Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 AM   #1
Mercy24
Registered Users
seller
seller

I want to EC

I bought a baby bjorn little potty a few months ago hoping to EC DS but he despises the thing. He's almost 8 months and if I just let him sit on it he throws himself off screaming, if I try to hold him in the EC pose over it he freaks because he doesn't like feeling restrained. How do I get him to go on the potty?

Advertisement

Old 07-26-2012, 11:30 AM   #2
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Books, songs, toys, etc while he sits on the potty are helpful. Also make sure he's in a good mood to start with. You want to make the potty a relaxing, happy place. Do not make him sit on it if he doesn't want to! Just keep offering when you see an opportunity and be patient. He may be too big to like the traditional EC hold now.

Make sure he always sees you go on the potty. Talk about what you are doing. Then trying sitting him on the big potty sometime, he may find it exciting! Baby Bjorn makes a great potty seat for LOs to let them sit on the big potty (with you supporting them too at that age, of course).

Also, naked time and working on bodily awareness may be beneficial. It could be a tough time to start EC if he is working on mobility, he may not have much attention to spare. But it never hurts to start working on EC; you just may have to be more patient before you start getting catches.

Just my thoughts. Hope that helps!!!
Old 07-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

How many times have you tried it? DD resisted the first couple of times on her BBLP.

If you can't make the potty or toilet work just yet, maybe try having him pee while sitting on a prefold while you make the cueing sound? Or maybe you can demonstrate what it is for, like another recent thread, and let him see you pee in it?
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
colin-mylilguy
Registered Users
seller

Re: I want to EC

I had this same experience at this age so I started encouraging him to pee in the bath tub. Then one day I put the little potty in the tub and he pretty much ignored it. I sat it in there the next time (I never put much water in the tub and I have non-slip mats) and he played with it. Then finally, after a few times of doing this, he just let me sit him on it. He didn't pee that time but since he would sit on it, he did eventually pee on it in the bath tub. Then, once he got used to that, I moved it to the counter in the bathroom next to the tub and he would sit on it and pee before getting in the tub or just whenever... Baby steps.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
flowergirls
Registered Users
seller

I agree with all of the above. We do lots of books and songs while on the potty. My LO is about 10 months now and we started with the BBLP about a couple of months ago. She wasn't quite sure at first, but we did lots of books and it's one of her favorite places to read. We also gave her a couple of toys to chew on (like shoes! For some reason, my DD loves to chew on shoes and door stops), that she wouldn't have access to otherwise, so it made it a bit more of a special place to be.
And yes also for open door policy on the potty. YOu might also try going on the potty and asking if he wants to be on the potty at the same time. Just a thought, but obviously, be prepared for him to crawl off the potty as soon as he pees, which means the BBLP can tip over.
flowergirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
flowergirls
Registered Users
seller

I agree with all of the above. We do lots of books and songs while on the potty. My LO is about 10 months now and we started with the BBLP about a couple of months ago. She wasn't quite sure at first, but we did lots of books and it's one of her favorite places to read. We also gave her a couple of toys to chew on (like shoes! For some reason, my DD loves to chew on shoes and door stops), that she wouldn't have access to otherwise, so it made it a bit more of a special place to be.
And yes also for open door policy on the potty. YOu might also try going on the potty and asking if he wants to be on the potty at the same time. Just a thought, but obviously, be prepared for him to crawl off the potty as soon as he pees, which means the BBLP can tip over.
flowergirls is offline   Reply With Quote