Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #41
kai_e's Avatar
kai_e
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SE Connecticut
Posts: 1,261
My Mood:
Re: Mean old woman on the plane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
I think immuno suppressed issues have to be dealt with like peanut allergies. You have to protect yourself (or child as the case may be) and can't count on the entire world to do it for you. Obviously, if you get on a peanut free flight, there should be no peanuts, but beyond that, it's all you.
OP - I get it, I might have even said something along lines of "If you think THIS is bad, then you haven't been around kids enough."

To the quoted, I get your point too which is why when we fly or travel with my youngest:

a)flights are booked for red eyes so that he is sleeping and can be carried - minimizing contact with germ covered surfaces like the boarding/gate area, restrooms, pretty much the whole airport
b)he wears a mask
c)we use hand sanitizer like it is going out of style

I know for a fact that we can't trust people not to travel when they are a little sick or really sick and carrying something contagious that could put a kid with an immune deficiency in serious trouble. The downside is that then *I* have to deal with the looks AND questions of everyone, including TSA, who assume that HE is carrying ebola because he has a mask and we won't let him touch anything when it is because of THEM that he has to travel like that in the first place.

Advertisement

kai_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #42
Msheidiann's Avatar
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,014
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kai_e

OP - I get it, I might have even said something along lines of "If you think THIS is bad, then you haven't been around kids enough."

To the quoted, I get your point too which is why when we fly or travel with my youngest:

a)flights are booked for red eyes so that he is sleeping and can be carried - minimizing contact with germ covered surfaces like the boarding/gate area, restrooms, pretty much the whole airport
b)he wears a mask
c)we use hand sanitizer like it is going out of style

I know for a fact that we can't trust people not to travel when they are a little sick or really sick and carrying something contagious that could put a kid with an immune deficiency in serious trouble. The downside is that then *I* have to deal with the looks AND questions of everyone, including TSA, who assume that HE is carrying ebola because he has a mask and we won't let him touch anything when it is because of THEM that he has to travel like that in the first place.
Yeah you should see the looks *I* get when I am wearing a mask on a plane (or in the hospital for that matter). You'd think I had the plague! Then the person gawking is coughing/sneezing, etc. LOL.
__________________
SAHM and Wife to Matthew
Forever Mommy to Thomas
Msheidiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #43
dancermommy1's Avatar
dancermommy1
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,167
Re: Mean old woman on the plane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mibarra View Post
The point, IMO, was that despite all these challenges the child was behaving well even compared to well, well rested children, but this woman expected complete silence, and instead of making a polite request, shushed and scared a child that wasn't really doing anything wrong. Just because the child may or may not have been sick, or should or should not have been on the plane, doesn't mean this woman wasn't being silly and/or unreasonable. That's how I read it, anyway.
Yes, thanks

Not roseola. Fever is gone. Never had any other symtpoms of anything at all. So, maybe was teeth after all!
__________________
Bellydancing, Jesus-loving, cloth-diapering ecologist and Mommy to Michael Christopher, born July 8, 2010!!

Please Visit my ETSY store benefiting women and children in poverty! http://www.etsy.com/shop/conspiracyoflove

YOU can make a difference in developing countries, one precious child at a time! http://conspiracy-of-love.blogspot.com
dancermommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #44
Connor's Avatar
Connor
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancermommy1

Yes, thanks

Not roseola. Fever is gone. Never had any other symtpoms of anything at all. So, maybe was teeth after all!
And you flew with a teething baby that had a fever?!
__________________
Single Mommy to my 3 year old DS born all natural. We are a Cosleeping, Breastfeeding, Babywearing Non-Vaxing DUO!!
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #45
Teexie
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,933
Re: Mean old woman on the plane...

Jeesh. I wouldn't have said anything directly to the lady because I'm a coward like that, but I probably would have spent the rest of the flight making snide comments to my DH so she could hear

And it seems to me the ones who are commenting on how it's horrible to fly with a sick kid are the ones who don't fly very often. There are germs ALL OVER the place on that plane, and I fully expect to come into contact with all sorts of mutated viruses every time I step on one. It's gross and it sucks, but there are lots of sick people on there, and the germs left over from the sick people who rode just before you, and the flight before that. But it's unavoidable because sometimes people HAVE to fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
And you flew with a teething baby that had a fever?!
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #46
Hope4More's Avatar
Hope4More
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: In the land of Crazy
Posts: 5,190
My Mood:
I don't understand rude people. I don't understand rude people in public who comment on things that aren't that big of a deal. And I don't understand rude people online who judge people.

When I see something ive "judged" to be inappropriate, weird, vile, cursed, sick, pathetic, unsafe, selfish, etc, I usually shake my head, and mumble in my head about how messed up it is using a few cuss words. I wouldn't share my judgements with anyone but my husband in the privacy of our home, and we'd probably only talk about it because it was good dirt and the only other thing to talk about is laundry or our kids. Boring. I don't understand how we became such a society that felt we had to rip everyone else apart just so we could feel better. At the risk of Me becoming the biggest hypocrite here, it needs to be said that tearing each other apart is not our job. We get crap from lots of people in our lives- we shouldn't have to get it from a random group of women (that dont know each other's life details) that are supposed to be supportive of each other.

Ok, rant over
__________________
Wife, WAHM, born-again Christian, proud mommy to my loving, energetic son (4) and blessed, miracle daughter
God gave us our RAINBOW baby !
I WILL WARRIOR ON... This mama misses her three baby angels (10.19) (1.29) (4.18)
I have given my cross to Jesus, who has a special talent for overcoming them, even if it means giving His own life...

Last edited by Hope4More; 08-06-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Hope4More is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:05 PM   #47
LeslieT's Avatar
LeslieT
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,502
My Mood:
Re: Mean old woman on the plane...

OT & just plain nosy to Msheidiann: what kind of transplant did you have? I am a renal transplant recipient, myself.

I am EXTREMELY lucky and now, 7+ years after my Xplant, I have to take the tiniest small dose of immunosuppression (perfect match living related donor + very aggressive protocol) so I don't really have to consider this anymore. But yes, I have worn masks in public and gotten the stinkeye for it.
__________________
Spread the Word to End the Word
LeslieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:14 PM   #48
Msheidiann's Avatar
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,014
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieT
OT & just plain nosy to Msheidiann: what kind of transplant did you have? I am a renal transplant recipient, myself.

I am EXTREMELY lucky and now, 7+ years after my Xplant, I have to take the tiniest small dose of immunosuppression (perfect match living related donor + very aggressive protocol) so I don't really have to consider this anymore. But yes, I have worn masks in public and gotten the stinkeye for it.
Oh it's fine, I don't mind sharing! Bilateral lung transplant! I was so startled by the stinkeye in the beginning. I disnt get what they were stating at! But at 11 years post, I am use to it. LOL! I am still on a fairly normal immunosuppressant regime. It's lower than it was initially, and changed, because of possible renal issues. Go figure. ;0) nice to have another transplant buddy!
__________________
SAHM and Wife to Matthew
Forever Mommy to Thomas
Msheidiann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #49
7 for now
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: SE Idaho
Posts: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msheidiann

Oh it's fine, I don't mind sharing! Bilateral lung transplant! I was so startled by the stinkeye in the beginning. I disnt get what they were stating at! But at 11 years post, I am use to it. LOL! I am still on a fairly normal immunosuppressant regime. It's lower than it was initially, and changed, because of possible renal issues. Go figure. ;0) nice to have another transplant buddy!
I am also a transplant recipient. I had my aortic valve and aortic root replaced with a human valve. I don't had to take anti rejection meds though due to the process of harvesting and preserving the valve though. I only have to take low dose aspirin daily.

I am eternally grateful to my donor for giving me my second chance and allowing me to add 5 kids to my family. That would not have been possible with a mechanical valve so human was my only option that allowed me more kids!
7 for now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #50
omahonycm's Avatar
omahonycm
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 2,304
Kids are the least of my worries when I fly. I hate when people play their music so loud I can hear the bass through the earphones, I always get the person who constantly knocks my seat back, and so many guys take both arm rests. The list goes on and on. Compared to the annoyances of plane travel, parents who are already doing everything they can are easy peasy. And I can't imagine how hard it would be to fly with a sick 2 yo. You rock!

I wish I would have had the guts to say, "I don't appreciate you scaring my child. Please do not attempt to correct him or scare him again."
__________________
Marie - Living my dreams! Mama to a bright and busy big girl, a sweet little toddler girl and expecting a surprise in November! If I'm not with my daughters, then I'm or doing or spending time with the husband or... what else? here on DS!
omahonycm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.