Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do you think this is an impossible schedule for DH?

I dont think this will work. and it will be an especially bad plan if baby is high needs at all. you cant assume your baby will be on the same schedule as mom and dad.....

Advertisement

doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #12
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodah View Post
I dont think this will work. and it will be an especially bad plan if baby is high needs at all. you cant assume your baby will be on the same schedule as mom and dad.....
See, I'm not crazy for thinking this. DH thinks he's able to adapt to any environment though. I'll have a talk with him tonight. If anything, he'll have his trial run during my maternity leave and then come end of January, he can seal his own fate. Thanks for the input!
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #13
hmmclever
Registered Users
seller

no way! that sounds like a nightmare and a disaster waiting to happen!
Laura, wife to my hard working husband Brandan, mom to Luke (5/08) and my VBAC babies Clara (12/09) Asher (4/11) and Lydia (3/13). "I expect to pass through life but once, if, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good things I can do to any fellow human being, let me do it now, and not deter it or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again." -William Penn
hmmclever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
Green Decals
Registered Users
Formerly: mumma1010
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know I am the lone voice here, but I think it can work. There are essentially only 2 blocks of time when baby would need to sleep during the day - between when you leave in the morning until DS wakes up, and from the time he gets home from dropping DS off to the time he leaves to pick DS up. Basically, you would need the baby to sleep from 7:15 (gives you time to get baby to sleep before leaving the house) until 9 or 10, and then again from noon-2:30. This shouldn't be a huge deal, honestly, especially the noon-2:30 time (give DH a chance to nap, in addition to the 4-5 hours he would get in the morning). We did 2 years of half-day pre-k/kindy and we live 1300 feet from the school, but the sidewalks are not passable in the winter. DS2 would fall asleep as soon as we left the driveway to drop off DS1, and woke when we got home after picking him up. In the months of nicer weather, I would walk him and DS2 would fall asleep in the stroller, so when I got home I would just park the stroller inside the door and he would wake up on our way back to the school 2 1/2 hours later. With a new baby, and the convenience of an infant carrier - piece of cake.

If he didn't already have this schedule and be accustomed to it, and if he didn't usually sleep for just 5 hours, I would probably think differently. But, given those factors, and the specific times of your DS' kindy - I say it is doable, totally.
Green Decals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #15
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If he has any type of long drive for work I'd say absolutely not. There's just to much at stake to be driving when you're body is exhausted.
Could you take on a kid or 2 babysitting to suppliment your income? That way you could both get decent sleep.

Last edited by irishmama2; 08-06-2012 at 10:49 PM.
irishmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #16
an_aurora
Registered Users

I'm on his schedule and there's no way that would work. He's going to be sleeping the exhausted sleep of the overtired and he's not going to be able to wake up and take care of a newborn. And the only way it would work is if the baby sleeps all day.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:30 AM   #17
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DH is feeling encouraged because my father had the same exact schedule with me growing up. He would come home, bring my older sisters to school, sleep, make me breakfast, sleep and then bring me to kindy at noon. I played with my dolls and read books until it was time for school. Then when I got out of kindy, I'd go back home with him, he'd sleep, and then I'd just wait for my mom and sisters, who would then play with me and read to me. My dad is saying it's doable because he's been there, done that.

And as to supplementing my income with another job, that's completely impossible unfortunately. We have a social circle where many other moms do this and I'm the only one with an actual career and a decent income. We live in a city where the taxes constantly go up (we pay 4k in property taxes for a home with less than a quarter of an acre of land) and with a dwindling job market in our area, it'd be foolish to quit.

I asked DH about this again last night and he just said "Can you please just let me try? If it doesn't work, we can turn to the Y, my mom, or even your mom. But I really want to try." Then he went on the roof to patch our shingles...so I couldn't be mean to him and nag. He's trying.

Last edited by keonli; 08-07-2012 at 06:31 AM.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:38 AM   #18
doodah
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
See, I'm not crazy for thinking this. DH thinks he's able to adapt to any environment though. I'll have a talk with him tonight. If anything, he'll have his trial run during my maternity leave and then come end of January, he can seal his own fate. Thanks for the input!
give him a shot but be prepared with a second plan. All this scheduling and planning is assuming the baby cooperates and really, you cant expect a newborn under 4 or 8 weeks to be on a reliable routine at all. Even after that, it will be important to work within what the baby can do and is good for the baby. He's never taken care of two kids before right? I think he is underestimating this.

as for what you dad did....this was with all school agers right? big difference there.
doodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 AM   #19
an_aurora
Registered Users

Yeah I could do that with my 5 and 7 year olds, but with a younger kid? No way! My youngest is only 3 and obviously he can't be unattended while I sleep-- he'd have the house burnt down in minutes!

Maybe there is a local homeschooling family that has a teen who will watch the baby for a few hours. We have a big Mennonite community here so they generally have lots of kids, the older ones are used to infants, and are available during school hours.
an_aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #20
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Is there any way your kindy kid can get into morning kindergarten? And if so, would you be able to take him? If so, then your DH might be able to get a bit more sleep if the new baby can settle into the same schedule.

It looks like it might suck...but since it's made sucky by the kindergarten schedule, it IS only temporary. I think anyone could stick that out for just 5 months (Jan to May) Then you can all reevaluate in the summer again.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote