Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #31
Registered Users
Nope. Not a requirement here.

Sent from my DROID4 using DS Forum

Mama to 1 big guy 9 yo) 1 little guy (2 yo) and one angel (7/06)
tweety612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #32
Registered Users
Re: Have to be able to read to get into Kindergarten?

Nope, dd started kindergarten today and the only requirements were age and residency. I am surprised at how many kids start school not knowing their letters and sounds. My 2 yo knows all of his letters and sounds. That said, I have had several moms comment to me how impressed they are that dd reads so well (in her class at church) because she hadn't started kindergarten yet.
Laurel, SAHM to S 2/07 D 7/09 E 2/11 and I 2/13
lolson3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #33
Registered Users
My Mood:

Well, one also needs to take into account that while some kids know their letters, they still take awhile to read and not all 5 year olds are created equally. Some of them, despite efforts from the parents, are just not mature enough for school but because of how the education system is set up, parents are compelled to put them in school.
Sarah. Christian. Married to Jonathan. Proud Mama of 6 boys! Andrew (10), Luke(7) and James (2). My babies born into heaven : Zach, Toby and Simon WAHM behind Sarah's Stitches HyenaCart and Etsy, 10% off with the code: DSE10 Facebook Wetbags, Snack Sacks, Fleece Soakers, Dresses, Naked Time Mats, Dresses, Wipes, Affordable Weighted Blankets and more! Check out my novels!! Ask for other places to buy.
yellowitchgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #34
Registered Users

^yeah that. My son wanted nothing to do with letters and sounds. He didnt know any at the start of kindy. He was however very interested in science and math so we worked on that stuff. Seriously I don't understand the big push on letters and stuff on kids so early. The world isn't going to stop moving because a kid doesn't know the sound of the letter p at 4 years old. The ones that learn reading later are usually caught up just fine at the end of kindy. IMHO I would rather see them enjoy toddlerhood rather then learning how to write their name. Now if a kid loves doing that kind of stuff that is an entirely different topic but Ive seen lots of parents push their toddlers too much.
Ellasundies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #35
Registered Users

It's not required here. She's trying to scare you.
Kim, a doing what works for us mama to S (06/01), J (03/03), M (12/07) and S (01/11)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote