Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #31
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

I don't think that the lady was thaaaat mean. I've heard mean old ladies say a lot more than "shhhh", lol, so I guess that doesn't seem too major to me. OP, I hope your little guy gets to feeling better quickly.

Advertisement

sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:58 AM   #32
babylove921
Registered Users
Formerly: mrsdrums1

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msheidiann

Seriously?! Like, never? That's ridiculous. I am immune suppressed because I had a transplant. So I just shouldn't ever go anywhere? To me it's more about people having the common courtesy to not spread THEIR germs. If you can't reschedule, wear a mask!

Eta: OP, what a grouchy old lady! People suck sometimes.
Yep. Like, never. Why chance it?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #33
Sarahknavy
Registered Users
seller

I hate how on diaper swappers... Every thread gets turned into... Ugh... Well why the hell did you do that? That was a stupid thing to doing you deserve what happened. You are ruining our whole nation with your parenting, and you should keep your kids away from all of our little angels.

Anyways... I was lucky that when my sister and I flew with our 2 one year olds, the people we sat next to were amazing! Even offered to hold my son while I went to the restroom(remember that my sister was sitting right there and was watching him).

Sorry she was rude. Old ladies can be super sweet or super rude. I don't think there is often a middle ground with them. If a kid on a plane was talking, I would be happy with that.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:35 AM   #34
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Mean old woman on the plane...

OP, yeah, she was a killjoy for sure. It's always frustrating when your kids are being good (for them at their age/ability) only to have someone else (who has no clue how awesome your child is actually doing in context) squash it.

I think immuno suppressed issues have to be dealt with like peanut allergies. You have to protect yourself (or child as the case may be) and can't count on the entire world to do it for you. Obviously, if you get on a peanut free flight, there should be no peanuts, but beyond that, it's all you.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #35
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I guess I just don't understand DS logic? There is a post in OT that just got locked down where people are flipping out about people not washing their hands in a public restroom, and how that's shameful, and how we don't care for others, and so disgusting, and on and on.... But if you mention that perhaps flying with a high fever isn't the best....oh my gosh you HAVE to fly. I don't get it.

And I'm really not trying to attack you, OP. I have no idea what you situation was. Maybe you did HAVE to fly for whatever reason. And it's true I don't fly a lot--in fact I've never flown. But I don't see bringing a sick kid on a plane as very friendly to the other passengers, your child, or yourself. You didn't know what he had, and could have (and probably did) give it to others. Plus I think it's kind of unfair to expect a sick kid to get up at 3 am and act respectfully on a plane. He's little. And he's sick. It's rough. And of course that makes it rough on you to, to have to worry about dealing with a small sick kid on a plane. If you had to do it, then so be it but I probably wouldn't have been tickled pink about sitting next to you either.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #36
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten
I guess I just don't understand DS logic? There is a post in OT that just got locked down where people are flipping out about people not washing their hands in a public restroom, and how that's shameful, and how we don't care for others, and so disgusting, and on and on.... But if you mention that perhaps flying with a high fever isn't the best....oh my gosh you HAVE to fly. I don't get it.

And I'm really not trying to attack you, OP. I have no idea what you situation was. Maybe you did HAVE to fly for whatever reason. And it's true I don't fly a lot--in fact I've never flown. But I don't see bringing a sick kid on a plane as very friendly to the other passengers, your child, or yourself. You didn't know what he had, and could have (and probably did) give it to others. Plus I think it's kind of unfair to expect a sick kid to get up at 3 am and act respectfully on a plane. He's little. And he's sick. It's rough. And of course that makes it rough on you to, to have to worry about dealing with a small sick kid on a plane. If you had to do it, then so be it but I probably wouldn't have been tickled pink about sitting next to you either.
The point, IMO, was that despite all these challenges the child was behaving well even compared to well, well rested children, but this woman expected complete silence, and instead of making a polite request, shushed and scared a child that wasn't really doing anything wrong. Just because the child may or may not have been sick, or should or should not have been on the plane, doesn't mean this woman wasn't being silly and/or unreasonable. That's how I read it, anyway.
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #37
P!nkPepper

Formerly Q......9
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra

The point, IMO, was that despite all these challenges the child was behaving well even compared to well, well rested children, but this woman expected complete silence, and instead of making a polite request, shushed and scared a child that wasn't really doing anything wrong. Just because the child may or may not have been sick, or should or should not have been on the plane, doesn't mean this woman wasn't being silly and/or unreasonable. That's how I read it, anyway.
Me too. But we are women (mostly) and it is in our nature to find fault in others, esp other mamas. And with that I will run &

Jodie ~ wife & mama
P!nkPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #38
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever
OP, yeah, she was a killjoy for sure. It's always frustrating when your kids are being good (for them at their age/ability) only to have someone else (who has no clue how awesome your child is actually doing in context) squash it.

I think immuno suppressed issues have to be dealt with like peanut allergies. You have to protect yourself (or child as the case may be) and can't count on the entire world to do it for you. Obviously, if you get on a peanut free flight, there should be no peanuts, but beyond that, it's all you.
I definitely agree. That why I rarely fly I. Winter, wipe everything down, and wear a mask. :0) I just wish, if possible, people would not expose others.

In response to everyone else...HA. Yeah not going to live in a bubble!! I protect myself to the best of my abilities, but have a life to live. I just want others to think twice sometimes.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #39
shouldbedoinglaundry
Registered Users
seller
seller

Hugs, mama. I've been there.
There is nothing you can do but feel grateful that you have the capacity to empathize with other moms when your kids are older. So many older women stop me after church and say "I remember when my kids were little and it was so hard to get to Mass. Kudos for coming even though your kids are active". Thank God that for every bad comment I get, I get twenty encouraging ones from experienced mamas who remember how it felt to be in the trenches.

My ISO/IHA
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...3#post15551593
shouldbedoinglaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #40
CrunchyMomOf2
Registered Users
seller

When we first moved to Manhattan we were taking the subway and DS 4 at the time leaned forward and licked the pole he was holding on to. Gross! Well before I could do anything a little old lady flicked him! And said "Yucky!" Honestly? I thought it was pretty funny. In that case she was out of line but at least she was thinking of my son not just her own comfort like in your case.