Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:11 PM   #21
Buxterboo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mean old woman on the plane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1 View Post
Work related for DH couldn't reschedule, tried to clean behind us with sanitizer but sometimes you just have to travel when you have to. Pediatrician just mentioned roseola due to the fever, no other reason. No symptoms other than the fever. But why did this become an attack on my parenting?

ETA... If you haven't ever flown sick then you probably don't fly very often. I can assure you there are sick people on every plane. If you fly often, you know it's a hazard of flying. Not downplaying the importance of trying to prevent spreading germs around, but every parent I know personally who travels often has flown with a sick child at least once.
I dont get it either... Some times there really is no other option but to fly. You cant avoid germs on a plane and If someone is really concerned about it maybe they should just not fly...

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #22
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
People do fly sick all the time. We did unfortunately. Blame the Army. We went home for vacation. DS1 got sick on the flight there, Herpes t1 & coxsackie. He gave it to me. The Army recalled the hubs back to our post in Germany (darn war with Iraq in '03). We *had* to return asap. So we brough back the same ickiness we caught on the way there. Its life. Not cool but still ~ life.

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:28 AM   #23
busyteacher
Registered Users
seller
seller

My mom was feeding my DS a bottle while I was at the eye doctor. A lady sat down beside her and commented about how loudly he was eating! My mom just looked at her and said "He just enjoys his meals." Then the lady proceeded to get on her smart phone amd play some game that was way louder than my child cooing while eating. Some people just want everything to be the way they want it. My 3 month old could have been screaming the whole time instead of making sweet baby noises.
busyteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:04 AM   #24
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Maybe I'm odd, but I DO fly all the time, and I've never flown with a sick kid. I've rescheduled a couple of flights due to kid illness. If I did find myself in some sort of "must fly today" situation, I'd make sure the sick person with my party wore a mask to minimize exposure to others.

But, I really can't relate because my husband has never had a work trip that required my company, no matter what.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #25
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants

so if a child/adult with a weak immune system gets sick because you brought a sick child on a plane, that is just tough? That is pretty heartless
I would think if you have a weakened immune system you wouldn't go on a plane
Old 08-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #26
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

OP, sorry that lady was such a pill! My DH would have lost it on her and gotten kicked off the plane, I am sure :/
Old 08-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #27
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post
Maybe I'm odd, but I DO fly all the time, and I've never flown with a sick kid. I've rescheduled a couple of flights due to kid illness. If I did find myself in some sort of "must fly today" situation, I'd make sure the sick person with my party wore a mask to minimize exposure to others.

But, I really can't relate because my husband has never had a work trip that required my company, no matter what.
Well I'm glad that worked out for you.

Thank you to all those who offered support in context of the actual topic of my post.

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #28
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babylove921

I would think if you have a weakened immune system you wouldn't go on a plane
Seriously?! Like, never? That's ridiculous. I am immune suppressed because I had a transplant. So I just shouldn't ever go anywhere? To me it's more about people having the common courtesy to not spread THEIR germs. If you can't reschedule, wear a mask!

Eta: OP, what a grouchy old lady! People suck sometimes.

Last edited by Msheidiann; 08-06-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Msheidiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #29
Dr.HeathenFaerie
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msheidiann View Post
Seriously?! Like, never? That's ridiculous. I am immune suppressed because I had a transplant. So I just shouldn't ever go anywhere? To me it's more about people having the common courtesy to not spread THEIR germs. If you can't reschedule, wear a mask!

Eta: OP, what a grouchy old lady! People suck sometimes.
Not meant in a rude way but if it is seriously going to be detrimental to your health why would you risk it?

I mean it would be nice if every one took precautions but as someone that worked at walmart for three years if you had ANY idea how many times I was cleaning a bathroom and watched people walk out after using it and never even glancing at the soap or sinks. Not to mention when I worked in the fitting rooms cleaning poop,pee,diapers,dirty underwear and even condoms was a daily thing.
My husband laughs at me because I bring brand new clothes home cut off the tags and wash them. People are nasty. I have never been on a plane but I would not expect them to be better there than they are on the ground.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #30
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sheesh, some people!

My son (was 4 at the time) kicked the seat of the man in front of him. I didn't see it because it was DH & I traveling with 3 kids (ages 4, 2 and 1) and I didn't happen to be looking in his direction at that moment. Anyways, the man turned around and asked my son not to kick his seat. I corrected my son's behavior and switched seats with him so the man would not be bothered again. I felt bad about it the rest of the flight.

Regarding the fever, the doctor cleared the child to fly. I don't get jumping on OP about this. The doctor did not recommend a mask or else the child probably would have been wearing it.

I fly with my hubby regularly for work because we are military and we move from station to station as a family. Yeah, it sucks if you get sick because someone else you were flying with was sick but I think it is unreasonable to expected every person that has any kind of bug to reschedule or not travel. People just cannot afford (financially, due to schedules, etc.) to do that in every case. There are special circumstances in everyone's lives not just those who are immune suppressed.

I do keep my child (and myself) at home as much as possible when sick and I appreciate when other parents are able to do the same, but sometimes they are not able. I wipe down the cart at the grocery store because even though it would be nice if a sick person never touched the cart (because they stay home,) my health (and the health of my child) is ultimately my responsibility.