Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
kadesmama
Registered Users
seller

ammonia stinkies on my flip inserts _ help!

Hi ladies,

I've had sticky issues and ask not sure what i'm doing wrong out what I need to change... I have a wrong ammonia smell that happens only after K pees. The diapers smell fine out of the dryer. only really smell it on the flip stay dry inserts and the mf inserts.

My washing routine:
cold rinse, max water, spin, no additives
Hotwash, med water, a third of the recommended soft rock, rock in green, cold double rinse
I don't wash a ton of diapers at once BC the flip ones take up such little space (2 days worth)
We have well water with a softener that makes the water very soft (to much so IMO) hence the reduced detergent.
ideas?

Advertisement

kadesmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #2
jesslfar
Registered Users
seller

Re: ammonia stinkies on my flip inserts _ help!

Typically a pee smell after peeing only is a build up of soap. Try stripping them and then using less soap.
jesslfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
luvthefluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

first of all i would ditch RnG. second i would bleach them. BG and flips actually recommends an accasional bleach on their products
Old 08-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

Stinky diapers is almost never from using too much detergent even with soft water. The most simple answer is that they are not getting clean. I personally do not think that RnG is a good detergent so I would try just about anything other than that. You do not need a special detergent for diapers. I would use whatever detergent you use on your clothes. For soft water I understand that you might need to use less but still I would use as much as you do for regular laundry. Also bleach to disinfect would be a good thing at this point.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #5
Hegemony Cricket
Registered Users
seller

I ended up getting rid of my Flip inserts because I couldn't handle the ammonia stinkies anymore, but in my experience, bleaching anything with microfiber helps a lot.
Hegemony Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:52 PM   #6
gehagge
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd definitely bleach, if nothing else just to start "fresh". If you want to keep using RNG, I'd use more. I'm a believer in using the recommended amount unless you start having problems with buildup. I just don't really think buildup is that common, though that is my opinion. I was having ammonia issues with my night diapers, which were flip stay dry with a flip organic at the time and bleach every third wash or so was the thing that did it, though now that I've started using more detergent (I was using about 1/2 the recommended amt...I use Kirkland free and clear, which is what we use on clothes), I don't need to do it so often. I do have hard water though.
gehagge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
tweety612
Registered Users
seller
seller

Ammonia is from bacteria which means diapers are not getting clean. You need MORE soap, not less. And add bleach. Cottonbabies recommends bleaching once a month.

Great thread here:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1370038

Sent from my DROID4 using DS Forum