Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #1
crunch!910
Registered Users

should I send my soon to be 3 yr old to preschool?

preschool starts Sep 4, he'll be 3 years old on Sep 10th. He's been potty trained over a year.

It is $50/mo and will leave us pretty tight on money I'm not sure where we will be living when he's nearly 5 years old, and depending on which city/county/school and their specific cut off dates, he might be able to go to school just as he's turning 5, or he might have to wait until he's just turning 6 years old. So if we start him this year, he might get as many as 3 years in preschool, or only 2. I would prefer for him to have 2 years in preschool. If we wait until he's nearly 4, he might only get 1 year in preschool. ALSO, just lost our part time babysitter so now a family member (boys' great grandmother) is watching them full time. It's a bit much for her, and it'd give her a break from DS1 for a couple hours two days a week, until if/when we find another part time sitter.

So, what are your opinions? I've talked to the teacher and she teaches SO much that I'd never even think to teach at this age - of course there are colors, shapes, numbers, directions, etc, but things like address, parents names, last name, left/right and refining all sorts of vocabulary and other things. He's pretty shy, sometimes refuses to play with other kids in a big setting. Doesn't often talk to any strangers and takes awhile to warm up. I don't think he's overly shy - I think its a normal cautious/shyness and I know he can play well with other kids, but I do think it'd be good for him to socialize with other children because I have only 1 friend with a girl his age and he doesn't always like playing with her because she's sometimes a bully.

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #2
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: should I send my soon to be 3 yr old to preschool?

I'd plan based on the state cut off date for starting Kindergarten as many private preschools base their cutoffs on that as well.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
tweety612
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would. Well, I did with my ODS. He started 2 weeks before his 3rd birthday. Technically it was a daycare, but they had a preschool program. I started him 2-3 half-days and then did full days when he was older. He loved it. He didn't start K until 4 months before he turned 6 (January bday).

Sent from my DROID4 using DS Forum
Old 08-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I would. My kids LOVE preschool. I don't care about academics, but I love the relationships they form with other adults and kids.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:24 PM   #5
emerino
Registered Users

I think it depends on your LO whether he should go or not. I sent my kids to mothers-day-out when they were little for 2 days a week. DD1 was almost 3. She was on the shy side, too. When I picked her up on the last day of school, she was just as shy with her teachers as she was on the first day. So the next year I kept them home and she blossomed socially. I think she wasn't ready to be put in a situation that made her socially anxious. She went to full-time preschool when she was almost 5 and she was the teachers pet and a favorite among most of her classmates.

So, I really think you have to do what's best for your DS. He may do well in a class setting, but he may not be ready. However, if he will do ok socially, I don't think there's any harm in having him do potentially 3 years of preschool, if that is your concern.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

I would send him. I am sending my three year old to an in home center and she gets tons of preschool-like activities. Next year I may send her to 4k, then kindy. I haven't decided whether I will homeschool her or send her to school but no matter what she'll probably do 4k and Kindy. Do you have 4k in your state? As far as cutoff goes, in our state it's September 1st if that's at all helpful. And most schools aren't too lenient on the cutoff, unless you really push for testing. .
Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #7
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

If you think he's ready and/or would benefit then do it! I started DD2 when she was 2.5, 2 days a week. She had been in a daycare setting then I stopped working. She asked for 4 months straight when she would go to school and see friends again. She was so excited to start, and never looked back. DS2 I'll start at 3.5 and he'll start K at 5.5, so we'll do 2 years of preschool.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #8
Mac & Cheeses mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
If you feel they are ready I would do it. DD1 started 2 weeks shy of 3 and that's because I found a place that would take he that young (she Pl'ed to go to school). She went 5 days full days.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

I'd send him if you can afford it. Sounds like it's a bit iffy, but if you can make it work, it'll be worth it.

My son is doing 2 years of pre-k. It was tight budget wise the first year because we had to pay. This year is the free vpk year so that's a relief. He's one that really needed the extra stimulation and it has been wonderful for him.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #10
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would send him..the benefits in my opinion outway the negatives.