simple dresses that when on sale can be under $5, and often times they come paired with leggings in the fall/winter. I love gymboree because its kids clothes. They make a statement of keeping kids as they are, kids. No skin tight tissue thin tees, no skin tight skinny jeans or studded jackets. They take fashion and scale it down to the kid size. And if you catch a great sale, it can really be cheap. I love Crazy8 for back to school fashion. I scored 7 shirts, 4 pairs of jeans, 5 dresses, 2 skirts, and 2 pairs of shorts for under $50 with a coupon last week. Most pieces were under $6, and they last! Take your daughter into the store if you have one, she can probably go wild, and it won't cost too much.

Also check out the sales on here, I have scored some cute outfits, nice shoes for a great deal or from trades. I am not a huge fan of Hanna, I think their play dresses can get pilly depending on the time of year its produced, and that makes they no better then Carter's in my opinion. Don't try and stock up everything at once, spreading it out and picking up things here and there is a great way to take advantage of sales and continue to add things into the wardrobe so it doesn't become stagnant. And of course, look into trades, maybe someone else has a daughter in the same size and midway through the year you can swap clothing pieces.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
champatlife
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the input. I guess I should say she doesn't wear tight tights most of the time (she wears the knit ones usually unless the fabric of the dress wouldn't pair well) and does wear leggings as well.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:04 AM   #10
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah, 1st-3rd graders definitely check out what the other kids wear. At our school, everyone wears brands like DC, Etnies, and Vans. My DDs come to school with us and they wear Converse...all the kids at school think that is cool (we have grades K-8). It seems like the shoes are the most important part at our school; if a kid has decent shoes, he/she is less likely to get picked on.

I love knit dresses with knit leggings...Hannas are great, as are Land's End and Gymboree. I usually dress them in something like that with their low top Converse shoes.