Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #11
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko
Can you ask friends and family to wait until you get home to visit? This would help with a revolving door of visitors.
This. And actually it's your own visitors that take the most time and make some moms the most nervous about exposing breast when time to nurse.

Advertisement

Old 08-06-2012, 01:13 PM   #12
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Hospital Door Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
Can you ask friends and family to wait until you get home to visit? This would help with a revolving door of visitors.
I actually expect less visitors this time around than with my first born last year. I'm not sure how many visitors other people have, but we only had about 20 total visitors. Yes, that may sound like a lot, but several were couples who came as pairs, and about half of them were my husband's coworkers at the hospital. Hubby has a new job, so I don't expect all those ex-coworkers to come & visit this time.

I'm open to visitors at the hospital for several reasons:

1. The hospital is closer to where most of our friends live. We live 30-45 minutes or more from most of our friends.
2. I'd prefer visitors at the hospital than at home. I feel like the house needs to be in order when people drop by the house. Additionally, in my experience, people stay longer at your house than when they stop by the hospital.
3. The company would be nice. With this being a second baby, my husband will need to spend more time away from the hospital with our daughter instead of being there with me & the new baby the whole time like with our first born.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have a gown/ shirt that will allow you to nurse while visitors are there? My baby is 26 hours old and nursing NON-STOP. I think any wording is going to be fine. Most people seem to get that after a birth mom and baby are often indisposed .
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom View Post
Do you have a gown/ shirt that will allow you to nurse while visitors are there? My baby is 26 hours old and nursing NON-STOP. I think any wording is going to be fine. Most people seem to get that after a birth mom and baby are often indisposed .
Congrats on your newborn, mama!

Honestly, unless it's another breastfeeding mom that I know, I'd probably kick whoever it is out if it's time for the baby to nurse. Maybe because I was a first time breastfeeder last time, but I recall being exposed a lot while trying to make sure my DD lauched on correctly. Also, the lactation consultant was FANTASTIC to come & help us whenever we needed her! I think you learn a lot after your first baby and I won't be so afraid to speak up.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
mama2seth&trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am not shy about nursing at all. I felt as though (last time in the hospital) that room was temporarily my bedroom and if others felt uncomfortable with my nursing in MY room they could step out. Just like in my own home I do not cover up especially early on when mama and baby are learning together how to nurse. I do, however, expect people to knock at the door and wait for an ok to come in. A simple sign like "please knock and wait for a response" type of sign may be helpful.
mama2seth&trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 PM   #16
mama2madj
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm slightly shocked at the concern over people potentially seeing you nurse your newborn. I guess not everyone is as "get over it" as I am. I've also had 5 kids to get over my breast exposure phobia though (Not that it was ever really a big deal, but I did use a cover with the first and second)

A knock and wait for permission to enter should be expected though, IMO, just like in your own home
Old 08-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
mama2seth&trey
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama2madj View Post
I'm slightly shocked at the concern over people potentially seeing you nurse your newborn. I guess not everyone is as "get over it" as I am. I've also had 5 kids to get over my breast exposure phobia though (Not that it was ever really a big deal, but I did use a cover with the first and second)

A knock and wait for permission to enter should be expected though, IMO, just like in your own home
Are you post stalking me my sis? I was enjoying reading your post then I relized who you are.
mama2seth&trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I can't believe so many mamas have used signs. I can't believe a visitor would walk into a hospital room without knocking and being welcomed in!
Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #19
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley'sMomma View Post
I can't believe so many mamas have used signs. I can't believe a visitor would walk into a hospital room without knocking and being welcomed in!
Yes, it was surprising for me the first time around. In my experience, there was a knock & then the door would open without a response from someone in the room. I'd never do that at someone's home much less to someone in the hospital!
Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
yogamama28
Registered Users
seller

I usually just kept the curtain around my bed half closed. It shielded my bed from the door so people could come in without getting a direct sneak peek. It gave me time to find out who it was and decide for myself if I wanted them to be a part of what was going on or if I wanted them to stay on the other side of the curtain. It allowed me to stay super relaxed while feeding my little nursling but still able to visit.
yogamama28 is offline   Reply With Quote