Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #11
Angel89411
Banned

I flew with my 4 year old and then 5 month old alone across country. My older son kicked the seat in front of him twice early on. I felt horrible, stopped him, corrected him, apologized to man in seat and set consequences. Same with second time only I followed through said consequence. He had every right to be upset with him. He did not have the right to turn around and glare at my son over every peep on an afternoon flight for the next 3 hours. Considering my kids didn't cry and that was the worst he had done on our 2nd 3 hour flight, I was feeling pretty good.

Advertisement

Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mean old woman on the plane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
That was my first thought too. Why? Weren't you scared you'd make everyone sick? It does sound like the lady was a grouch, but maybe it wasn't the best time to be flying?
roseola is a virus right? so others can catch it? planes have limited amount of oxygen, the air is recycled a LOT

Not sure it's fair on the other people if they could get something that causes a small child a 104 fever, whatever virus it is
Old 08-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
That was my first thought too. Why? Weren't you scared you'd make everyone sick? It does sound like the lady was a grouch, but maybe it wasn't the best time to be flying?
I don't know the OP's story, but unfortunately, sometimes you have to fly with a sick kid. It sucks formothers on the plane but sometimes youmhave to get where you're going.

When we went to disney world last time we missed our connecting flight due to a delay. We couldn't get home that day - had to stay ina hotel over night. We had to get home - we were already a day late gettng home. Dd1 got sick an hour before our flight took off. It sucked but we had to put her on a plane sick and puking. We felt horrible doing it but were stuck.

I'm guessing the OP felt she needed to make that trip. I'm sure she weighed the pros and cons of going with a fever and did what was best for them. It sucks for other passengers but it is a risk of flying. I doubt anyone gets on a plane thinking it's a germ free environment.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #14
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianna'sMommy View Post
I don't know the OP's story, but unfortunately, sometimes you have to fly with a sick kid. It sucks formothers on the plane but sometimes youmhave to get where you're going.

When we went to disney world last time we missed our connecting flight due to a delay. We couldn't get home that day - had to stay ina hotel over night. We had to get home - we were already a day late gettng home. Dd1 got sick an hour before our flight took off. It sucked but we had to put her on a plane sick and puking. We felt horrible doing it but were stuck.

I'm guessing the OP felt she needed to make that trip. I'm sure she weighed the pros and cons of going with a fever and did what was best for them. It sucks for other passengers but it is a risk of flying. I doubt anyone gets on a plane thinking it's a germ free environment.
so if a child/adult with a weak immune system gets sick because you brought a sick child on a plane, that is just tough? That is pretty heartless
Old 08-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #15
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Personally, I'm a bit aghast at a kid with a high fever and suspected roseola was flying, especially since that virus is highly contagious. I hope you at least took a mask for your sick child to contain the droplets that would help spread the virus to those around you in the confines of the plane--likely going on vacation, to work or to see family.

I understand some very, very limited circumstances where flying with an ill child would be unavoidable, but I hope you took those sorts of precautions.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #16
Connor
Registered Users
seller

I'm sorry but I didn't see where roseola was suspected? The OP took her son to the ped and tget didn't find anything wrong. He is teething and that could very likely be the cause.

Yes, sometimes people have no choice but to take their sick child out in public. I don't see the big deal.

ETA, I did find the post where roseola was suspected. Still, that's just a guess. Is roseola even a big deal? I thought it was just a few days of fever ending in a rash?

Last edited by Connor; 08-05-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #17
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I'm sorry but I didn't see where roseola was suspected? The OP took her son to the ped and tget didn't find anything wrong. He is teething and that could very likely be the cause.

Yes, sometimes people have no choice but to take their sick child out in public. I don't see the big deal.

ETA, I did find the post where roseola was suspected. Still, that's just a guess. Is roseola even a big deal? I thought it was just a few days of fever ending in a rash?
Kind of a big deal if you are flying for vacation. I know when we head to Disney, a high fever and itchy rash would pretty much ruin the trip for our entire family. Likewise with pretty much any other optional type travel--visiting relatives we only see once a year, visiting friends, etc.

Not to mention, even when I am home with nothing pressing going on, I don't really appreciate the parents out and about with their sick kids. Taking care of a sick kid is no fun, and neither is being a sick kid.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #18
Rhianna'sMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants View Post
so if a child/adult with a weak immune system gets sick because you brought a sick child on a plane, that is just tough? That is pretty heartless
One of the legs of our trip, the plane was only 1/2 full so we asked to sit in the back away from other passengers. The other flight was full and we asked if we could switch seats to have her at the front or back of the plane so she was around as few people as possible. But if we didn't get on that flight we'd have to pay a ton of money to get us home. Going then was the obly way the airline would pay for the changed flights. We felt horrid flying with her sick - for her sake and other passengers sake. But we didn't have much choice. We did our best to keep her away from others.

Sick people fly all the time. It sucks but sometimes there isn't a choice.
Rhianna'sMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #19
Connor
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post
Kind of a big deal if you are flying for vacation. I know when we head to Disney, a high fever and itchy rash would pretty much ruin the trip for our entire family. Likewise with pretty much any other optional type travel--visiting relatives we only see once a year, visiting friends, etc.

Not to mention, even when I am home with nothing pressing going on, I don't really appreciate the parents out and about with their sick kids. Taking care of a sick kid is no fun, and neither is being a sick kid.
I agree that it isn't ideal but sometimes it can't be avoided. If my DS were to get sick and we were out of food (happens about every 8-10 days), then we'd go to the grocery store. He'd be on my back like always but he'd be out just the same.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #20
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Work related for DH couldn't reschedule, tried to clean behind us with sanitizer but sometimes you just have to travel when you have to. Pediatrician just mentioned roseola due to the fever, no other reason. No symptoms other than the fever. But why did this become an attack on my parenting?

ETA... If you haven't ever flown sick then you probably don't fly very often. I can assure you there are sick people on every plane. If you fly often, you know it's a hazard of flying. Not downplaying the importance of trying to prevent spreading germs around, but every parent I know personally who travels often has flown with a sick child at least once.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com

Last edited by dancermommy1; 08-05-2012 at 11:05 PM.
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote