Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #21
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Hospital Door Sign

I just want to reiterate that newborns can nurse constantly! Sorry, my baby is 50 hours old, and naked nursing has been pretty much all we're doing! So even with a good sign, sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do for the nursling .

Advertisement

momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #22
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomom View Post
you just gotta do what you gotta do for the nursling .
I agree wholeheartedly, mama. I would never not feed my baby because of this or if I were in public if the baby were hungry!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #23
bruenderbaby
Registered Users

My Mood:

My first was a c-sec, so I was in the hospital for almost six days after having him. It was nice to have visitors. It will be especially nice, since your hubby will be with your dd more than at the hospital. I say use the DO NOT DISTURB Sign when you are tired or if nursing is difficult (I found to be true after a c-sec). And have a "Please knock and wait for response" sign for the other times. I also say utilize your nurses! That's what they are there for. I didn't use them enough with my first and it caused me undo stress trying to figure out how to get the baby by myself, and other things. They chose to be postpartem nurses, because they want to be there for recovering mothers and the babies. Good luck and hope your recovery is quick.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #24
swrlgrl105
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

When my DS was born, we had an awful time learning how to nurse. Plus I have a really large chest, so I didnt want my big ol boobs flopped out for whoever decided to pop into my room, but I had no problem being like "Oh looks like Eli is hungry again, we are having a tough time, thanks for stopping by" and they usually got the hint I would prefer to be alone with my baby
Old 08-08-2012, 02:47 PM   #25
finleyjudemommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalumna View Post
Hi mamas, I am looking for help in wording a sign to post on the outside of my hospital door during my stay something that communicates "I hope someone doesn't walk in while I'm breastfeeding".

Last year a nurse posted a written sign that just said "Visitors, please check at nurses station before entering". But I honestly don't feel it's the nurses place to be my bouncer nor do I want to be a burden on them.

I'd like to hear your suggestions on a friendly sign to post on the door. Please keep in mind, this is a sign that I not be able to flip over frequently as I will be having a C-Section for my breech baby, so don't think I will be running back & forth to the door before & after each nursing session.

I did find a cute door hanger on Etsy that says " It takes a Hot Mama to make warm milk - Breastfeeding in Progress". But again, I won't be able to hang & remove this each time we breastfeed.

Maybe something like " Please knock. My Mom & I are learning how to breastfeed."

Thanks so much for your help!

Read More:

Do Interruptions Interfere with Early Breastfeeding?

Too Many Interruptions to Mothers & Babies in Hospital

Evaluating the Possible Effects of Interruptions on Breastfeeding Outcomes and Maternal Satisfaction

Operational Failures and Interruptions in Hospital Nursing

Interruptions to breastfeeding dyads on postpartum day 1 in a university hospital
I like the Etsy one...I don't think there is any need to hang and remove it..just leave it up and have people knock anyway...PS...thanks for the idea, I may steal it....
Old 08-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #26
momomom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Oh, OK, sorry, I was just worried for you! My IL's are coming tomorrow and after 18 grandkids, my FIL still gets a little uncomfortable at the sight of boobs and I told dh- this time he is just going to have to deal with it- LOL! (May I add his other 4 children are GIRLS. I am the only DIL!)

Good luck with your stay and the visitors.

Have you decided on the wording? If I ever have another in the hossy, it is a great idea. I will just write it in my journal now so I can look back in the future.
momomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #27
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Thank you all for your suggestions & advice.

My scheduled repeat c-section is tomorrow.

For my hospital door, I've choosen to make a sign that says:

VISITORS: Please knock & wait for a response before entering. Thank you!

Additionally, for my friends who have asked if we'll be accepting visitors, I told them not on Thursday because I want my DD to meet her brother first & also have some time practicing to breastfeed the new baby, however phone calls in the evening are OK. I let them know I'll be open to visitors beginning Friday.

After some more thought and online reading, I've chosen to make 2 other signs to tape to the baby's bassinet:

Iím a BREASTFED Baby
PLEASE ~
NO pacifiers
NO formula
NO bottles

My mom & I are learning how to breastfeed.
Please give me to my mom if I am hungry.
Thank you!

AND

Old 08-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #28
jcalumna
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrlgrl105 View Post
..."Oh looks like Eli is hungry again, we are having a tough time, thanks for stopping by"...
This is a good idea! Thanks, mama!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:20 AM   #29
clatchford2011
Registered Users
seller

-DDC-

Honestly it may be a little difficult. When I was nursing DD literally I nursed her every hour or so. I had a csection and I had the please knock before entering mom and I are learning to breastfeed. But I didn't care who came by because if I am gonna nurse I am gonna nurse with or without someone there. Baby needs to eat! LOL but if I have co workers coming or something I am sure to tell them or others who aren't very close to be sure to call before coming to the hospital.

But for family & friends I just nurse regardless.

Catie : Married to my Soldier and bestfriend for 4 awesome years,
Mommy to my little sunshine Isabel Born 12/30/2008
and my little rainbow Jacob Born 11/15/2012
clatchford2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #30
eguisgirl
Registered Users
Formerly: en**doza
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think your signs are fine but the do not retract one is probably not necessary. After the first bath, you will probably be on your own with diaper care or present. As an L&D RN (and a non-circing mama) I have never in 12 years of nursing seen someone retract a newborn. That usually happens at a ped's office- not at birth. By now, I hope you are having a wonderful postpartum time!!
Hi! I'm Dawn. Wife and no label mama to my men ages 20, 12, 8 and 4 years old.Catholic God seeker. Homeschooling mama. Part time STAT and PICC RN. College Student (again). Volunteer with the MORELove Project and Union Gospel Mission.
eguisgirl is offline   Reply With Quote