Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2012, 11:28 PM   #11
mamajoe
Registered Users
seller

Re: Lets See Your Canning Shelves

Mine is finally full enough to play we live in inlaws old house and this cabinet was built specifically for jars

Whole thing

Top two shelves

Yellow rasp jam, red rasp jam, rasp/saskatoon jam, zucchini relish, green relish, cherry juice, bread and butter pickles, pears
Then, raspberry ice cream topping, cherry ice cream topping, sour cherries, dilled carrots and bread and butter pickles

Bottom 2

Sour cherries, cherrie juice, apricots, peaches, sweet cherries, dill pickles (4 more jars in the canner now)
Salsa - this shelf will be all tomato stuff when the tomatoes are ready.

Super thanks to all you ladies!! this ismy first year canning (got my canner 2 weeks ago oyi!) and you ladies have been soooo helpful and patient with all my silly questions! Thanks!!

Eta: i have tons of veggies too ... But the beans, peas, carrots all go in the freezer (otherwise we waste too much )

Advertisement

Last edited by mamajoe; 08-16-2012 at 11:37 PM.
mamajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #12
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloecat View Post
well, i've been doing it like that for over 15 years and have never had problems.
I do this too. We always have with things like that...jam, salsa, applebutter, applesauce...etc. Anything boiling hot that goes directly from the hot pot to jar when I can it. My parents did and they've been canning for 25 years. My grandma did it that way too and so did my great gram and she's 80. Never had any problems.

I'll get pix maybe next week of mine. This weekend I'm too busy canning and freezing things. LOL.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #13
cblurose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

wow beautiful pictures. wish i could learn/do this myself.
cblurose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #14
irishmama2
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajoe View Post
Mine is finally full enough to play we live in inlaws old house and this cabinet was built specifically for jars

Whole thing

Top two shelves

Yellow rasp jam, red rasp jam, rasp/saskatoon jam, zucchini relish, green relish, cherry juice, bread and butter pickles, pears
Then, raspberry ice cream topping, cherry ice cream topping, sour cherries, dilled carrots and bread and butter pickles

Bottom 2

Sour cherries, cherrie juice, apricots, peaches, sweet cherries, dill pickles (4 more jars in the canner now)
Salsa - this shelf will be all tomato stuff when the tomatoes are ready.

Super thanks to all you ladies!! this ismy first year canning (got my canner 2 weeks ago oyi!) and you ladies have been soooo helpful and patient with all my silly questions! Thanks!!

Eta: i have tons of veggies too ... But the beans, peas, carrots all go in the freezer (otherwise we waste too much )
That looks awesome! Question though.....Do you store all your canned items with the rings on?
Old 08-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #15
mamajoe
Registered Users
seller

]
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmama2 View Post
That looks awesome! Question though.....Do you store all your canned items with the rings on?
Yep, always have, grandma always did, mil always did. I lnow people say you can't tell if a jar loses its seal, but with snap lids you can tell if something goes bad. I had a jar of bread and butter pickles pop, the lid may reseal on the edges, but with snap lids the "button" will pop, so u know . Also the bernardin book that I bought with my jars says they recommend storing (their brand of jars) with rings loosely on. I worry them getting bumped around without the rings on will pop the seals.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #16
maieranne
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Love the pics ladies! Fantastic!
My modest stash so far.... not really pic worthy
5 - 1/2 pints of peach butter
20 quarts applesauce from last fall
12 pints spaghetti sauce (thinking I should have done qt's but pt's look like I got more accomplished ) I'm a first timer with sauce....
7 pints diced tomatoes
7 pints pickled peppers
Old 08-24-2012, 09:44 PM   #17
opheliaspins
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm in awe of you ladies, these all look amazing. Do you all grow the fruits/vegetables yourself?
Old 08-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #18
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opheliaspins View Post
I'm in awe of you ladies, these all look amazing. Do you all grow the fruits/vegetables yourself?
i think most of us either grow them ourselves or pick them at local fields/orchards.

i grow a huge garden and have several fruit trees and berry patches on my land. it's just something necessary with the amount of people i need to feed and grocery budget
Old 08-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #19
smores
Registered Users

I only have one shelf full of pint jars stacked 2 high, or I'd share. Love your canned goods!
smores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #20
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

Wow... subbing this is just amazing. I intended to do a ton this year but my garden never hit the production I anticipated. I have most of what I did get done shoved in boxes in the cupboard under my oven.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote