Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:52 PM   #21
rverrone11
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Have to be able to read to get into Kindergarten?

I teach Kindergarten, and many of the students don't even know their letters let alone their sounds.

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #22
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
My experience with public kindergarten was years ago, but the standards to "get in" were ridiculously low. They had the children take a test to see if they could recognize and sound out like 10 letters and numbers and to write their own names and recognize basic shapes. And even if a child didn't pass the test, it was only a strong suggestion that they wait another year. It sounds like your Mom is just fear mongering because she is concerned about the quality of education that you could provide for your child. In my experience you could practically sleep through the year and still come out ahead of the public school curriculum.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #23
lissa~K
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rverrone11
I teach Kindergarten, and many of the students don't even know their letters let alone their sounds.
Hmmm maybe I take back my opinion about the standards then. I really just don't understand how that is possible. So far my children have all been reading by K and I certainly have some that are more advanced then others. I would expect at the very least that a 5 year old could write and sound out all their letters. Most children are CERTAINLY capable of it!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #24
AfWife8405
Registered Users
seller
seller

My 4 yr old started Kindy last week and nobody asked him (or me) anything about what he knows to enroll him. On the first day of school, his teacher gave instructions to the class which included the words "if you don't know your numbers or letters its okay, that is why you are at school. My oldest had this same teacher last year and left her class knowing many (possible 30-50) sight words and is able to sound out words he doesn't immediately recognize. He never went to preschool - I do preschool home school style.

Anyways, my point is kids start Kindy at all different levels and I have yet to meet a child starting Kindy reading or a teacher that expects them to. Next time your mom makes a comment, I would just ask her to have a little faith in you. Surely, if you can be trusted teach your child to be a moral person with the ability to function as an adult you can teach handle phonics and math. Parents ARE teachers, funny how some people seem to overlook that. Don't get me wrong, I think teachers are fantastic - but parents are capable, too!
Old 08-06-2012, 12:31 AM   #25
jjgammon
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lissa~K View Post
Hmmm maybe I take back my opinion about the standards then. I really just don't understand how that is possible. So far my children have all been reading by K and I certainly have some that are more advanced then others. I would expect at the very least that a 5 year old could write and sound out all their letters. Most children are CERTAINLY capable of it!
I think that many parents who plan on sending their kids to public school just don't even TRY to teach them ANYTHING. I see it all the time, "Oh (s)he will learn that in Kindergarten!"

And DD is nowhere NEAR able to write most of her letters. Then again she has always been a smidge slow in the motor skills department, whereas her verbal skills have always been advanced. I'm relatively sure she will be reading by 5, as long as I can get my hands on one of the books I've been looking at...
My ISO/IHA thread
jjgammon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:59 AM   #26
yellowitchgrl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Like another poster, we're in an extremely wealthy county. We have one of the best school districts in the country. However, my kid went to K and didn't finally learn to read until 1st grade. They had him in GT math, though.

My mom is a retired teacher and when I told her we were pulling Andrew she agreed it was a good choice for us. I think having a long talk with your mom, answering all her questions, etc on what the good and the bad of homeschooling and it might go better.

What's she's telling you complete BS, though I get why she might. Your daughter can get a much better education at home and any set backs that she may have will never be a source of mockery by other kids, so if she's still a little behind in writing, who cares? She'll get there eventually
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:16 AM   #27
mjg2043
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
My kids went to preK knowing all letters and letter sounds. Dd could read basic CVC words going into K. These were my requirements. Schools don't have time to do a great job teaching reading. They do a good job, but the more we support at home the better.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:01 AM   #28
lanwenyi
Registered Users

My Mood:

No. Students do not have to read to get into Kindergarten.

She may be pointing out the "norm" in your area though.

For example, I taught Kinder in a low-income school. I had 32 kids in my class. 31 of those kids had never seen a book, knew no letters, couldn't count to 10 in any language, etc. In that area, a kid could know absolutely nothing on entering Kinder and be right in the middle of the pack. (BTW, of those 32 kids, 30 of them were at CA grade level standards by the end of Kinder).

In the district where my daughter will start Kinder on Wednesday, all the kids come in with beginning reading skills. It is a given that they will all know their letters, sounds, and numbers. Most will have a few sight words and be able to sound out at least a few word families (such as the -at family: cat, hat, mat, bat, etc). A few kids (like my DD) will be already reading and, in essence, have already completed all the CA reading standards for Kinder. In that school, if a child came in knowing nothing, s/he would be VERY low (in the class) and would be getting a lot of pressure from the school to get tutoring, retain the child, or somehow bring the child up to the class. Many people in my area would tell you that a child *must* be reading to enter Kinder. They mean that it is the norm for the area.

Much as I wanted my DD to go to a more diverse school, I won't open enroll her to the school where DH teaches (and I used to teach) b/c they told me straight up that she's so high compared to the other kids there that they'd just move her into 1st grade. My 4yo (5 in Sept) is NOT going to 1st grade, so she's going to attend the neighborhood school, where she'll be high, but not so off the charts that they move her to 1st grade.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:05 AM   #29
mrskfs87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Definitely not true in our area of Kentucky.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

FEEDBACK & MY BLOG
mrskfs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #30
nonipie
Registered Users
seller
seller

No that is not true. In our area as long as you meet the age requirement you can enter Kindergarten. The schools vary widely though. There are many schools in the district where they may know absolutely nothing. Like can't even write their name or know the alphabet. On the other hand the school my son attends, I would say at least 75% where reading independently on some level when school started. This is a public school but here the average income/education level is more indicative of the expectations. That said he would not have been turned away even if he could not read. We HSed for preschool and at our school most children have been in preschool/tutoring programs since 2 and full-day preschool since 3. My DS ended Kindergarten on the same if not above the level of many of those kids. Go with what you feel comfortable with.

ISO:MM Optimus Prime, MM Time Lord and Supreme Dalek
nonipie is offline   Reply With Quote