Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #11
sojomisa's Avatar
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: MD
Posts: 5,465
Re: Theowing up from allergy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseum View Post
They know. The milk was actually formula... They really can't not be able to give other babies formula- you know?? I suppose I could start providing snacks so that he's not exposed on that level... But we attend a Korean church. He's allergic to soy- and there is ALWAYS some form of soy served. So surfaces are contaminated no matter what! It is absolutely rotten! I need to get him better reflux meds, and on something to help his allergies. He always has extremely itchy skin (can wake him at night) and exema patches... Not to mention in fairly certain he has environmental allergies to because of the way he can sneeze (8 or so times in a row) & the mucous. Hah!
Your poor boy! Does he react like that every time he's in the nursery? I hope you find an allergist that you love and get a preventative treatment plan in place.

Advertisement

__________________
Kim, a doing what works for us mama to S (06/01), J (03/03), M (12/07) and S (01/11)

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
reneaumommy
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: IL
Posts: 833
Re: Theowing up from allergy...

I'm allergic to pork. If I eat my stomach hurts but after I throw up I feel so much better. I obviously don't eat it but sometimes I am exposed when out to eat. Maybe it would be better to let him throw up rather than preventing it.
__________________
Jessica
mama to DS1 7.5 DS2 6
Baby due 2.21.16
reneaumommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
mrseum's Avatar
mrseum
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,811
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojomisa

Your poor boy! Does he react like that every time he's in the nursery? I hope you find an allergist that you love and get a preventative treatment plan in place.
He's usually just a little bothered- but I'm sure this time he must have gotten into milk proteins. Our first visit was rediculous! He offered no advice... Only said he could set us up with a nutritionist if needed. Didn't go over the allergy "scale"... Nothing! .
__________________
mama to three sweet, rough & tumble boys who always keep me on my feet:
I-4.28.09
C-4.25.11
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #14
mrseum's Avatar
mrseum
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,811
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneaumommy
I'm allergic to pork. If I eat my stomach hurts but after I throw up I feel so much better. I obviously don't eat it but sometimes I am exposed when out to eat. Maybe it would be better to let him throw up rather than preventing it.
I bet! I know he needs to get it out if it's ingested... It's just the 1st time he ate it he had 4 bites of food that had whey in it. He broke out in hives. 2 hrs later he started vomiting and he kept on for 6 hours!. Luckily he Was breathing ok- but his lips where swollen too. I should have taken him to the ER then!
__________________
mama to three sweet, rough & tumble boys who always keep me on my feet:
I-4.28.09
C-4.25.11
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #15
doulamomma's Avatar
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,731
I don't know a ton about allergies, so you can ignore me if you want but isn't there a risk of the reaction being more severe with each exposure? I wood think it would be worth it to try and get the nursery to be more accommodating to his allergies. If they weren't willing maybe consider not leaving him in the nursery at all. Not ideal I know, but maybe better than him having multiple reactions???

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum
__________________
Lora, blessed to be a wife to Aaron- 11 years and a Mom to DD Ella-7, DD Ava-5, Olivia-3, Weston-1
I sell SCENTSY!!!Labor and delivery resources HERE
doulamomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:44 AM   #16
jbug_4's Avatar
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chase, MI
Posts: 6,762
My Mood:
Re: Theowing up from allergy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
I don't know a ton about allergies, so you can ignore me if you want but isn't there a risk of the reaction being more severe with each exposure? I wood think it would be worth it to try and get the nursery to be more accommodating to his allergies. If they weren't willing maybe consider not leaving him in the nursery at all. Not ideal I know, but maybe better than him having multiple reactions???

Sent from my SCH-I800 using DS Forum
Sometimes- its more common with a peanut allergy to get worse with exposure but it can happen with other allergens.

OP- your not providing his snack? You need to start providing all his food when he's not at home. No one is going to be as careful as you when it comes to his food. People will miss things even when they are trying. There is only one person I trust completely (besides myself) to provide food for dd. My sil and she is completely paranoid about dd getting something from her that could hurt her. Grandma can't even be trusted completely. She is getting better, but its like a label is a foreign object to her and since 2 of dd's allergens aren't listed as allergens because they are not top 8 she only catches milk and peanuts. She doesn't actually read the whole label. She does save them for me to read before dd eats something she makes. We provide dd's meals when she goes to grandmas without us (snacks and drinks grandma gives her stuff that is approved that she keeps- applesauce, fruit, oreos). Snack, meals and drinks are provided everywhere else she goes. If we don't have a label to read it does not go on or in dd. After her first year (when i was blown off by her doc as an over protective parent) she has only had 2 reactions plus eczema. All before testing. eczema is still present because coconut derived ingredients are impossible to avoid completely- if it has soapy suds its got coconut derived ingredients. Luckily they are processed enough that by limiting them we can keep her eczema fairly calm- so she gets her hair washed once a week (with shampoo at least) and we have a bar soap that is pure olive oil. So she can use toothpaste and dish detergent without a big issue.
__________________
SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:15 AM   #17
mrseum's Avatar
mrseum
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,811
My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4

Sometimes- its more common with a peanut allergy to get worse with exposure but it can happen with other allergens.

OP- your not providing his snack? You need to start providing all his food when he's not at home. No one is going to be as careful as you when it comes to his food. People will miss things even when they are trying. There is only one person I trust completely (besides myself) to provide food for dd. My sil and she is completely paranoid about dd getting something from her that could hurt her. Grandma can't even be trusted completely. She is getting better, but its like a label is a foreign object to her and since 2 of dd's allergens aren't listed as allergens because they are not top 8 she only catches milk and peanuts. She doesn't actually read the whole label. She does save them for me to read before dd eats something she makes. We provide dd's meals when she goes to grandmas without us (snacks and drinks grandma gives her stuff that is approved that she keeps- applesauce, fruit, oreos). Snack, meals and drinks are provided everywhere else she goes. If we don't have a label to read it does not go on or in dd. After her first year (when i was blown off by her doc as an over protective parent) she has only had 2 reactions plus eczema. All before testing. eczema is still present because coconut derived ingredients are impossible to avoid completely- if it has soapy suds its got coconut derived ingredients. Luckily they are processed enough that by limiting them we can keep her eczema fairly calm- so she gets her hair washed once a week (with shampoo at least) and we have a bar soap that is pure olive oil. So she can use toothpaste and dish detergent without a big issue.
I absolutely provide him with any and all of his snacks/foods. In fact- I still nurse him and do not consume any of said allergens either. I also watch our bath & body products carefully, and no longer allow my messy 3 year old dairy at home (for the most part- unless he sits at the table once a week or so.)
I read all labels vigilantly. I try to make sure I wipe shopping carts/seats with bleach wipes as needed...
But obviously there are times when he will be exposed.
__________________
mama to three sweet, rough & tumble boys who always keep me on my feet:
I-4.28.09
C-4.25.11
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:20 AM   #18
mrseum's Avatar
mrseum
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,811
My Mood:
I know contact can make his allergies worse. Being in the nursery isn't that avoidable. As it is Ds1 still refuses to go to his PreK classroom (lest I want him screaming the entire time- & yes... I've tried. He is VERY strong willed!) so as it stands I take DS1 with me to service & then if he acts up to the nursery. If I have him & DS2... He'd still be exposed. Even if I decided to take them both to PreK because they have birthday parties/snacks. :sigh:
__________________
mama to three sweet, rough & tumble boys who always keep me on my feet:
I-4.28.09
C-4.25.11
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
jbug_4's Avatar
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chase, MI
Posts: 6,762
My Mood:
Re: Theowing up from allergy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseum View Post
I know contact can make his allergies worse. Being in the nursery isn't that avoidable. As it is Ds1 still refuses to go to his PreK classroom (lest I want him screaming the entire time- & yes... I've tried. He is VERY strong willed!) so as it stands I take DS1 with me to service & then if he acts up to the nursery. If I have him & DS2... He'd still be exposed. Even if I decided to take them both to PreK because they have birthday parties/snacks. :sigh:
Try talking to them about separating him during snack and making sure his area is wiped down. That will help with the contact and the other kids slipping him something- this is how we think dd had her first peanut reaction. We're not entirely sure if another child touched her or if they actually gave her something- the baby sitter didn't see anything and there were 8 other kids there. It will only take a few seconds for them to clean him a spot- especially if you provide the bleach wipes. Sometimes you have to be a real pain in the rear to keep them safe and sometimes all it takes is a simple request. Also if they use any kind of supplies- crayons or whatever- provide him a bag of his only stuff and make sure all staff knows those are only to be used by him. I am not sure what kind of reactions he has so that might be over kill. Based on dd's peanut reaction she has potential for a ANA reaction. We were told that if her reaction had been oral (her entire face was swollen with eyes swollen shut) she probably wouldn't have lived- they had lunch and she was placed in a room by herself for nap. No one knew she was even having a reaction until 2 hours later when I arrived to pick her up. DD's starting kindy this year, we chose her school based on there experience with food allergies. they have a kid this past year who had all his stuff dedicated to him and no one was allowed to use it but him- including a lap top and school provided supplies. The nursery or even the pre-k (if he has his on supply box and stuff he might deal better with going) might be willing to do a lot more then they are now. Talk to them and see what they say.

Bath & body is a pain in the rear . We've got a pretty good handle on it after 4 years, but there is only so much we can eliminate and still have a clean kid.
__________________
SAHM to LR 7/26/07 and IHM 10/6/10, wife to a self proclaimed genius, ex-navy guy. Going places and doing things that I always dreamed of, but never imagined I would.
jbug_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:13 PM   #20
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,852
My Mood:
Re: Theowing up from allergy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrseum View Post
Thanks! I had given him some colic calm- & he never did get sick, there where a few instances when his reflux was so bad I thought he would. Also- I've been reading advice that says if a child has ingested an allergen NOT to give benadryl right away because it could mask symptoms & turn dangerous quickly.., do idk!
Sorry - I wasn't clear on that. No, I don't give Benadryl just for exposure, only if there are mild symptoms. If there were serious symptoms, we'd be going for the EpiPen.

Glad your little guy was OK.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.